Gun Show Tips

B2Tall

Stirrer of the Pot
Over the last 6 months I've worked quite a few gun shows for a dealer friend of mine. I've learned quite a bit being on the other side of the table and I thought I'd throw out some advice and tips to make your trip to a show more satisfying.

1. If you see it....buy it.
If you're going to a show with the intention of buying a specific gun, and you see that gun for a reasonable price....buy it right then and there. Don't go wandering off in an attempt to find it elsewhere for 10 bucks cheaper. I see it 3 or 4 times every show just at our tables - shopper is really interested in a gun, says "let me think about it" (translation: I wanna find it somewhere else for a dollar less) and walks away, comes back 2 hours later looking to buy it, gun is sold and no more are in stock at the time. It happens all over the show. Demand is outstripping supply and dealers can't just pick and choose what guns to order like they could 2 years ago. It might be a while before you see "your" gun again. This is especially true for a number of hot (no, not stolen!) guns like the Shield, FN 5.7, XDS, Sig 938, PMR30, and a handful of others. Don't be one of those disappointed people walking out empty-handed saying "I should've bought it when I first saw it". It happens a lot more than you might think. If you see it and it's in your budget, buy it.

2. Do your homework
If you're looking for a specific gun(s), do a little research yourself. Check prices (remember - the Internet is always cheaper but we all know the risks involved in buying sight unseen from some dealer out in the online netherworld.) and determine a reasonable price range for what you're looking for. Also, if you have any really detailed questions about a firearm, look it up yourself. Most dealers work with 1000+ different firearms and nobody knows everything about all of them, so if you really need to know the exact length of the trigger pull in millimeters, or some detail about the steel used in the barrel, or how much an empty mag weighs for a certain pistol....find out for yourself. I actually heard those questions (and scores more like them). I'm convinced that most people ask questions like those just to try to impress anyone within earshot (like the morons at the range we've all had to deal with), but if something like that really is crucial in your eye then you should find out for yourself and not rely on a salesperson.

3. Don't Lie
Don't lie to a dealer about how much less you can get a particular gun for through another dealer. 95% of the time they're going to know you're lying. These gun shows are tight-knit communities and while a dealer might not know the exact price of every other gun from every other dealer at the show, they do know how other dealers tend to price their firearms and what kind of markup they have. Dealers also have internet access so don't try to BS anyone about online prices and availability either. And when a dealer knows you're lying, he/she now has the upper hand. Most of the time "the lie" is a loss for both the dealer and the customer. Once a customer's bluff has been called, 99% of the time they walk away and won't come back because they'd look like a fool. Some will now actually pay more elsewhere just to save face. So in the end the original dealer loses a sale and the customer either pays more elsewhere or leaves w/o the gun they really wanted, all because they didn't want to look like a fool. This also happens every show, most recently with an M1A.

4. Don't dicker too much on price
Either the gun is in your price range or it's not. If the dealer says "that's the price", then that's the price. Dealers aren't impressed with what some other guy is selling it for (assuming you're not lying as per above). Sure, go ahead and ask if they can do any better but don't expect a miracle. This isn't regular retail where the markups are 50-100%........not even close. Dealer "A" might have gotten a good deal on Glocks because he bought a ton of them while dealer "B" has a better price on S&Ws, and so on. Gun shows aren't cheap and a typical mid-size dealer needs to sell 40-50 guns just to break even. This ties in with point #1 - you snooze, you lose. A short while back we got 4 of the new Sig .308 ARs. We were the only ones who had them at the show. I was dealing with a guy who absolutely wanted one but kept quibbling over the price ($1699). We had one left and I kept telling the guy that it was a hot gun and that we'd have no problem selling it at that price. He wanted it for $50 less but we weren't budging. After 10 minutes of him begging and pleading (for $50 on a $1700 gun!!) my boss walked over, said "excuse me, I just sold this" and took it out of the guy's hands. The guy just stood there with his mouth open. Another customer heard we had one of these rifles, asked my boss the price, and said "I'll take it". End of story. One guy got his rifle, the other got the shaft all because he was being petty.

Anyway, those are some important lessons I've learned. Feel free to chime in with any of your own.

Sounds like you hit all the points. Sounds like all we are talking about here is having a little bit of common sense and being an informed and respectful consumer. Most of the comments should apply to any and all of your specialized consumer choices--say TVs, appliances, cars etal.

Those are valuable lessons...when I was younger and ignorant, I must say you are right on the money on that -- I snooze, I lose.

Thanks for the information. I have walked away just to come back and find it gone several times. Good advice!

Exactly right. Still consider my self a noob in the gun community however, I do have some sales experience at swap meets. Excellent post. Thanks.

Some good points there from the other side of the table. I haven't worked the other side but have seen some things that make you shake your head.

Don't get mad when the dealer refuses to break the law. I saw one case where a fellow from Idaho got mad at a dealer for refusing to sell him a handgun at a show in SC. He couldn't understand why the dealer was making a beg deal of of refusing to take his drivers license as sufficient paperwork.

If you are buying a used gun don't get upset that there is a scratch or wear mark on it. One little scratch or wear mark does not reduce the value of a gun by 60%.

