Got pulled over tonight.

Memphis

I was on the way home and got pulled over by a Lake County Sheriff's Deputy. I was wondering what I had done since it was pretty late and I drive safe anyways. Deputy approaches car and ask for papers, which I carry in wallet as I'm still waiting for my CCW and keep the M&P in the glove box, I handed them over. He then tells me my head light is out (actually a daytime running light) and oddly asks if I have anything illegal in the car. He specifically stated: guns, knives, drugs or anything else. I stated that I'm carrying a knife and that I have a firearm in the GB. Then the coolest thing happens, he asks if he can remove my gun while he goes back to his car or offers for me to step out so he doesn't have to handle my weapon. My jaw hit the floor!

I offer to step out and he asks to pat me down. I told him I was ex-LEO and I totally understood. He pat me down very gently (as in non offensive) and really wasn't that thorough as he seemed very calm for just the 2 of us alone in a large parking lot. He asked what I was carrying and I told him the M&P and asked if I liked it.

Anyway, no warrants etc. and I got a "have a nice night and thank you" and went home without a ticket.

Super Nice Guy. That's actually 2 stops in 2 weeks both by Lake County and both were VERY pleasant encounters. :y:

Glad everything went well. It's the new trend for LEO to ask if you have "anything dangerous or illegal" in an official encounter. Many BG actually admit to having a knife, gun, or "personal use" quantities of "street substances" on them.

gf

Always good to hear good pull overs. No one wants to get pulled over. My last pull over a few years ago was for lights out, same thing I had the daytime lights on and did not realize it with a new car and everything. I rather like the way the LEO handled that. I am particularly bothered by anyone handling my gun, even a LEO. Giving you the option to step out was super cool. I'd send in comments to the department telling them how pleased you are. It just goes to show that the majority of average cops out there are totally on our side.

Glad to hear you had a good experience, considering the situation. I truly have respect for the majority of our LEO and it's nice to hear positive feedback. Thanks for posting

I agree.That sounds like just about the coolest,most respecful,and respectable traffic stop there could be.
I feel that I have to inject something sour in this punchbowl,though.I keep seeing on those cop shows(yes,I know the people they show getting pulled over do not appear to be the smartest) that the LEO asks the 'suspect' if he is carrying anything illegal,they always say no,the LEO asks if he can check in the car,and the suspect says yes.And the LEO always finds something.Here's my question:WHY DO THEY LET THE LEO LOOK IN THEIR CAR!?
I believe the Constitution does mention something about search warrants.I try to stay on the 'right' side of the law.But if a LEO asks to look in my car,I would politely tell him that he is free to look when I see his warrant.I believe somebody on this forum said if we don't excersise our rights we will lose them.
Just my $1.00's worth.
But,again,that was a cool stop.

Always good to have a positive encounter. I was pulled over for a turn signal out a couple months back. When the officer walked up I handed him my DL and said you will want to see this and gave him my CHL.He thanked me and then asked me who I was voting for for president. I said I was not sure yet but was sure it would not be one of the Demoncrats. I then said I favored Ron Paul but did not think he had a chance of getting the nomination. He said he and I were pretty much on the same page and he knew if I valued my 2nd amendment rights I would be voting. He then handed both licences back and said, "by the way I stopped you because you have a turn indicator out, have a nice day", and walked back to his car.

That is pretty good he didn't want to handle your weapon. But I don't see the reason to search your vehicle or person. Granted he asked and your consentened...and I admit in the past I probably would have to...and I won't say that I never would in the future, but more and more I'm not too keen on letting someone rummage through my vehicle just because they want to. Of course depending on several factors I admit this approach could get you a ticket for what ever offense you are stopped for. (Although I think I would go to court over a ticket for no headlight when it was actually a DRL). Since not required in TN I'm not even sure I would volunteer I was armed unless the officer was about to search, wouldn't want him to just find it on his own.

But I'm glad all went well and you are satisfied with the encounter. But maybe you want to rethink whatever it is that keeps getting you pulled over. :)

Brainchild....an officer can search your car if you consent, if he sees something in "plain sight" or if he has probable cause. Probable cause could be the odor of alcohol or drugs among many other things. The officer does not have to tell you when he has probable cause or what it is for that matter. About the only way to fight the search as unreasonable is when it goes to court.

