Gun grease

missoak

Picked up a jar of Birchwood Casey Universal Gun Grease. Good stuff for pistol rails?

Grease and oils make for some interesting talks on forums. Sometimes heated. I like talking about lubricants and protection from rust. I learn by seeing what others try.

Today I got in some Hornady One Shot.

Please Join The NRA

When I go to the range and shoot 50 rounds or more thru a gun I use Tetra Gun Grease on the rails. Always keeps my guns working well.
When I carry I just use RemOil and re-oil it about once a week.
:dirol:

Brian Enos has "Slide Glide", stays where you put and lasts along time been using it for more than 15 years.
Rich

This is a gun grease evaluation I did on the Sig Talk Forum a couple of years ago that they have kept as a "sticky". I thought I'd repost it here.

I have been using Mobil 1 20W-50 grade motor oil almost exclusively for most all of my gun lubrication and rust proofing requirements for quite some time now where oil is required. About the only supplemental oil I use along with it is ATF, (Automatic Transmission Fluid), and Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube, where I require a little more viscosity.

I have also been using the Mobil1 Synthetic Grease. It comes in a one pound tub and is an excellent product. The only negative I’ve found is that it doesn’t have the “tackiness” I like when you apply it. You more or less have to “work it in”, then it works very well. I decided to experiment with other greases that are readily available in an attempt to perhaps find something a little more suitable for firearms lubrication purposes. There is an old saying in general lubrication that says, “If it rotates oil it, if it slides grease it.” I don’t follow that to the letter, but it does have some merit.

Over the last couple of months I picked up several different greases from various auto parts stores. These products are not very expensive, and come in a very wide range of different types of lubricant content. Most come in a large enough size that if someone only used them for lubricating firearms, one purchase would last several years. The products I decided on were as follows.

GunGreases001.jpg

1.) CRC White Lithium Aerosol Grease

2.) CRC Industrial Aerosol Red Grease

3.) LPS “Red & Redi” Aerosol grease

4.) Lucas Oil “Red-N-Tacky” #2

5.) Super Tech Moly Lithium Grease

6.) Super Lube Synthetic Grease With Teflon, (PTFE)

7.) Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease

8.) Rig Grease

CRC White Lithium Aerosol

& CRC Red Aerosol Grease

Both the CRC White Lithium and Red Aerosol Greases were unique in the fact they were aerosol products. I found out about these from the maintenance guys that I work with in our company. Because they are an aerosol product they were the easiest to apply, and allowed for a very non messy application. The small application tube reaches into hard to get at places, and being careful you could dispense as little, or as much as you wanted.

Another plus these aerosol greases offer is as they are dispensed they come out very thin. Almost like a motorcycle chain lube product. Then after several seconds the dispersant evaporates, and the product becomes very thick and tacky like regular grease.

Both of these greases were extremely good for auto pistol slides and frames, as well as AR-15 bolts and bolt carriers because of this. On AR-15 bolt carriers you could “lay a bead” of this product along the 4 areas of contact, then smear it around with your finger very easily. In about one minute it will thicken up and really stay put. The White Lithium Aerosol was the easiest to see on blue or black firearms, so you know exactly where you’ve applied it, as well as knowing when you might need to reapply it.

LPS “Red & Redi” Aerosol Grease

The LPS “Red & Redi” Aerosol Grease was very much like the CRC Red Aerosol Grease. In fact I couldn’t detect much, if any difference between the two, except I thought the CRC product had a better smell to it. Other than that I would call them pretty much identical.

Lucas Oil Red-N-Tacky

The Lucas Oil “Red-N-Tacky” is by far the stickiest grease of all the ones I tested. It certainly was correctly named. This grease stays put the best of all. It is easy to apply with your fingers, or else one of those stamped metal handled “acid brushes”. I found this product to last the longest of any grease I tested. One application should last an entire range session for all but the most demanding high round count shooters. It also remained the thickest on hot parts like AR-15 and AK-47 bolts because of it's high, (540 degree), drop point.

Super Tech Moly Lithium Grease

The Super Tech Moly Lithium Grease is black in color, and not as tacky as any of the above products except for the Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease. It is also the messiest if you should get any on your clothes, gun case lining, etc. It does however, have excellent lubricating qualities, as most Moly type greases do. It also lasted very long once applied.

Super Lube Synthetic Teflon Grease

The Super Lube Synthetic Grease With Teflon, (PTFE), comes in a tube, and is transparent in color much like Vaseline. The tube makes it vary easy to apply. It helps to have some toothpicks handy in your gun cleaning supplies to move this stuff around the area you want it. In fact it’s not a bad idea to have some toothpicks in your gun cleaning kit for applying most any of these greases. This grease really adhered well. The one thing I did notice with this grease is after you apply it with your fingers, it is very difficult to wipe completely off. Even after washing my hands with soap and water, water would still bead up and roll off my skin where it made contact.

