gps failure in 2010

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
GPS System Could Fail Next Year, Report Warns
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Link Removed
GPS System Could Begin To Fail Within a Year - Business Center - PC World
An artist's rendering of a U.S. Air Force Navstar Global Positioning System satellite.
Mismanagement and underinvestment by the U.S. Air Force could possibly lead to the failure and blackout of the Global Positioning System (GPS), a federal watchdog agency says.

The risk of failure starts in 2010, according to the Government Accountability Office (GAO) report quoted by PC World.

The failure would impact not only military operations, but also the millions of people and businesses who rely on the satellite-based navigation systems built into cars, boats and cell phones.

"If the Air Force does not meet its schedule goals for development of GPS IIIA satellites, there will be an increased likelihood that in 2010, as old satellites begin to fail, the overall GPS constellation will fall below the number of satellites required to provide the level of GPS service that the U.S. government commits to," the GAO report states.

The report says the Air Force has struggled to build successful GPS satellites within cost and on schedule.

whoa , nelly!!!!

i better refresh the old map and compass routine!!! could be bad for fighter jocks naval vessels and such. i have never used gps so i am good to go.

Yeah, I'm an old fart, well not that old, but old enough. Started getting interested in Map and Compass when I was a kid. My Dad grilled me in it and learned more in Boy Scouts back in the late 60's and early 70's when they still made boys do outdoor hiking and camping skills. A good truckers atlas for the road, topo maps of my area and Silva compasses. Who needs that GPS thingy? :no:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back