Goodbye, Old Friend

BIGJOHN621

Today, I finally picked up my Christmas present. A new Glock 36. Without going into the NY permit system, it was purchased a month ago, and finally cleared for pickup last week (normal where I live). A few NICS checks later, it was on its way to a new home with me.

I thought it time to replace old reliable based on changes in my lifestyle, carry habits and "newer technology". (I know, pull the trigger, it goes bang has been around a long time). The old reliable has become too heavy and too big for my needs today (Not Caliber, Physical Size). My physical dimensions are no longer the same, and the gun just isn't comfortable or practical anymore for an everyday carry gun.

I'd love to say that my excitement for a new gun was not tempered by the sadness of retiring an old favorite. I have had and carried a Smith 4006 for the past twenty years. It was a service weapon for a short time (the reason I bought it), a target plinker, an everyday carry, and a security blanket for those middle of the night unknowns. It has outlasted a wife, a home, two dogs and has watched the kids grow strong. It was the first handgun I owned and the first one my son has ever shot. It is in pristine condition, except for where the heat has worn the shine off the outside of the chamber, and one blemish from being dropped by a NYS Trooper who decided to disarm me during a traffic stop almost 20 years ago. (No, I never notified when I didn't have to after that).

It is a Smith 3rd Generation Auto, and has all of the same issues they all have, and all of the same strengths they do too. It jammed before the ramp went back for a polishing, the magazines needed new springs, a new guide rod, and just about everything else that these guns needed in the first 2000 rounds. It was to be expected of a "new" model of gun and caliber. These notwithstanding, I have defended it as I would my own child because it was also extremely durable, well fitting, and extremely reliable after the initial issues were fixed. Not a malfunction in almost 18 years. Good cleaning, good oil and a lot of lint removal. I'm confident it will last for the next 20 years and more.

I guess I can say that I'm feeling odd that I have an emotional attachment to this inanimate object, and hope that my new Tupperware gun can live up to the challenge, as it has big shoes to fill. Isn't it funny how this piece of metal has so many stories with it, so many memories, and evokes such emotion. I can only hope that it will be cherished by my son, who will be the ultimate owner after I'm gone, and he will have the same pride in it that I have in my dad's guns that have been passed to me. I hope he will remember the times we spent together, as I remember with my dad, learning how to shoot, learning about safety, and just having some fun in the woods and on the range. This is something that I'm sure we all experience, but it caught me by surprise. It's something that the gun-grabbers cannot and will not ever understand.

For now, it's goodbye old friend. You'll be missed. You've gone into retirement, not through your own changes, but because of mine. It's time to start making new history with a new gun. The first step; adding it to the dictionary so that "Glock" doesn't show up as a misspelling any longer as I'm sure it will be used frequently.

The part about the gun being passed on to your son really hit home with me. I wasn’t into firearms until my father passed away and left 5 in my possession. I got my pistol permit, inherited the guns, and started learning everything I could about them.

I’m sure these guns all had stories to my dad, but alas I don’t know any of them. I wish I did. When I shoot the guns, I feel in tune with my father. I wish it was an activity I could have done with him more.

Cherish the time you have, and make sure your son reads this someday. It will mean a lot to him.

The part about the gun being passed on to your son really hit home with me. I wasn’t into firearms until my father passed away and left 5 in my possession. I got my pistol permit, inherited the guns, and started learning everything I could about them.

I’m sure these guns all had stories to my dad, but alas I don’t know any of them. I wish I did. When I shoot the guns, I feel in tune with my father. I wish it was an activity I could have done with him more.

Cherish the time you have, and make sure your son reads this someday. It will mean a lot to him.

Sometimes it's important to think about the memories we are making. I never understood this when I was with my dad, but now I know that he sure did. Getting youth involved is so critical to the survival of our rights as well.

I have a 10 week old daughter and I'm looking forward to making some memories with her by teaching her how to shoot.

Your story is really touching. I understand the thing about a little piece of metal meaning so much to you.
Just a note. I would share this with your son before you decide when he is ready for it. So he knows how much it truly means to you.
Plus. Don't forget to take your old friend out to the range from time to time for old times sake.
I hope this new pistol treats you as well, if not better then your old one.

PS. I know how much a rifle my dad has means to him. He got it from his grandfather. I've cleaned and tinkered with it for a few years since a house fire we had. Seeing the look on his face when I told him it fired again was worth it all. Plus it is still original I just rewound some springs used some steal wool.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back