Gun Lockers in Businesses

SnowCajun

If the state allows you to carry concealed and a private business puts up a sign saying "no weapons allowed", shouldn't that business be made to put up secure gun lockers just inside their door so those of us who are carrying in accordance to the law will have some place to store our guns while we are in this place of business?

I need to check into the laws a little more closely, I know you can go into court houses are far as the security check point carrying, then you surrender your weapon, I see our local hospital has just put up a "no weapons" sign at every door, but they at least supply locked gun boxes in the security office at each door, though they don't always lock them which bugs me, but what about the little mom and pop places who put up "no weapons" signs, does our license let us bypass that or not?

For one I'm not particularly happy with leaving my weapon in my car just for one business who doesn't like guns, I had a friend who was a class 3 dealer and lost a Walther MPL machine gun when his car stolen while having lunch at a cafeteria .. Yes I know this isn't something he'd have carried concealed anyway, it was in his trunk, but I've just always felt that my gun being in my own holster is its most secure place, that way I know what's happening to it.

Just wondering out loud I guess, share your thoughts with me please.

SnowCajun

It's not very likely those businesses could be made to pay the expense for lockers.

If my place of employment offered them in place of not allowing firearms at all I'd probably use them but not any place else!

The ONLY way I would use such lockers is:
1. They were available at Govt facilities, court House, Police depts Hosp's etc.
2. The locker is like the ones you see in airports, bustations etc where you pay and take the key.
3. The fee for such locker not to exceed .25 (twenty-five cents)

Any private business who had such lockers wouldn't get my business anyway so thats moot in my book..

If someone in the state I live in has a store that decides they don't want to allow concealed weapons to be carried in their store, even though that kind of store does not fall under the prohibited carry laws according to my license, does that mean my license negates their notice because I'm licensed, or is it legally valid that they have that say?

SnowCajun

The way I interpret the "No Guns Allowed" signs are, even tho you have a license to carry in this state, a no guns sign posted will ban you from carring inside the establishment and if you do ignore the sign and carry, and a complaint is filed against you, you could very well lose your ticket! Thats how I read it..anyone have a better interpretation?

The way I interpret the "No Guns Allowed" signs are, even tho you have a license to carry in this state, a no guns sign posted will ban you from carring inside the establishment and if you do ignore the sign and carry, and a complaint is filed against you, you could very well lose your ticket! Thats how I read it..anyone have a better interpretation?
Agreed, that's how I'd look at it also, but I feel that brings up a safety issue in a way. Let's say you're miles from home, or across the state doing things, and you run into this little place that has one of those signs. Suddenly you're faced with having to either store your gun in the trunk of your car, or worst even in your glove compartment. With cars being able to be stolen as quickly as they are I just don't like that idea.

I think with established places that you know before hand that you won't be able to carry, then you can be better prepared. As I stated in a previous posting I had to take my girlfriend to the hospital one night, they don't allow weapons but they do have gun lockers. They took my gun and stuck it in a small cubical locker and then only partially closed the door and didn't lock it. First off all I don't like people I don't know handling my weapon, I'd rather take it and place it there myself instead of handing it around. Second, I didn't like the fact that they didn't close the door on the locker and lock up my weapon, whether they were sitting in there or not. Just my personal opinion I know, but it's how I feel and what I believe in.

I wasn't sure if just any place who was anti-gun could toss up a no guns notice and it be enforcable. Thanks for answering.

SnowCajun

If someone in the state I live in has a store that decides they don't want to allow concealed weapons to be carried in their store, even though that kind of store does not fall under the prohibited carry laws according to my license, does that mean my license negates their notice because I'm licensed, or is it legally valid that they have that say?

SnowCajun

SnowCajun,

Florida is like that. If a business posts a sign saying no firearms allowed, but not a location prohibited by Florida state law, I can carry. IF someone in that store happens to notice I'm carrying they have the right to ask me to leave. Also long as I obey and leave the property no legal action can be taken. If I refuse the business can call police and charge me with armed trespassing.

