Gun Safe For A Drawer

fdegree

With the recent purchase of my first handgun, I am wanting to secure it from my daughter when I'm not carrying it. So, I have been thinking I could place a gun vault in my nightstand drawer. Mostly because it would be the quickest and easiest to access in an emergency situation.

I'm thinking the combination mechanism should be mechanical instead of electronic...battery dying would make it a challenge for an emergency access. I realize they have a key backup and external battery support, but in an emergency situation the dead battery may take too long to navigate around. Also, if it is going to be in a drawer, a top access safe would prove best.

Are my thoughts on this approach good or bad? Criticism is welcomed.

Here is a link to a Perma-Vault safe that appears to fit these ideas:
Link Removed
I'm considering the PV-1-IPB model

Anyone have any thoughts or other suggestions?

safe

I just use a honeywell pushbutton cash box. It is electronic, but I change the batteries every 6 months and never have a problem. I picked it up at BigLots for $20. I have 2 small kids so everthing is locked but accessible.

Well, it is not cheap, but.....

I really like the American made biometric safes. My pick is this one:

bioMETRX BioVault 2.0 Biometric Safe

Specs from the company are here:

Link Removed

Let me explain my reasoning. First, and most importantly, this device is secure. That is the best reason for this device.

Second, this device opens in less than one second, and holds 50 prints in flash memory.That means that, even with no power and dead batteries, the prints stay active. Therefore, you could load a print (or more than one) from each hand, just in case one gets wounded. Also, you can do the same with your wife, and/or anyone else in the house you feel should have access to a firearm.

Third, you can power this device with two separate power supplies. Plug it into the wall for the every day use, and throw the batteries in "just in case". According to the manufacturer, you can use the box for one year on battery power alone, so there is no telling how long the batteries would last as an emergency backup. If you are part of the "better safe than sorry" crowd, you can replace the batteries every year....... maybe on your daughters' birthday. :biggrin:

Last edited:
teach your kids about guns
you can store them in a safe place easy to access
if you lock them in a safe I hope your intruders call before comming :sarcastic:

OK I hate to stoke the fire here but this is always an ongoing debate. I was raised around firearms and all I ever had to do from a young age (around 6 or 7 years old) was ask to shoot them, and my parents made it happen! I was NEVER curious about one, I knew how they worked and what they did, where they were stored and if I wanted to, I could have played with them... But I never did.

That being said, I raised my little siblings with my mother the same exact way. They were never curious, or so it seemed, until they managed to find my mother's Ruger SP101 on top of the TV stand one day. Lord only knows how they found it, as this stand stood roughly 11' tall. I had to climb on a chair on my toes to even see up there. Long story short, the oldest brother dared the youngest brother to pull the trigger, and FORTUNATELY, FORTUNATELY FORTUNATELY, THANK GOD!!! they were not hurt! All that was damaged was an expensive dresser and a hole in the wall behind it, which exited the house (busted the siding out of the house as well) and no telling where the bullet went.

I now keep my firearms LOCKED when children are around, or on my hip.

THERE IS NO MIX BETWEEN EASILY ACCESSIBLE AND SAFE!!!!!!!!!!

OK I hate to stoke the fire here but this is always an ongoing debate. I was raised around firearms and all I ever had to do from a young age (around 6 or 7 years old) was ask to shoot them, and my parents made it happen! I was NEVER curious about one, I knew how they worked and what they did, where they were stored and if I wanted to, I could have played with them... But I never did.

That being said, I raised my little siblings with my mother the same exact way. They were never curious, or so it seemed, until they managed to find my mother's Ruger SP101 on top of the TV stand one day. Lord only knows how they found it, as this stand stood roughly 11' tall. I had to climb on a chair on my toes to even see up there. Long story short, the oldest brother dared the youngest brother to pull the trigger, and FORTUNATELY, FORTUNATELY FORTUNATELY, THANK GOD!!! they were not hurt! All that was damaged was an expensive dresser and a hole in the wall behind it, which exited the house (busted the siding out of the house as well) and no telling where the bullet went.

I now keep my firearms LOCKED when children are around, or on my hip.

THERE IS NO MIX BETWEEN EASILY ACCESSIBLE AND SAFE!!!!!!!!!!

I agree...with kids, you just never know. I plan to educate my daughter and expose her to firearms in a safe and responsible manner, allow her to go shooting whenever we can squeeze it into our schedule. This way she is comfortable with guns and not overly curious. But again, you just never know...they are kids, not adults. So, lets err on the side of caution.

Thanks to everyone!!!

Here is the one I purchased. It can be secured in the wall standing or secured laying down in a drawer. Mine is in my drawer concealed but is not secured. I Electronic with the Back-up key. Indicator lights, ei: locked/open/low batt/wrong code. If You use the gun all the time you'll know when the battery is on its way out by the alert it gives. It's not one of those things like one day it opens and the next day it doesn't because the battery is dead. The manufactures make sure of stuff like that.
This one is made by Stack-On #PDS-505. I paid for mine at the time $50.00
Sorry, cannot seem to get the photo on here.........:hang3:
But look it up anyway.

A compromise: stow your firearm in a gun vault whenever you are not home or not carrying it around the house. When at home, put it someplace you feel comfortable with, on the nightstand at bedtime and on a chest of drawers during the day, etc. And of course, as mentioned, take the mystery out of the firearms by letting your children learn about them. I would let my sons open the revolvers, dump out the ammo on the table, snap it shut and dry fire them. We had an agreement: Any time they wanted to handle the firearms, all they had to do was ask. This took the mystery out of the equation. I also went through scenarios about when they could grab the gun and use it. Back then, I did not own a handgun vault. We also played with matches - IN THE BACKYARD, not in the house. A lot of fun for them. A few very minor ouches. No more mystery. And TRUST.

