Gun Cleaning 101

opsspec1991

Gun Cleaning 101

By: Home Defense Gun

Here is a good guide to Gun Cleaning 101. If you got guns you got to clean them – at least every once in a while. gun cleaning 101

I found a good video to give you an intro to what you need to know about gun cleaning. I agree with a lot of what he talks about.

First you don’t really have to clean all the time. In the military we shot 1,000s and I mean 1,000s of rounds a week and only cleaned at the end of the week. The weapons worked fine. As he mentions on the video, you can clean too much and loosen up the parts. Also, if you are carrying it on you, you will want it clean enough so that you don’t have oil or powder stains on your clothes.

Some highlights from the video:
1.Get the crud off the gun before you spray solvent or CLP all over it.
2.Qtips are your best friend gun cleaning 101
3.Clean your magazines every once in a while
4.Don’t over oil!

One thing he doesn’t mention that I like to use is compressed air. A can of compressed air with the tube is good for getting out sand and junk without getting it too oily.

Get yourself a nice cleaning kit like one of the Hoppes ones and get started.

Make sure you watch the video, he has some great tips in it. Let us know in the comments any other gun cleaning tips you know.

Video:

I "cleaned" one of my AKs in a creek once... took the receiver cover off and pushed it up and down in the water a few times, put the cover back on and went home. This is rare though, being as that I don't clean my AKs very often, heh.

Good video for those who need the information...

Things in the Military have changed from when I was in. When we went to the range to qualify, with the M-14 or 1911, we cleaned our weapons at the end of the day. Was always told that " A clean weapon is a good weapon ". Maybe that's just the USMC.
So when I shoot it, I clean it. I have a few guns, so when I put one away, it may be in the safe for quite awhile.
On the other end of the equation, I have friends that NEVER clean their guns, & they seem to function just fine.

I'm still going to go into a little more detail but I was glad to see what is "acceptable" when I'm in a hurry,

Things in the Military have changed from when I was in. When we went to the range to qualify, with the M-14 or 1911, we cleaned our weapons at the end of the day. Was always told that " A clean weapon is a good weapon ". Maybe that's just the USMC.
So when I shoot it, I clean it. I have a few guns, so when I put one away, it may be in the safe for quite awhile.
On the other end of the equation, I have friends that NEVER clean their guns, & they seem to function just fine.

Nah - Army here - never was sure if it was a weapons necessity or a training necessity, but after any firing the M16, M3, M1911, M60 did not go back into the unit armory without being cleaned and inspected. So I, too, clean them every time they are fired - and if they have been in the safe for a while, before they are fired. Carry gun is periodically at least brushed and blown out, then re-lubed.

I "cleaned" one of my AKs in a creek once... took the receiver cover off and pushed it up and down in the water a few times, put the cover back on and went home. This is rare though, being as that I don't clean my AKs very often, heh.

Good video for those who need the information...

Carried an sks for 2 years never cleaned it ethier! never failed! left it in country with a friend.

My memory is probably faulty but it seems like when I was in the Army every time our weapons left the arms room even if only for a parade they had to be cleaned and inspected before they were turned in. That habit was bred into me and I clean my weapons every time I shoot them and every other month or so for those I’m not shooting.

I always clean after going to the range or every so often..

There are times I clean them just to enjoy the routine of it all.

One of my brothers, never cleans his - infact it was only cleaned 2 times in last year - both times I did it for him.

When I was in the Marines we had weekly rifle inspections with some units(Grunts), very seldom with support units(Electronics). When we had to go to the range we had to clean daily, and for three consecutive days after qualification was over. As a SNCO I used to get my 45 and go to the range at noon at least once a week for recreation fire. Cleaned the 45 weekly.....

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back