Gun collection software

LiveBlues

Chuck & Ted 2012
Hi all,

Does anyone use any software to keep track of their collections? I've been thinking about writing my own program for my own personal use (not for sale) and I would like to see what others have thought of that I haven't already.

My initial thoughts are not only being able to track my collection, but also range trips, rounds fired, maintenance and cleaning, ammo on hand and perhaps reloading supplies and info if I ever get into that.

If anyone has any suggestions for great features, I am all ears.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds fantastic. I've been thinking about keeping a paper log, as I've been saving all of my empty ammo boxes, but that has already become overwhelming. I'm also not very adept at using Microsoft Access (a real piece of trash). I'm no programming genius, but I'd be happy to test!

Here are the two programs I'm familiar with:

Link Removed

Link Removed

Both are freeware, however an enhanced version of NM is available for purchase. I think most people prefer Gun Safe.

sounds like a good idea.. I keep track of how many rounds fired in each gun. if any fte's or ftf's occur. just do it in a word document for now. would be interesting if there was an actual program to keep track.

I downloaded Gunsafe. Link Removed Looks like a very good program and best of all it's free. Thanks for the link, WaltherCC!

I looked at the Gunsafe package before. It looks nice, but is lacking some of the features that I am looking for, such as rounds fired, keeping track of the ammo I have "in stock", and so forth. I might put together a few screens this weekend and see if I like it before I start doing any coding.

As for the Access suggestion, as a multivalue database programmer, I wouldn't be caught dead using Access. :D I'll be using a database called OpenQM. It won't be a program in the traditional Windows sense, but it will have a GUI frontend that will look a little dated.

I am just using an Excel Spread Sheet. I have one worksheet for each weapon. At the top I have the Make, Model, Caliber and Serial Number. I then have columns for Date, Location, Ammunition, Rounds Fired and Notes. Then I added an index at the beginning of the workbook that has a link to each page and each page has a link back to the index. Not very fancy, but it does what need and tracks my weapons and range trips. If I have a modification done to the weapon I enter it as a line without any ammunition or round count.

The Gun Safe software looks nice, but I just didn’t see any need to add another piece of software to my computer when I could do what I wanted in Excel (it could also be easily done in Access) and I have no idea what system files the Gun Safe software would add to or modify in my system. If you already have a Spread Sheet or Data Base program that will do it I would recommend at least considering it before adding additional software that you are unfamiliar with.

I would be happy to send you a copy of what I have done in Excel, but like I said it is pretty simple and only has the information I was interested in tracking (of course, being an Excel spread sheet, you can add any information you want.).

Whichever way you go, good luck.
Tim

+1 on Excel. Here's a link to a sample spreadsheet I made up. It has a master page that lists all the firearms with the obvious column headings, and a column for value that re-totals itself with any entry changes. Tabs at the bottom of the page contain info and pics (if you wish) on individual firearms. I'm no expert on Excel, but my wife is, so if you have questions I can't answer, she probably can.........

Link Removed

Get Lifetime Subscription to NM Collector Software for only $19.95

I can now offer my NM Collector Software Lifetime subscription for only $19.95 (delivered via email) because I have automated the PayPal fulfillment process. This means I no longer have to process subscriptions manually so I can charge a lower price.

You can access my PayPal store at: Link Removed

This offer is good for lifetime subscriptions delivered by email only and purchased through my PayPal store only. I will be automating Google soon but am not there yet.

Thanks!

Clay

Home Inventory Software | Collecting Software | Software for Collectors | Collector Software

NM Collector Software Version 2.2 now available

I can now offer my NM Collector Software Lifetime subscription for only $19.95 (delivered via email) because I have automated the PayPal fulfillment process. This means I no longer have to process subscriptions manually so I can charge a lower price.

Changes in Version 2.2.0

* Improvements to Tree View
o Data no longer lost when you make changes to your data and then make changes to the Collection Types.
o When you delete an item with other items indented below it the indented items below it no longer appear to be deleted.
o When you try to indent the first indented item below another item the system no longer moves it to the bottom of the list of items.
o When you try to outdent an item that is already as far outdented as it can go, the system no longer moves it to the bottom of the list of items.
o Drag and drop several items one after the other then try to indent one of them no longer moves some of the items to the bottom of the list of items.
o The horizontal scroll bar no longer centers when the tree is too wide to fit in the window causing irritating shifting.

* Other Improvements
o The items typed in field number 8 (on the identification tab)are no longer placed in the combo box of field number 2.
o New icon for Mac.
o Red x on find window no longer closes entire application.
o Addressed Find and Help window sizing and formatting issues.

Thanks,

Clay
Home Inventory Software | Collecting Software | Software for Collectors | Collector Software

I found one that I really like while it was in BETA, I am just waiting for the public release now...

http://www.vypersoft.com/

Vyper Gun Vault Pro (04/2011)

It has places for pics, receipts from purchase/sale, firing stats, ammo inventory, etc....

It's kind of funny how fate works sometimes. I had completely forgotten that I had started this thread. I haven't been on this site much for quite some time and I come back today and see this nearly 3 year old thread on the first page.

I never made it past the early stages of the program and I am glad to see that someone else has and is actively promoting it. Good luck!

It's kind of funny how fate works sometimes. I had completely forgotten that I had started this thread. I haven't been on this site much for quite some time and I come back today and see this nearly 3 year old thread on the first page.

I never made it past the early stages of the program and I am glad to see that someone else has and is actively promoting it. Good luck!

Based on your earlier posts, you would probably like the technology I used in NM Collector Software. It is Java Swing with a Derby database back end.

:)

Clay

Version 2.3 of NM Collector Software now available

Changes in NM Collector Software version 2.3.0 (see complete history of changes here)

* Clearly marked first field on Identification Tab as the Bar Code field

* Improvements to Events tab

*Improvements to Maintenance tab

*Clean up, reformat, and improve functionality of Collection Types and all List Edits Screens

[*]Fixed bug with one insert right after another losing data from previous

[*]Fixed issues with data not being saved unless tab was pressed after
each entry

*Improved existing collection types by changing first [Bar Code] field to Unique ID

[*]Ammo

[*]Home Inventory

[*]Whistles

*Created new collection types for:

[*]Licenses

[*]Subscriptions

[*]Recipes

[*]Passwords

*Created new reports to more easily report out on new collection types:

[*]Simple Inventory (all Identification tab fields)

[*]Simple Inventory with Notes (all Identification tab fields plus Description tab Notes fields)

Clay Pryor
NM Collector Software

Sounds like you've made some helpful improvements since I last looked at the software, Clay. Are you also making the rounds of the other gun-related forums to get the word out? I noticed you hit GunBroker but that was the only one which caught my eye.

Sounds like you've made some helpful improvements since I last looked at the software, Clay. Are you also making the rounds of the other gun-related forums to get the word out? I noticed you hit GunBroker but that was the only one which caught my eye.
Thanks. I'm trying to get to as many forums as I can. I'm sure a lot of people are using the free version and I have no way to notify them when I have made improvements other than posting to as many forums as I can.

Also, I try to reply to threads where people are asking about gun collector software though. I don't like to post new a new topic out of the blue announcing it.

:)

Thanks,

Clay

Call me paranoid if you wish, but I keep nothing on my computer that I would rather governmental agencies not know.

JMO

:pleasantry:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back