Gun Board Interview

NewGunUser

I completed my CPL training and submitted all my information to the county sheriff a few weeks back :chees:. I was surprised when I got a letter from the county requesting my presence with the gun board for an interview. I am fine with this however don't really know what to expect.

Anyone have to interview with their local gun board in order to get your CPL? If so, what did they ask you?

Any information will be helpful. I just want to ensure I am prepared and hearing other experiences will definitely be of value.

Thanks!

I line in Oakland county and we did not have to interview.

I know a few people that did have to go in front of the board. They ask why you want to carry a gun. Just be truthful. For self defense.

Updated

I forgot to mention what county I am in, it is Cheboygan County, sorry about that.

Well, I went to the gun board meeting last week. There were around 6 individuals there along with the 3 members of the gun board. The only question that was asked of everyone is if anything changed since the application, for example mental status, restraining orders, etc. The meeting took about 30 minutes and consisted of the gun board giving their thoughts on the responsibility that we have carrying a concealed pistol. Overall they gave some good advice and let us know that the court system in Cheboygan County made it very clear that they will give the max penalty for any violation having to do with a conceal pistol, for example failing to disclose to a police offer during a traffic violation stop which they indicated was the most common violation. They gave us several opportunities to ask them questions and ended the meeting with a vote on approving our licenses.

All in all a good meeting with some good information. :y:

Back when I first took my CPL training (2002), I was told that Jackson County required everyone to come before the gun board. But I live in Ingham, so that didn't apply to me. :) At the time, I lived in Leslie, and of the courses that were offered, the one in Jackson County was one of the cheapest, cost wise, but seemed very informative. The people running it, essentially were doing it for cost, and not profit.

Glad everything worked out for you. now we just need to get Scarecrow his.

I was told on may 28th the gun board will be reviewing my ap. that will be 51 days after finger prints were submitted, which was when I was told the process starts... so... so much for the 45 day limit. but at least it's coming soon. too bad michigan will not accept my utah permit that I just renewed.

Section 5 (7) of PA 381 says they may hold an interview, apparently some of the smaller jurisdictions do not any more but did when the law first took effect back in 2000 and continued up through 2003 when the work load of all those applicants began to take it's toll.
If they do it is very basic, any changes, any reason anyone here should not be allowed a permit? ( usually done in groups).

I was told on may 28th the gun board will be reviewing my ap. that will be 51 days after finger prints were submitted, which was when I was told the process starts... so... so much for the 45 day limit. but at least it's coming soon. too bad michigan will not accept my utah permit that I just renewed.

When I first applied, in 2003, it took 110 days, from the day I submitted my prints and application, to the day I got the card in the mail, saying I could pick up my permit.

I didn't need to go in front of the gun board in Mecosta County and it only took 2 weeks to get my permit.

ss231

Ok, but WHEN was this? I was told at the time, the major hold up on my permit was because of the cutbacks Jenny imposed on the state police after she took over as governor. Prior to her administration, I heard longest wait was about 4 weeks. Except in Wayne county (Detroit).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back