grips and red or green lasers??

Drzzit

I have an XDm compact and I am Looking for some info on pistol grips, been looking at AGrip and Talon grips. I also would like to hear about laser sights, which is better red or green, what types and manufacturers are the best to get for a compact pistol.

Wut up well in grips i got da houge universal grip its noting fancy but gives me better grip n i love the texture n price 10bucks fit perfect on my sig 40. N n laser department i have a sig sauer red laser gotta check model but its very low profile n light w/lefty/righty on/off n wind n elevation adjustable allen included n range fun to play with strong beam im ordering a borelysersight to for accuracy but outdoor sunny brite day u wanna go with a green laser more visable i dont own one tho

According to viridian, green is the highest spectrum of human sight, so you will pick it up faster and during the day. They are more expensive, but viridian seems to make a pretty affordable green laser light combo

I have the viridian green laser on my xd9 and it is extremely bright during the day. I am happy with this laser. I would recommend it.

Link Removed

WRT lasers, I don't like the ones on the grip. I find that when my finger is off the trigger and on the frame it obstructs the laser. I've noticed this on a 92FS and a J frame. It may be due to the size of my hands or something but I'd go with a rail mounted system myself

I can't speak to compact pistols, but I recently put Crimson Trace Laser Grips (red) on my Sig Sauer SP 2022, full size 9mm. The grips fit perfectly and look just like the original Sig grips only now it says "Crimson Trace" instead of "Sig Sauer."

I love having the activation switch on the grip. It is natural and can be easily controlled with pressure from the middle finger, with a little practice.

As Rich_S said, you have to get used to not blocking the laser with your trigger finger when it is not on the trigger. But, again, with a little practice, it is not an issue.

The dot is visible at night for hundreds of feet. In the day time it is more dependent on the brightness of the sun. But, in shadows or on a cloudy day it is still visible, even to my old eyes.

I can't say enough good things about the Crimson Trace Laser Grip (and no I do not work for them).

Grip lasers

I also heartily recommend the Crimson Trace grips, especially the newer Master Series, which are smaller diodes, which allow for full-size ambidextrous safety levers on the 1911 family.

The grips are available in an attractive and simulated wood, as well as the new G10 material which offers a more positive grip.

One factor to consider when selecting a laser sight is that the closer to the centerline of the barrel you can mount, the more accurate the laser will be at varying distances.

I, for one, like the fact that when your finger is off trigger, the sight can be easily blocked with proper indexing on the frame. This avoids any potential attackers from tracking your position and muzzle direction until you are in shooting position.

Remember: You don't use the laser to FIND the target, and you shouldn't have your finger on the trigger until you have identified the threat and are prepared to fire. This is the same reasoning why I don't like a frame-mounted flashlight on a handgun - it forces you to break gun safety rule #2: never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

Use the flashlight to identify the target, then once a threat is identified, the laser will confirm point of impact as you move your finger from the frame to the trigger.

Thanks again for everyone's contributions to these forums - the chance to exchange ideas is invaluable.

I'm red-green color blind, so I can't say anything about the lasers, but I have AGrips on my carry guns. they are very nice and easily worth the money.

The green laser is more easily seen by the human eye and can be seen further. This is my preferred color laser in the day. The problem is that, especially at night, you can see the reflection of the green laser on the dust in the air and that shows a track back to you. The red is more than adequate at night and leaves less of a visible track. This is my preferred color at night. I have a long gun for home defense. This gun has a combined red or green laser. As I am most likely to need this at night I leave the switch on the red. If I should need a longer shot in the day I can easily switch it over. The iron sights are also available to me.

My pistols only have red lasers. This is because most fire fights occur in low light and at close distances. Okay, it is because the brands I like only come in red. I am pleased with both the Crimson Trace and the LaserLyte. Probably my favorite right now is the Laserlyte with the tritium front sight. I have a CT on another pistol, it is a tough call.

The problem with the LaserLyte is that you must turn it on and that takes one more step slowing you down a fraction of a second. The problem with the Crimson Trace is that the light is on if you have a good grip. This is faster but it also might give away your position. You can minimize this effect by lifting your trigger finger up to block the laser. When you have a target identified lower the finger slightly. When you are on target then place your finger on the trigger if you wish to fire.

Handguns lasers

Dhurdle - You covered some excellent points, sounds like you have gone through the same things I have. The fist laser I got was a under barrel mount and the first thing I noticed is that unless your target is standing at the exact point you sighted it in on it will be either low (if closer than sight-in point) or high (if further away). I started with the TLR 2, which I ultimately ended up with on a shotgun, which is a good unit, just not on a handgun for me. I now have 8 different Crimson Trace (CTC) lasers on various sidearms and am very pleased with them. I have had some over 10 years and have had ZERO problems with them - and I carry open, in a dusty environment, 10-12 hours everyday, day in, day out. One advantage to the CTC that are grip mounted (beside the dead on accuracy) is the fact that you can easily cover the source of the laser with your trigger finger so that it does not give away your location or telegraph that you are fixing to come around a corner. Lasers can be invaluable tools for training as well as self defense as you can use them in dry firing to see if you have a 'pull' during trigger pull and to deteremine sight picture is proper. I have two XD (NOT Ms) w/ CTC on both - one is the 9mm sub-compact, the other the .45ACP compact, and both. for me, provide all the additional grip points I require (of course this will vary from individual to individual)in a grip. Also, when using the grip mounted CTC it leaves your rail open to use with a weapon mounted light if you so wish. CTC is suppossedly working on a green laser system to go with their red, but have not heard how that is progressing. LaserMax (which makes a laser that replaces the guide rod in different models) is good for accuracy, but the short comings I have found with it it is same with any that is not grip mounted - it takes a seperate motion to activate and once it is on, it is on. I firmly believe that in the high stress situation of self defense with a side arm adding another thing to remember to do is a detrement. When I have cleared my holster, with a propler grip, the CTC is activated and ready to go - no switch or button to remember to press - it is designed to activate as soon as you have gripped the weapon proerly. One thing that I must stress is that if you do go with a laser system, that yo still must train WELL on your iron sights so that it is still natuarl to go to them if for some reason your laser fails you. I have green lasers on my Ars and they do view better in a bright sunlight situation, no doubt. But according to FBI stats, over 75% of all self defense situations occur in a low light locale, so the majority of the time the red laser will serve it's purpose just fine. Good luck with which ever system you decide on!

HI
I have tried both red and green lasers. I think the green laser is a far better laser, because: You can see it in bright day light, the green laser doesn't grow in size like a red laser does when measured side by side @ 50 yards.
I recommend the Green laser.

I have had a Crimson Trace on my Kimber UC II for about 6 years. It is great for "More Mature Eyes". I've never used a green laser ... in bright day light those little black thingys on top of the slide will help keep you on target.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back