If you buy a gun then it becomes a used gun immediately. Don't get upset when a dealer doesn't offer you retail price for your used gun as a trade-in on a new gun.

Expect a dealer to make a profit on each gun he sells. If he sells guns at the same thing he pays for them he has to do a tremendous volume to make a profit.

As B2Tall says, some dickering is fine but don't expect him to spend all day haggling over $5.

If the place is crowded don't stand there in the way asking stupid questions or telling "war" stories.

Cash - A dealer has to pay the credit card company if you use a credit card. If you are going to stand there haggling over the price be sure you have cash and can pass the NICS. Also if you are planning to write a check be sure that the dealer will take it before you get too involved.

My opinions only!

IMO:

I agree with 2 and 3. It shows intelligence and integrity with purchases.

As a buyer, I don't agree with 1 and 4. I understand if its an extremely rare firearm, but in this day and age, I can go find pretty much anything I want if I truly wanted it. As far as price, if you have done your homework, and tell the truth, and they still won't budge, so be it. As a buyer, I'll go somewhere else. If that gets a seller a little upset, sorry? If that means I have to wait a week, month, year, so be it. Patience is a virtue long lost.

To me, gun shows I have visited, bring selection and abundance. Price is the same or higher then the local shops.

Earlier this year, I went to a gun show for the first time in several years. Ok, close to 15 years. It's definitely a different landscape now - pretty much all dealers, and few (if any) individual/recreational sellers. It's basically like having a bunch of gun stores under one roof.

By contrast - when I went to my first one "back in the day," the atmosphere was much more flea-market-like. It was about 50% dealers and 50% recreational sellers. Way more used guns than new guns, and all sorts of interesting and odd things to gawk at and buy. Sadly, in my 20s, I think all I could afford at the time was a couple of holsters for my little Makarov!

Some good points there from the other side of the table. I haven't worked the other side but have seen some things that make you shake your head.

Don't get mad when the dealer refuses to break the law. I saw one case where a fellow from Idaho got mad at a dealer for refusing to sell him a handgun at a show in SC. He couldn't understand why the dealer was making a beg deal of of refusing to take his drivers license as sufficient paperwork.

Happens all the time.

If you are buying a used gun don't get upset that there is a scratch or wear mark on it. One little scratch or wear mark does not reduce the value of a gun by 60%.

If you buy a gun then it becomes a used gun immediately. Don't get upset when a dealer doesn't offer you retail price for your used gun as a trade-in on a new gun.

Again, all the time. It's like an episode of "Pawnstars" where people grossly overvalue their used merchandise. And they get really PO'd when a dealer won't pay them top dollar. Example: A few shows ago a guy comes in with a PF9 he's looking to trade in. It's in nice shape but we sell them new for $279. We offer him $125 (the gunsmith we use will charge us $25 to give it a thorough one-over, test fire it, and clean it. We'd tag it at $200 and end up taking $180 for it, making a whopping $30 on it). He says he won't take a penny less than $225. Here's a snippet of the conversation:

Me: "If we give you $225 for it, what do you think we can sell it for?? Bear in mind that we have new ones right here for $279".
Him: (getting angry) "Sell it for $250!"
Me: "Would you buy a used gun from a stranger for $250 when you can get a new one for $279?"
Him: "F this! This is BS!" as he stomps away, red-faced.

Hours later, and after visits with several other dealers, he's still wandering around the show with his uber-valuable Kel-Tec, looking a bit bewildered. Keep in mind you'll get much more money if you sell your gun privately than trying to get a dealer to take it off your hands. While most people don't get as angry as that particular gentleman, virtually all are stunned at how little a dealer is willing to pay them for their used piece. If you get 50% of what you paid for your gun, consider yourself lucky (unless it's a collectible).

On a side note, if you're looking to buy a used gun you'll probably have much more luck negotiating a better price than with a new gun. Dealers are much more flexible with their used gun prices, especially if it's a current production model. It's not uncommon to knock another 10-15% off the price of a used gun. Don't expect much leeway with a rare or collectible gun.

Expect a dealer to make a profit on each gun he sells. If he sells guns at the same thing he pays for them he has to do a tremendous volume to make a profit.

As B2Tall says, some dickering is fine but don't expect him to spend all day haggling over $5.

So true. In many cases a dealer's gun show prices reflect just a single-digit profit margin. That doesn't afford a lot of flexibility with prices.

If the place is crowded don't stand there in the way asking stupid questions or telling "war" stories.

Bingo, bingo, bingo!

Cash - A dealer has to pay the credit card company if you use a credit card. If you are going to stand there haggling over the price be sure you have cash and can pass the NICS. Also if you are planning to write a check be sure that the dealer will take it before you get too involved.

My opinions only!

Many dealers will offer a small discount if the buyer is paying cash. Don't expect more than $10-15 discount in that case. That'll cover the 1.5-3% that dealers pay the credit card companies. There will always be some guns that the dealer is willing to come down a bit in price on......it just might not be the gun you're looking for.

All excellent and valid points, FN. Very good.

