Great Food Prep Resource

Palmach

We have begun to prioritize our HTF preparations, and with all we hear and see regarding the economic down turn our focus is food.

I found this resource, which seems to be the manufacturer that many of the survival sites distribute for. This manufacturer lets you buy directly from their site, even using PayPal. Their prices of course seem to be much better than anything else I have been able to find for long term storage items.

Wholesale Ingredients to the Food Service Industry, Honeyville Food Products. Premium Corn, Flour, Whole Grains, Sugar and more.

Is anybody else working on building up their food stores? What other areas are you prioritizing at this time, I mean besides guns and ammo which would be obvious on a gun forum?

I have purchased from Honeyville before and they are fantastic. Their flat shipping rate makes for a pretty good deal on most items. Aside from their bulk storage type foods, their hot cocoas are really tasty!

In your preparations, make sure to get some foods you normally eat and store those as well--hate to shock the system with a new diet when things will already be stressful.

As far as preparations other than food, there's sanitation, first aid supplies, and fuel (I hate being cold!) for starters. We're trying to work a wood stove into our little house. Right now we're on natural gas so don't have heat if the power or gas goes out. Also I think I'd like to build an outhouse . . . :wink:

I have purchased from Honeyville before and they are fantastic. Their flat shipping rate makes for a pretty good deal on most items. Aside from their bulk storage type foods, their hot cocoas are really tasty!

In your preparations, make sure to get some foods you normally eat and store those as well--hate to shock the system with a new diet when things will already be stressful.

As far as preparations other than food, there's sanitation, first aid supplies, and fuel (I hate being cold!) for starters. We're trying to work a wood stove into our little house. Right now we're on natural gas so don't have heat if the power or gas goes out. Also I think I'd like to build an outhouse . . . :wink:

We actually have much of the normal foods covered, and now I am looking to stock up on the bulk items for long term storage. Thus the Honeyville connection. I am also a retired chef, so I know how to make just about anything tasty.

Living in Florida our issue is not cold, but heat. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a wood air conditioner, so I guess we are just going to be hot when and if the grid goes down.

We are getting ready to plant a test garden for future use as well.

Here's a little info on the storage life of foods from providentliving.org (maintained by the mormon church):

New Findings for Longer-Term Food Storage

Findings of recent scientific studies conducted by a team of researchers at Brigham Young University show that properly packaged, low-moisture foods stored at room temperature or cooler (75°F/24°C or lower) remain nutritious and edible much longer than previously thought. The studies, which are the first of their kind, increase the estimated shelf life for many products to 30 years or more (see chart for new estimates of shelf life). Previous estimates of longevity were based on "best-if-used-by" recommendations and experience. Though not studied, sugar, salt, baking soda (essential for soaking beans), and vitamin C in tablet form also store well long-term. Some basic foods do need more frequent rotation, such as vegetable oil every 1 to 2 years.

While there is a decline in nutritional quality and taste over time, depending on the original quality of food and how it was processed, packaged, and stored, the studies show that even after being stored long-term, the food will help sustain life in an emergency.

Food New "Life Sustaining" Shelf-Life
Estimates (In Years)
Wheat 30+
White rice 30+
Pinto beans 30
Apple slices 30
Macaroni 30
Rolled oats 30
Potato flakes 30
Powdered milk 20

I have stored canola oil in the 48 oz containers and have used it after 4+ years. The older it is, the faster it goes rancid after it is opened (which is why I don't store the gallon jugs), but it definitely stores longer than 1-2 years if stored right. Haven't had as good a result on shortening shelf life though, so I mostly store oil and rotate the shortening faster.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back