Luckily, I have never seen one of those signs but, like many others, if I did come across one I'd take my business some place else.

like many others, if I did come across one I'd take my business some place else.
You know that's really a good point and I respect the attitude you guys have pointed out in regards to taking your business elsewhere. I wonder if it wouldn't also be a wise idea to point out to the manager, even if it's just from their front door, that they're losing your business because of their sign and opinion, that most people would have thought you'd welcome customers like yourself in because you've already proven via an FBI background check that you were a safe law abiding citizen with a spotless record. After all they're only hurting their own business by doing this since concealed carry is becoming more and more common these days. :)

Here's even another thought, maybe one of these web pages or someone similar could make up a ton of business cards stating that very thing, then we could buy 25 or 50 at a time as needed and carry a few in our wallets to hand out to stores who decide upon that policy. It could state something similar to what I said above regarding our being law abiding citizens with proven clean FBI backgrounds checks, that they're only hurting themselves doing that. Hmmm.. Oh well.. maybe I ran with that a tad.

SnowCajun

You know that's really a good point and I respect the attitude you guys have pointed out in regards to taking your business elsewhere. I wonder if it wouldn't also be a wise idea to point out to the manager, even if it's just from their front door, that they're losing your business because of their sign and opinion, that most people would have thought you'd welcome customers like yourself in because you've already proven via an FBI background check that you were a safe law abiding citizen with a spotless record. After all they're only hurting their own business by doing this since concealed carry is becoming more and more common these days. :)

Here's even another thought, maybe one of these web pages or someone similar could make up a ton of business cards stating that very thing, then we could buy 25 or 50 at a time as needed and carry a few in our wallets to hand out to stores who decide upon that policy. It could state something similar to what I said above regarding our being law abiding citizens with proven clean FBI backgrounds checks, that they're only hurting themselves doing that. Hmmm.. Oh well.. maybe I ran with that a tad.

SnowCajun

My dad has his CHL up in Ohio and one of Ohio pro gun site already has the cards printed up. I think its buckeyfirearms or something alone those lines. I'll see if I can find them.

My dad went into a shop that he shopped at often and picked up around $50 worth of stuff. When he got to the register he noticed a no firearms sign behind the counter. After they rang up the sale he asked for a manager. When the manager came up he politely explained he noticed their sign and the reason he would not be able to complete that sale or any others in the future. Then walked out.

I too, am from Ohio. As long as it is not one of the forbidden places - govt bldgs, mental institutions, schools, airports, places that sell liquor openly ( yes, even restaurants for now :( ), we are able to carry.

Now, if there IS a sign on a private business, if someone notices we are carrying, unless of course we are a complete pompous @$$, the worst that could happen is criminal tresspassing charges. They CANNOT take our weapon permanantly. ( they HAVE to return it when they let us leave )

I am not in the slightest advocating breaking the law, all I am saying is that it IS NOT a felony charge if you decide to carry concealed in these places.

I am considering purchasing some of those cards. My friend has some, and has used them w/ a pretty good outcome for the most. A lot of people are amazed/interested to hear our viewpoint. "What do you know about your other patrons?" Remember, up to the point of the CCW laws, these signs were unheard of. So now, all of a sudden, people have magically started carrying guns in your store? Well, legally, maybe.

I myself try to avoid these places, especially after talking to them and they are unwilling to budge. There are countless other places I can purchase the same products from that readily accept my weapon carrying greenbacks. There are some, you just cannot change.

Ever notice how the large chains do not have them? Why? They know the size of the gun owning community, and understand we as permit holders pose no more threat that most other consumers. Actually, barring a few exceptions, we are probably a safer, stable consumer.

Good luck to all who run acros the businesses. And, I am in agreement that my weapon is safer with me knowing exactly where it is, than having it out of my control. pease oot !

To answer you original question, NO….

The property owner has the right to allow or disallow your presence on their property. Do I like it when I see these signs, no, but it is private property and if the Government were begin to tell you who you could or could not have on your property then what would be next?

Yes, as a permit holder you do have the right to carry in both public and private locations providing that it is allowed by law and the private property owner (or the person renting/leasing the property). In some states these signs hold legal weight and in some they do not but to say that they should not be allowed to prohibit weapons (or anything else) on their property or in their place of business is implying that you have more rights on their property than they do.

After all, it is their property and/ business. If they do not want my business I am willing to oblige them. Depending on the type of business I will sometimes tell them, sometimes not.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back