What I usually see at GS are items I only see on the internet as opposed to my LGS. So, if am looking for something specific, I already know what I am willing to pay and have CASH.
You can dicker a lot more with Andy Js than VISA every day of the week! Just my experience. YMMV

Let me point out that the dealers are in the same boat that consumers are when it comes to availability. It's a real crapshoot when it comes to what the distributors have in stock on any given day. Timing is everything. Sure, we can get Glocks and Sigs and Smiths all day long......we just have no idea what models we'll be able to choose from. Right now, a Glock G36 is like gold on the S. Florida gun show circuit. Glocks are all over the place but the 36 is hard to find, and that's straight from the mouths of the people who're stalking the aisles looking for them. We've had 2 of them in the last few months and neither sat on the table for more than an hour before somebody scooped them up (at a very reasonable $549). There are plenty of other examples as well.

Our anti-gun president is the best gun salesman in history, hence the availability issues.

What I usually see at GS are items I only see on the internet as opposed to my LGS. So, if am looking for something specific, I already know what I am willing to pay and have CASH.
You can dicker a lot more with Andy Js than VISA every day of the week! Just my experience. YMMV

As a business owner in the service industry, I get the same from potential clients. If the only concerns of the potential client is the price, then I advise them to go with the lowest price that way they are getting what they want. I know they are throwing their money out the window as the end results will be less than desirable. The old cliché," you get what you pay for" and " A person knows what their worth" are good to follow.

I used to go to gun shows all the time. When I was a youngin' livin' in LA, the big one was at the Pomona Fair Grounds, and it was HUGE. I sold as many guns there as I bought by simply tying a sign on my back saying what I had for sale and just walking around. Sometimes I'd get a trade with one of the table-vendors that way too. No one ever gave me grief for not paying the $400 or $500 vendor fee to buy a table space. As others have said, it was more swap-meet-ish than just having a place to go where every dealer for 500 miles congregated under one roof.

The gun shows here in the Huntsville area are probably less than 1/20th the size of those LA shows, but there's 10 times as many rules that make private sales and trades nearly impossible. I mean, there are a few private vendors there, but the overwhelming majority of them are collectors with inventories consisting mostly of antiques that they don't need an FFL for to sell as many as they sell every year. There are a few FFL-holders who don't have a brick & mortar location, and they might be a little bit cheaper, but it's still not a private sale.

Even considering shipping, the kind of ammo I usually want is cheaper to order online, or at least it has been historically. Prices may be getting closer to the same nowadays, but I can't remember the last time our local show had anyone selling the 5.56 ammo I want (XM855 NATO), and that's what I buy the most of in bulk. I've been there when you couldn't find a single round of 5.56 or .223 of any description, but to be fair, that's been true on the web at the same times too. There have been a lot of periods of shortages in the last several years.

If I can buy local at a decent price, I buy local. If I find a significantly better deal online, I buy online. If I have no other choice, I'll pay the $5 or $6 bucks to get into the gun show and walk around for an hour or so looking for whatever I'm in the market for, but I very rarely find it there, and it is usually just a nice morning out with the wife doing "window-shopping." Still, I never argue with or get pissy with the vendors. Can't imagine why anyone would. Since it's always the same people there selling, I assume they have memories, and I'll be a lot less likely to affect a great deal with any of 'em the next time if I make myself memorable as a jerk than if I just say, "Thanks for your time," and move on down the aisle.

Blues

You state:
"Check prices (remember - the Internet is always cheaper but we all know the risks involved in buying sight unseen from some dealer out in the online netherworld.)".

I DON'T know. Please enlighten us / me.

After hearing stories about the last gun show in my area, I would add a tip: Do not waste your time going to gun shows

You state:
"Check prices (remember - the Internet is always cheaper but we all know the risks involved in buying sight unseen from some dealer out in the online netherworld.)".

I DON'T know. Please enlighten us / me.

You ever order something (anything, not just guns) and it shows up and it's not what you wanted?? Not what you ordered?? It was damaged?? You had to wait far longer than what you were told??
Ever have a problem with something you bought on line and wished you could just go to a local location and deal with someone face to face instead of via emails and the postal system??

I'm surprised I had to spell that out.

what kind of stories did you hear?
i've only gone twice to a gun show the first time was to take the ccwp class the second time was with my son so he can get his .......i'm planing on going to the next one with another friend who applied for his ccwp at palm beach county and he is looking to buy a gun and another lady friend wants to take the class.....i looked around a bit and bought a fanny pack and some spray but i'm going to look around some more

After hearing stories about the last gun show in my area, I would add a tip: Do not waste your time going to gun shows

Unlike what some folks have experienced in other parts of the country, the great majority of the guns for sale at shows here in FL are new, sold by FFLs. Yeah, there are plenty of used guns available from both private citizens and licensed dealers, but most are new. The shows are a good place for one-stop-shopping/viewing. A good place to see up-close and in person what's available instead of just looking online or in publications. Also, down here at least, it's a great place to buy ammo. Some of the largest ammo dealers in the South work these shows and I've seen lots of great deals for bulk - as good or better than what's online. In recent months I've bought 1k PMC .223 for $290 and 1k Wolf 7.62x39 for $200. Those are outstanding prices.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back