BTW: the electric vaults have a key to manually open them also. I prefer the electric unit as it is quick. I would recommend using a 1 finger code on the alarm instead of a fancy shmancy code using all 4 fingers, in some exotic order that you might not remember when the SHTF.

I have one of these bolted to the floor of my truck!

Link Removed

It's east to access, can be mounted almost anywhere and is quite secure. Best part is, if you shop around on the net, you can find one for under $50.00 :biggrin:

Link Removed

It's east to access, can be mounted almost anywhere and is quite secure. Best part is, if you shop around on the net, you can find one for under $50.00 :biggrin:

I have narrowed my options down to about 3...this is one of them. Some of the others that I've seen, and like, are a little too big to fit my drawer.

Thanks!!!

Link Removed

Petty much the same one I got for My room in the drawer.
Don't forget, these electronic ones will let you know when the batt. needs replacement. And also practice in the dark opening it up (IF You get this type) or just close your eye's when you do the push button thing. I've had mine for about 1 1/2 yrs with no problems.
Good luck on whichever you choose.

I saw those today at Dick's Sporting Goods for $50. I might have to get one for the truck- for when I have to travel through states that don't recognize my permit. :fie:

I have one from the same company but mine had a 3 dial lock I like it cause I can keep it in my nightstand. I usually just keep my glock on top of my nightstand and put it in the safe when kids are over at night. We don''t have kids but my wife's little brother likes to come over and spend the night sometimes.
Link Removed

A compromise: stow your firearm in a gun vault whenever you are not home or not carrying it around the house. When at home, put it someplace you feel comfortable with, on the nightstand at bedtime and on a chest of drawers during the day, etc. And of course, as mentioned, take the mystery out of the firearms by letting your children learn about them. I would let my sons open the revolvers, dump out the ammo on the table, snap it shut and dry fire them. We had an agreement: Any time they wanted to handle the firearms, all they had to do was ask. This took the mystery out of the equation. I also went through scenarios about when they could grab the gun and use it. Back then, I did not own a handgun vault. We also played with matches - IN THE BACKYARD, not in the house. A lot of fun for them. A few very minor ouches. No more mystery. And TRUST.

BTW: the electric vaults have a key to manually open them also. I prefer the electric unit as it is quick. I would recommend using a 1 finger code on the alarm instead of a fancy shmancy code using all 4 fingers, in some exotic order that you might not remember when the SHTF.

I agree. Keeping guns a mystery is the worst thing you can do. When my children were little and living at home I would always let them look at and hold and experience how any new gun worked that I brought into the house. I then told them never to touch them unless they asked me first and let them know if they wanted to see one again I would let them. I took them to the range so they could see what a bullet would do to what it hit and how loud they were. They never bothered any of my guns. Training is the main thing not hiding because someday they may be in someone elses house with guns.

I agree. Keeping guns a mystery is the worst thing you can do. When my children were little and living at home I would always let them look at and hold and experience how any new gun worked that I brought into the house. I then told them never to touch them unless they asked me first and let them know if they wanted to see one again I would let them. I took them to the range so they could see what a bullet would do to what it hit and how loud they were. They never bothered any of my guns. Training is the main thing not hiding because someday they may be in someone elses house with guns.

I thought the OP was looking for a gun safe for his drawer because he wanted to keep it SECURED from his daughter, not hide the fact that he has a gun? IF this is what he meant, then, I'm all for what was mentioned by HK4U and previous. I misunderstood the OP then. My Rugrats know only what I had taught them on guns/weapons and they know about the safes and what is in them. The big safe they see all the time, but the small one in the drawer (that some of us mentioned) they forgot about because they don't see it all the time. Yes, educate Your Kid's!

I thought the OP was looking for a gun safe for his drawer because he wanted to keep it SECURED from his daughter, not hide the fact that he has a gun? IF this is what he meant, then, I'm all for what was mentioned by HK4U and previous. I misunderstood the OP then. My Rugrats know only what I had taught them on guns/weapons and they know about the safes and what is in them. The big safe they see all the time, but the small one in the drawer (that some of us mentioned) they forgot about because they don't see it all the time. Yes, educate Your Kid's!

You're right, I just want to keep the gun secure from my daughter when I'm not carrying. That's the gist of my OP.

I have already started talking to my daughter about gun safety, and she has asked to shoot a gun. So, we will try to go out this evening, if time permits, and shoot the old Daisy BB gun that I've had since I was a kid...actually still works. That will be a perfect time to educate her on safe gun handling.

Frankly I feel the only portable gun storage should be for travel. You are just asking for problems with a strong box or drawer safe etc. they can be picked up and walked off with. or worse. If it aint bolted to the floor or installed in a wall. You are just asking a BG to take your guns IMHO

Frankly I feel the only portable gun storage should be for travel. You are just asking for problems with a strong box or drawer safe etc. they can be picked up and walked off with. or worse. If it aint bolted to the floor or installed in a wall. You are just asking a BG to take your guns IMHO

With my VERY limited experience, this sounds like a valid point. With that in mind, what would you suggest to accommodate your point, as well as provide fast access in an emergency?

Sorry if it sounded like I was correcting Others on here...it was NOT My intent.

Don't worry about it. Any good advice, regardless of the topic at hand, is most welcomed. I'm VERY new to all this gun stuff, so I'm open to any education I can get.

Thanks...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back