'Ground Zero' Security Plan Calls for All Vehicles Entering NYC to Be Photographed

HK4U

Well what is everyones oppinion of this?

Link Removed

'Ground Zero' Security Plan Calls for All Vehicles Entering NYC to Be Photographed
Tuesday, August 12, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

A plan to improve anti-terrorism security in New York City could mean that all vehicles entering Manhattan would be subject to a license plate photographing by the city’s police department, MyFOXNY.com reported Tuesday.

The NYPD hopes to have the plan — dubbed ‘Operation Sentinel’ — in place by 2010, according to The New York Times.

Under the current proposal, the city would spend millions on the overhaul, which would involve the creation of mobile teams of heavily armed officers and the installment of license plate readers, closed-circuit television cameras, radiation detectors at bridges and tunnels and explosive-trace detection systems, the Times reported.

All collected license plate information would be stored in a lower Manhattan facility for at least a month, according to MyFOXNY.com.

The cameras would be set up at seven major crossings, including the Holland and Lincoln tunnels, as well as the George Washington and Triborough bridges, WCBSTV.com reported.

The security measures would involve not only the Manhattan crossings but also the World Trade Center. Nearly 600 officers would be assigned to a special unit for the site.

According to the Times report, all delivery and service trucks destined for the Trade Center would be required to pass through an underground screening center.

In addition, about a dozen guard booths would be placed on street corners near areas of high pedestrian and vehicle traffic and — with the exception of specially-screened taxis, cars and limousines — no cars would be allowed past the five entry points to the site.

While the plan would undoubtedly make the area safer and help to prevent a third terrorist attack, some local residents and business owners are concerned about ‘Sentinel’s’ heavy restrictions.

“Of course this has to be done with an eye toward security,” Elizabeth H. Berger, president of the Alliance for Downtown New York, told the Times. “But that doesn’t mean checkpoints at every turn. It’s important that the office towers, the retail, the memorial and the performing arts center succeed.”

Members of The Partnership for New York City, a group that includes chief executives from the city’s largest employers, are scheduled meet with New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly on Sept. 8 to review the proposal.

It won't have the desired results. Any real terrorist group will know where these cameras are and switch plates as required. I don't see this really helping out prevent a terrorist attack. Sounds like big brother getting more involved. It could help catch bad guys for normal crimes though....

It won't have the desired results. Any real terrorist group will know where these cameras are and switch plates as required. I don't see this really helping out prevent a terrorist attack. Sounds like big brother getting more involved. It could help catch bad guys for normal crimes though....

Yes, it sounds more like it is really for Big Brother to watch citizens.

I suppose that if photographing is all they're doing, then snap away. If, on the other hand, the information is being used for nefarious purposes such as finding warrants without probably cause, then it needs to be done away with.

To tighten "homeland security" big brother has to get more involved.

It's not like they have a magic wand that will show where all the bad guys are????

I agree with Tatted......take all the pics ya want....just dont be sippin on my kool-aid

This sounds like a bad idea more for the fact that it'll spread to other metro areas. This might catch some amateurs, but as Tex said, terrorists who are really serious will plan with this in mind from the beginning. They're not as stupid as NY apparently thinks they are.

As far as programs like this in urban core areas, I don't think it's really much of an infringement in and of itself. For the number of people in Manhattan, there are very few cars. Most people use public transportation or are being driven by someone else.

I just hope that this program does not get abused. By that I mean that I hope that NYC doesn't do like other cities (if it already hasn't) and start putting cameras in residential neighborhoods. That seems a bit too Big Brotherish to me.

I just hope that this program does not get abused. By that I mean that I hope that NYC doesn't do like other cities (if it already hasn't) and start putting cameras in residential neighborhoods. That seems a bit too Big Brotherish to me.

And I am afraid that is exactly what will happen. Every time the precedent is set for something like this it takes us one step closer to total people controle.

Government - ours, at least...most of 'em, maybe - is like a little kid: they will get away with exactly what you let them get away with, until they get to the point where you have to spank them.

...our government's coming to the point where they need a good spanking.

Government - ours, at least...most of 'em, maybe - is like a little kid: they will get away with exactly what you let them get away with, until they get to the point where you have to spank them.

...our government's coming to the point where they need a good spanking.

I don't think spanking will be enough. Let's try grounding it ;)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back