I think this grease would be excellent for applications where rain or wetness of any kind would be encountered. Some of it lightly rubbed on to the external metal areas of a firearm would really help in preventing any long term rusting issues in humid, rainy climates. The fact it’s clear in color is also a plus for this type of application. It wouldn’t stain the inside of a gun case like the black Moly Grease will.

Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease

This product I’ve been using for some time now with excellent results. This grease is the least “tacky” of any that I tried. Once applied however, it does provide excellent lubrication. It does not seem to last as long as several of the other products tested, which is why I decided to test other products to see how they would compare to the Mobil 1 product. I think a lot of this is due to the fact it isn’t as “tacky”, and because of that it doesn’t adhere quite as well to the surfaces it’s applied to.

Rig Grease

This product has been around longer than most of the people reading this, including myself. Rig is a very oily grease that provided excellent protection. It almost has properties a lot like Cosmoline in that regard. I’ve found it’s best applied with a Q-Tip. When you open the jar there is usually a small puddle of oil sitting on top that you can easily blend in with a toothpick before you apply it. This will occur if the product sits too long, or is stored in a warm environment.

I’ve read several articles that state this grease is one of the best for use with Stainless Steel firearms, because it has properties that greatly reduce the chance of galling. Galling is a problem with Stainless Steel because it’s “gummy”. This is due to the Nickel content of the metal. When like stainless Steel surfaces wear against one another, (like the frame and slide of a Stainless Steel 1911), Galling can result if the surfaces are not well lubricated. Rig is one of the best products for this. The original company that produced Rig went out of business not too long ago, but it was purchased by another company, and fortunately this product is back on the market.

Synopsis

It was a lot of fun doing this test, and I enjoyed the time I spent evaluating these products. While none of these products could be considered unsatisfactory, some were better than others. The aerosol greases were quite unique. They are not an easy product to find, as CRC is more of an industrial supplier. They can be purchased from W.W. Grainger Co., who is a major industrial supplier that sells to the general public as well. They were the most expensive of the products I tested, running around $11.00 a can. Again, one can would last the average shooter for years, if not a lifetime.

All the other products I tested are available from most any of the better known auto parts franchise stores. Pep Boys, O’Reilly, Auto Zone, etc. all stock them. And none cost more than a few bucks each. All are a much better value than these super expensive “gun greases” that can cost over $10.00 an ounce. You can purchase a hypo type applicator for any of these products at any drug store. They are easily filled with your finger, and are much handier to keep in your shooting kit when you go to the range, or clean afterwards.

grease collects crap. Oil is preferred but its a toss up as to wear overall since most keep guns cleaned and overall damage kept to a minimum either way.......

Just use whatever works for you. I am fine with either oil or grease and keep my guns clean. It works for me. So as long as it works I see no reason to change. :victory:

Grease only gets to places you put it, or places that contact areas you put it. Oil tends to look around for places to go. Hidden out of the way places. If you only grease, field stripping most guns is not enough disassembly to get proper lubrication in needed areas.

Grease and oil both attract and hold contaminants. Once you shoot the gun, you have to clean and lube again. Dry lube has an advantage that it does not attract and hold contaminants. Wax has an advantage over petroleum in some applications.

A good alternative to grease and oil is dry lube and wax. Hornaday one shot and Renaissance Wax. After a day at the range my Glock cleans off with just an air hose or a can of compressed air.
Gun stays a lot cleaner and detailed cleaning is easier and less frequent.

I have always used the Super Lube Synthetic Grease With Teflon. Started using it many years ago on clutches in high speed copiers and printers. It's all I use on my firearms.

Is that similar to Lubriplate 105 assembly grease? Personally I use FrogLube. Love how well my pistol cleans up after shooting, and no more headaches from using Hoppe's #9 cleaners...

Sent from my QMV7A using USA Carry mobile app

I have been using Proshot synthnetic gun oil for several years. Unlike most gun oils, it does not dry out. After six months of storage, when a gun is taken apart, the Proshot oil is still wet. My guns only show a normal rate of wear, or less.

Take any gun oil and mix it with 20% synthetic grease for best of both worlds. Action smooth as glass, won't run, rails stay wet for months.

Take any gun oil and mix it with 20% synthetic grease for best of both worlds. Action smooth as glass, won't run, rails stay wet for months.

That's what I use these days, a mix of high-temperature synthetic grease (i.e., Automotive grease) and gun oil. Works wonders. I am also using syringes for storage and application of this mix.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back