Gun Oil ?

Rocketgeezer

I'm not looking for approvel or disapprovel, just a question, how many of you guys use motor oil for gun lube?, had to clean my pistol at work and did not have anything else, I clean my 1911s after each range session, so I tryed the motor oil, and the gun never felt better, racks slick as hell and the trigger, which was nice already, feels like butter, I know there is probably 2 dozen gun only oils out there, and I;m not arguing weather they are any good or not, I'm sure they are, but 3 bucks for a qt of motor oil that would probably last till we are all old and gray, vs $10 or $12 for a spray can of whatever, that dont last at all, and as I said I clean after each shoot, so could it really make that much differance???

I know quite a few folks the swear by Mobil One. I'm partial to Castrol Syntex myself

I've used axle grease on a couple of my AKs. Seriously. Something about it seems very appropriate.

question

So how do you all apply it??
Rub it on or spray bottle it on?
Then wipe it down?
This is new to me very interesting but makes complete sense. I will have to try.

So how do you all apply it??
Rub it on or spray bottle it on?
Then wipe it down?
This is new to me very interesting but makes complete sense. I will have to try.

I'll use grease on the bolt carrier and the rails on which it rides. A little on my finger and I apply a thin coat. Work the action a few times, wipe off any excess, and my Kalashnikov is good to go. I still use Remoil on the finer parts.

motor oil

A good friend of mine had a long-time gunsmith and police dept armorer turn him onto Mobil1 as his lube and it seems to work great.

He cleaned and lubed a Glock for me after having sights installed and I like how it looks/functions... like butter.

I've heard a lot of folks that swear by white lithium grease too but I don't see a huge difference between that and oil

Ive seen others use motor oil with no problem, even got a friend who uses brake fluid on some older guns and it seems to work for him. I bought a giant can of dry silicone lubricant and use it on my mosin nagants and psl. Its lasting forever, doesnt seem to gum anything up and works fine. If its a lubricant that handles heat it will probably work.

Thanks guys I figured as much, just got back from trying it again with the motor oil (10w30 Castrol) and it never worked better, cause I'm sure most of you know that 3inch 1911s can be touchy...............I like the axle grease on the AK, LOL

As soon as the gun oil is used up I'm going with a good synthetic in 10W30.
I've seen several who swear by the synthetic oil, especially on the slide area.

I actually swapped to "Weapon Shield" CLP a couple of years ago and have never looked back. I love the stuff. LOTS of positive reviews and such available out there to read.

edit: Not sure why there are links in my post. I didn't add those. Do your own search and reading. :)

I'm not looking for approvel or disapprovel, just a question, how many of you guys use motor oil for gun lube?, had to clean my pistol at work and did not have anything else, I clean my 1911s after each range session, so I tryed the motor oil, and the gun never felt better, racks slick as hell and the trigger, which was nice already, feels like butter, I know there is probably 2 dozen gun only oils out there, and I;m not arguing weather they are any good or not, I'm sure they are, but 3 bucks for a qt of motor oil that would probably last till we are all old and gray, vs $10 or $12 for a spray can of whatever, that dont last at all, and as I said I clean after each shoot, so could it really make that much differance???

I actually like that idea! I might just give it a try. :)

I'm glad that someone posted this, now i dont feel foolish. I tried mobile 1 once on a hunting trip because i had nothing else. I also use walmart brake parts cleaner to help spray out the gunk. It works really good and is real cheap .

I'm glad that someone posted this, now i dont feel foolish. I tried mobile 1 once on a hunting trip because i had nothing else. I also use walmart brake parts cleaner to help spray out the gunk. It works really good and is real cheap .

My man, LOL except I got my brake cleaner from Advance, if you can get away with it, your dishwasher does a fine job on the Glocks, put the slide and lower with the silverware, and get one of those small baskets that you can close up for the small parts, when done I just blow everything off with the compressor, a couple drops of oil, and your good to go

Haven't tried it but reading the original post the first thing I thought was why not Mobil1 or any pure synthetic motor oil? I think the sustained heat of a motor is much tougher on the lube then that of the gun so it should work great.

I mix 1/3 Rem Oil, 1/3 Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil, and 1/3 Mobil 1 75/90 synthetic gear lubricant. Slick as snot on a doorknob. Safe queens still don't need lubing even after a year in storage. Always Gunslick grease on the rails.

When I first started reading this I thought it was a joke. 40 yrs of hunting and shooting this is the fist time I ever heard of using engine oil. I still like my break free and maybe someday I'll try using engine oil.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back