Good first gun for my son?

rheaj

I'll be looking soon to try and pick a good first rifle to teach my 8 year old son about shooting. I'm a little torn between starting with a BB gun and a .22, but am leaning toward the .22. I don't want to be tempted to let him take it out on his own with close supervision. With a .22 I have to take him to the range, so I'll always be right there (I ran around the back yard shooting up all kinds of stuff with my BB gun when I was his age!).

So, I'd like to hear your thoughts on BB vs. 22, and also, particular makes/models that make a good first gun.

Thanks!

I got my daughter a .22

Go to this link and check what they have. http://www.crickett.com

I was looking for my 8 yo daughters first gun and this is what I got her. I bought one 2 years ago and she really enjoyed it. Now, though, she's all about my Henry Big Boy in
.357/.38 spl.

The Crickett was the perferct first gun for her. I will be getting another one for my each of my other daughters as well.

I thought about getting them a BB gun, BUT I remember what I was like and if it could be broken or killed with a BB gun I would take the shot:nuts:. I stayed in trouble constantly :Image3:, but I grew up in rural Oklahoma:y::y:"GODS COUNTRY". There just aren't many places they can use a BB gun anymore.

Jim

Go with the .22, all will agree it is definitely a 'real gun' and not a toy. This will convey both a higher status in your child's mind, it will also give him a stronger sense of responsibility. Be sure you demonstrate the power of a 'mere' .22 to destroy (fruit, water bottles, whatever works) and stress that the power to ruin things is in his hands.

Most of all--take him shooting and have a good time. As he grows up you'll really cherish the time you spent with him.:icon_exclaim:

I agree with the above advice in favor of the 22. SubHntr's suggestion of the Crickett would be a good first gun. Also Ruger now offers their 10/22 in a shorter , smaller version that is well suited for a child.

I also agree with the firearm over the BB gun. When I was little, my dad bought me a BB gun, and I considered it a toy. When I shot my first firearm, I suddenly gained the respect of power that I should have had with my BB gun.

The Ruger 10/22 is the obvious choice for a decent .22LR or maybe a Henry single shot. The first gun I shot was a bolt action .410 shotgun. It was fun to be able to hit anything I pointed at, but I didn't learn how to aim very well until I got to shoot a rifle.

I learned on a .22

I still have the single shot .22 Stevens model 15A I learned on. My sons are currently trying to wear it out on the berm. It made me a good shot and helped develop my character not to mention helping my military career. Teach them young...Teach them well...Teach them yourself (nothing like quality time with dad at the range).
My youngest likes to play a multiple target game with me spotting and calling shots for him as if he were a military marksman on a mission. Today he actually hit a thumbtack at 50 Yds. I could not believe his luck/skill.
:duim:

Besides think of the cool point bragging rights he'll have with his buddies.:39:

My oldest is 8 and has been shooting a bb gun for a couple of years. We treat it like a real gun, he's not allowed to touch it without mom or dad going out with him. It's been good to teach basic safety rules, etc with, and we only have to go out to our field to use it. Starting at 8, I might have skipped the bb gun and gone to a .22. The Keystone Sporting Arms Crickett's are good, come in about any color you could want, stainless or blued, synthetic or laminate stocks. Nice and small. Another small one is the Chipmunk, by Rogue Rifle Co.--not quite as many color options, but they do make them left handed where crickett does not if that is something you need. There are other slightly larger youth .22's like the Savage Cub--a little bigger than the Chipmunk or Crickett, but a real nice gun as well. If you're going with the .22, take your son to the gun store with you and have him pick a couple up and see what he can handle. A gun that's way too big isn't going to be as much fun to shoot or help him learn proper grip, sighting, etc. And make sure you have plenty of time to go out and shoot with him so he doesn't lose interest in his gun in the closet that he never gets to use. Glad you're getting him started--the rewards will be worth it! :)

Why not both? Sounds like most people who have already posted, as well as myself all have had BB guns in the past. And, I'm sure we all had fun with them. So why not afford this opportunity to your children as well? It can also make a good practice rifle for those days you cant make it to the range.

+1 for the 22. I have to agree that it gives you a "real" type of respect for guns. not to say that the other option is not fun to shoot. but when I had one as a kid I just never had the same respect for it as I had with one with gun powder.

Thanks everyone for your input! I think I am going to go with a 10/22. I had a lot of fun with my BB gune, but it truly was a toy to me. Considering the more densely populated area we live in now compared to where I grew up, I prefer to take my son to the range whenever he shoots. Thanks again everyone!

Thanks everyone for your input! I think I am going to go with a 10/22. I had a lot of fun with my BB gune, but it truly was a toy to me. Considering the more densely populated area we live in now compared to where I grew up, I prefer to take my son to the range whenever he shoots. Thanks again everyone!

Valid reasoning, good choice. Enjoy the time spent with your son; it will be prescious to you in the future.:icon_great:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back