Good rifle for long range target practice???

chiroman

Im looking to get a good rifle for long range target practice. 200-300 yards is long range for me. I was thinking of a used Remington 700. Any suggestions?

You are realy talking about short range when you say 200 to 300 yards. Get a nice Rem. 700 or a savage in bolt action in a cal. that won't eat you for lunch. Like a .223 or a 22-250. If you start or do reload even better yet.
Bill

That was another question I had. What would be a good caliber? I have several 30-06 rifles and like the size of the round. Not sure if i want a .223, i think i would like a bigger round. I do not plan on hunting, but I would like to get into longer range shooting.

I inherited long ago a Remington 722 .308 still use it to this day. zereod it in last fall to 300yards. I know I can go farther with it but here in the northeast our shots are no more than 100-150

Remington, Savage, Ruger, Browning... all of them make great bolt actions. If they were all in good condition, just get the cheapest one. 2-300 yards would be a breeze with a barrel between 20-26"... Caliber? Depends entirely on you. .30-06, .25-06, .270, 7x57 Mauser, .22-250, .257 Roberts, .243.... endless possibilities. Do you want a purely target round? I'd go for a smaller caliber with less recoil and flatter trajectory. Target with the possibility of hunting... say whitetail, 7x57 or .257 Roberts would be my choice.

I have a Remington 700 SPS tactical with the threaded barrel chambered in .308. With a good muzzle brake, recoil is about like a .223 so you can shoot as much as you'd like. Now I've done a couple of upgrades like my stock and trigger and cool looking duracoat jobs, but even bone stock it's a great rifle. I just wasn't a huge fan of the factory hogue stock...it was a bit heavy...

Another great caliber not mentioned and ballistically great is the .280 Remington. Awesome ballistics without magnum recoil.

Andy that is exactly what I wanted. What type of scope is on there?
Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40. I love everything about the rifle. With the new stock I'm punching the same hole almost every time at 100yds, and 200yds I have 1/2" group.

In my opinion, .308 is the best way to go if you're not going to be hunting out past 300 or so yards. You can target out to 1000yds, and even without the muzzle brake it doesn't beat the hell out of you like a 30-06 or .300 win mag or wsm. And EVERYWHERE sells ammo for them (or at least anywhere that even has ammo in stock right now) but I prefer to reload anyways. And as far as the Remington 700 goes, they're excellent rifles with an unlimited amount of aftermarket parts out there for them. However I will say a friend of mine just bought a 700 SPS tactical a few weeks ago and it seems like they've downgraded on the production quality a slight bit, my guess being because they're trying to meet the extremely high demands right now. His rifle was actually rusted on the surface of the bolt because it had not been oiled from the factory.

If you wanted something of an oddity, go for a Marlin or Rossi lever-gun in .30-30 and reload it with Hornady 100gr Short Jackets, that'll get you out to 250-300 yards for simply target shooting at an economical price. Also, lever-guns are awesome.

Get a Savage 10FP Sniper or 12BVSS Varmint in .308. If you get the 12, you'll spend less money in the long run because you won't HAVE to replace the stock. Get the .308 because if you get into serious long range, you'll still be competitive out to 1,000 yards.

I've got a 10FP in .308 and a 112BVSS in .30-06. They don't make the 112BVSS in .30-06 anymore. It's one of the few factory heavy barrel .30-06s. They also used to make the 110FP in .30-06.

Both guns are incredibly accurate. I replaced the cheap plastic stock on the 10FP with a laminated stock for a 12BVSS. Savage sells them separately, and for a decent price. The nice thing about the laminated stocks is that they have more than enough meat in the forend to inlet a sling/bipod rail.

I have inclined target bridge scope mounts from Medesha, and sight bases for target iron sights. I've got Redfield International rears and Redfield and Tiger globe fronts.

If you're serious about rifle shooting, you'll HAVE to handload. My only load for the 112BVSS simply doesn't exist commercially. I use IMR4350 and a 200gr. Sierra BTHP. Almost the ONLY "target" .30-06 ammunition you'll find is loaded with the obsolete 168gr. BTHP.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back