Last edited:
search

That is pretty good he didn't want to handle your weapon. But I don't see the reason to search your vehicle or person. Granted he asked and your consentened...and I admit in the past I probably would have to...and I won't say that I never would in the future, but more and more I'm not too keen on letting someone rummage through my vehicle just because they want to. Of course depending on several factors I admit this approach could get you a ticket for what ever offense you are stopped for. (Although I think I would go to court over a ticket for no headlight when it was actually a DRL). Since not required in TN I'm not even sure I would volunteer I was armed unless the officer was about to search, wouldn't want him to just find it on his own.

But I'm glad all went well and you are satisfied with the encounter. But maybe you want to rethink whatever it is that keeps getting you pulled over. :)

Brainchild....an officer can search your car if you consent, if he sees something in "plain sight" or if he has probable cause. Probably cause could be the odor of alcohol or drugs among many other things. The officer does not have to tell you when he has probably cause or what it is for that matter. About the only way to fight the search as unreasonable is when it goes to court.

If you give consent to search and they find something that say the last person that worked on you car left like drugs are what ever guess who will be going to jail.

I agree.That sounds like just about the coolest,most respecful,and respectable traffic stop there could be.
I feel that I have to inject something sour in this punchbowl,though.I keep seeing on those cop shows(yes,I know the people they show getting pulled over do not appear to be the smartest) that the LEO asks the 'suspect' if he is carrying anything illegal,they always say no,the LEO asks if he can check in the car,and the suspect says yes.And the LEO always finds something.Here's my question:WHY DO THEY LET THE LEO LOOK IN THEIR CAR!?
I believe the Constitution does mention something about search warrants.I try to stay on the 'right' side of the law.But if a LEO asks to look in my car,I would politely tell him that he is free to look when I see his warrant.I believe somebody on this forum said if we don't excersise our rights we will lose them.
Just my $1.00's worth.
But,again,that was a cool stop.

I always stay fully respectful of LEO and the job they must do. However, I do not consent to any search unless they can provide me a reason to do so. If it truly is a valid reason, like the time a can of halloween stage blood had spilled over on my back seat...opps, then so be it. If the valid reason is just a fishing trip, then go fish elsewhere I have nothing to hide anyways. Most of the people on cops have already shown that they are not to bright by having illegal things in their car. They are then not to bright by committing a lie to the officer of such contraband. Therefore, it is expected that they would not understand their rights anyways. I personally don't have a problem if an officer wants to check the "in plain sight" areas of my car. Many times they are just concerned of their safety. Maybe they can clean it up as they search.:) But, if an officer wants to check the trunk or glove box which are locked, they better give me a reason or have a warrant. I have never had this happen, other than once. The officer, who was a rookie, threatened to take me to jail unless he could search my trunk. I had just a bunch of tools in there, nothing illegal. Anyways, I stood on principle and did not consent to the search with out probable cause or a warrant. The officer stuck to me with threats until another more veteran officer came by and learned of what was going on. Very quickly I got a thank you and was allowed to leave. I love cops, but I believe we must practice our rights, or some may think that they do not exist. ARGG.

I keep my car nearly empty inside, so there's nothing to even remotely rummage through until you get into the glove compartments and trunk. They can't say they thought they saw/smelled something, because there's nothing to see or smell. It's just a whole lot of nothing.

HK4U's response to a pull-over is, I believe, the exactly right thing to do. If I am ever stopped (knock on wood), I will certainly hand over my CCL with my driver's license. This allows the officer to be aware without saying aloud words like "weapon" or "gun." I know some laws seem to state you must immediately inform the officer. I believe this is the safest way to do so. Any LEO's out there have an opinion?
And now, my edit.
Good grief! I didn't know this thread was 17 pages long. I was referring to HK4U's first response on page one. I need a larger screen to see all the info.

Last edited:
If you give consent to search and they find something that say the last person that worked on you car left like drugs are what ever guess who will be going to jail.

Guess who is using the wrong mechanic, or allowing the wrong people to mule with his car... ;)

Guess who is using the wrong mechanic, or allowing the wrong people to mule with his car... ;)

Doesn't have to be the mechanic. I had an experience once at one of those "classy" hotels here in Waikiki. The self parking was full, so only the valet service was available. When I got my car back I briefly glanced at the driver's seat. Didn't look quite right. I had a really bad feeling about the situation, so I pulled over into a nearby beach park and checked it out. I found a little baggy stuck in the seat cushion that contained a funny looking substance (suspected to be crystal meth). I immediately called 911 to report the incident. A patrol officer responded and took custody of the "substance". The responding officer commented that it looked like crystal meth, took down my info and told me he was going to check out the situation. I got a follow up call the next morning from the officer telling me that a valet is in BIG trouble. :wink:

gf

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back