Gun mom looks to sue sheriff

Can I just ask what you would think about the following scenario?

Picture standing in line at the bank along with 5-6 other customers, 2-3 tellers and a couple of customer service staff at desks in the lobby. Half of you with holstered sidearms. A guy comes in to scope the bank out before he and his buddy outside walk in to rob the place. Do you think he's going to rob THAT bank or head somewhere they won't have to deal with 6 armed customers THEN risk police?

Same situation but you and MAYBE 5 others are carrying concealed. Guy comes in, looks over the place and decides....what?

Ask yourself why so few gun stores have business time armed robberies versus banks?

Let's look at another side of that coin:
You and some other customers walk into a bank. All of you are oc. How many tellers would panic and hit the button thinking that you and the others are going to rob them? It may take a very long time (years) before the scenario your put forth would happen without raising fear and panic. I'm thinking that if tellers are like most J.Q.Public citizens, they don't even know the carry laws of their own state. I'll not raise a fuss if you want to oc in a bank, but I'm not going to be a test case. Imho, the stealth mode would be the more prudent of the two carry methods in that type of establishment. Just my .02 worth.

You and some other customers walk into a bank. All of you are oc. How many tellers would panic and hit the button thinking that you and the others are going to rob them? It may take a very long time (years) before the scenario your put forth would happen without raising fear and panic. I'm thinking that if tellers are like most J.Q.Public citizens, they don't even know the carry laws of their own state. I'll not raise a fuss if you want to oc in a bank, but I'm not going to be a test case. Imho, the stealth mode would be the more prudent of the two carry methods in that type of establishment. Just my .02 worth.

It may happen only a couple of times before managment realizes that they need to retrain their tellers. Think of all of the bank robberies that come to mind. How many of them started off with the BG walking into a bank with their guns in an OC holster? Why don't the bank emplyees freak when the armored car guys come into the bank. It's very easy to pick up a uniform that looks very similar to an armored car employee. Here in PRHI and other states it's illegal to impersonate a police officer. Private security guards aren't police officers.

I used to be anti OC until I spoke with a bunch of people who do OC on a regular basis, and did some basic research. As long as it's done legally, I have no objections to OC. In some states (like PA) you may be required to OC if you want to be armed under certain circumstances. Other states have laws that require you to OC in certain settings.

I feel that if all states allowed OC, there would be a lot less crime. It can be argued either way, but at this point, I see no problem with the OC school of thought so long as it's done legally and safely.

gf

Well, call me crazy but, oddly, I am thinking that if they just had a statewide referendum, there would be a pretty high level of awareness about the law. 15 months ago, how many people knew who Obama or Palin were versus now? And there are towns where many people do open carry without dozens of panicked "Man with a gun" calls every day to the police station. Not doing something because it hasn't been done before is hardly the way to achieve your desired change.

Also, as noted above, it would only happen once and the bank tellers would be pretty odd if they didn't understand the difference between customers with openly carried guns and robbers with guns in their hands screaming "Put up your hands!" Robbers don't walk in with holstered guns.

Last edited:
You two could be correct, but I guess we just disagree. As well, I still don't think it would happen quickly, even with a state referendum, or if one person started a "grass-roots" movement. Seems to me there is on this site here a thread about a lady who oc'ed at a soccer game, only to be harassed and bullied by the local sheriff. That's the type of test case I don't want to be. I'm a certifiable wuss, but, I'd be all for it if someone else besides me had the needed "gumption." :lol:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back