Good ‘encounter’

flcracker

Yesterday… Wifey and coworker/friend from her office, decided to go out for a lunch break… So they did a ‘walk-in’ at a nearby Wendys.

As she was taking her tray to a nearby table, an ‘older’ (her words) uniformed Hillsborough County sheriff’s deputy happened to notice that the purse she was carrying under her arm, was one of those leather concealed carry types.

After she sat down and was getting ready to wolf her cheeseburger jr, the deputy caught her eye, points to the purse in her lap, and gave her an unspoken but obvious question…regarding what might be in there… She nodded to him an affirmative answer, and all the gentleman did at that point was to give her an approving ‘thumbs up’.

When she was telling me about it, I reminded her of the many years she had carried her little S&W 36 in a purse just like that one, with only her 2A rights to back her up. I finally got her to apply for and obtain her CCW about a year ago. She’d been carrying for a long time prior without.

I had warned her many times, that if a LEO, ever saw and ID’ed that purse in a public place, and she didn’t have her permit, that there could likely be legal repercussions.

How many years? I can’t really recall…but the 36 is still loaded with those super deadly ol’ banned 38spc Black Talons… along with a little speedloader loaded with the same.

Mr Deputy never inquired to her ‘legal’ status, just let her know that he was aware, and that it wasn’t a problem. Hope his coming holidays are top drawer, and if he should ever read this, a heartfelt “Thank you Sir!”

Thanks for sharing that story.It`s always good to hear of a positive encounter with law enforcement.

That's great that your wife carries too. I need to show this to my wife. I've finally talked her into getting her license (class in January 08). Now she's just trying to figure out how she wants to carry her Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite.

Good on ya

That's great that your wife carries too. I need to show this to my wife. I've finally talked her into getting her license (class in January 08). Now she's just trying to figure out how she wants to carry her Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite.

... for getting her to class… How (if she does) carry, is a subject for a whole ‘nother thread in a different area.

That said however, almost all ladies have a hard time in concealing… because of their usual mode of dress. Mine chose to go with one of those mid sized CCW leather purses that can be purchased in many gun stores, or online. She has been packing that way since sometime around the mid ’80s.

The plus side is that the purse conceals well, is made well, and is set up for a pretty quick and easy access to the piece if ever need be. With a little practice, and the right carry style, she can draw and be ready almost as quickly as I can access my IWB carry piece. In a real critical situation, the lil’ 36 can even be fired from inside the purse. Not the best method for a sure one shot stopper, but still guaranteed to put a bad hurt on somebody.

The drawback is that, as said previous, if the ‘trained’ eye, notices that ‘type’ of purse, then she’s been made as likely being armed. That and if she doesn’t pay close attention to where her purse is at ALL times, and a BG grabs it, he not only has her cash, ID, and cc’s, but her loaded pistol as well.

Mizz Cracker is VERY conscious of this fact, mainly due to my fairly constant reminders to her, and keeps it very close to her, and is extremely aware of what’s going on around her at all times. Especially in parking lots, fuel stops, etc…

I don’t envy most ladies rather limited way to conceal, but for her, this method works best, and I’d MUCH rather that she’d use the purse-carry method, than to leave the piece in her car, or worse yet, at home.

Best wishes, flc

Thanks. I think my wife is leaning towards the ankle holster (she usually wears the flared leg jeans anyway), but she has mentioned the purses. I'll have to keep everyone posted on what she finally decides (although if it's anything like her clothing decisions, I'm sure it will change from minute to minute :D)

One of my friends was pulled over for speeding several months ago. He had 3-4 other friends in the car also. My friend has his concealed-carry permit but didn't have a firearm on him that night.

The officer approached the vehicle and asked for the standard documents. He returned to my friend's car in a minute or so and asked my friend to get out of the car. The officer asked, "Is there something you aren't telling me?" My friend was confused and said, "No, I don't think so." The officer then asked, "Well, do you have a concealed firearm permit?" (my friend should have mentioned this before even if he wasn't carrying just to prevent any issues) My friend responded by saying that he did have a permit but wasn't carrying. He was met with the officer's response of, "..and why the heck not?"

He proceeded to tell my friend that if he learned anything from that traffic stop that it was to exercise his right to carry if he had that priveledge. My friend gained a little stronger desire to carry after that...still probably not as much as he should though.

Probably

I detect a logic error here...

not likely again the right place to post this, but as long as you opened this can o' worms....

I carried for many years prior to obtaining a CCW, as an OTR trucker, I never traveled unarmed, and if I stepped out of my cab into foreign territory, especially in places like Jersy City, and NYC, I always kept a pistol concealed on my person. Luckily I never had the occasion to ever have to use it.

I resented (and still do) the fact that I have to get a 'permit' to exercise a Constitutional Right, both US and my home state have given the RTK & BA..BEAR being the key word here. But I have to pay the state a 'tax' (as I see it) every 5 years, to be able to enjoy rights that are already established Constitutionally.

I guess that soon the USSC will be looking at and deciding what the 2A means... But in the meantime, a lot of well meaning but real misinformed people, still consider the right to carry, a privilege. I don't.

Best wishes,
flc

One of my friends was pulled over for speeding several months ago. He had 3-4 other friends in the car also. My friend has his concealed-carry permit but didn't have a firearm on him that night.

The officer approached the vehicle and asked for the standard documents. He returned to my friend's car in a minute or so and asked my friend to get out of the car. The officer asked, "Is there something you aren't telling me?" My friend was confused and said, "No, I don't think so." The officer then asked, "Well, do you have a concealed firearm permit?" (my friend should have mentioned this before even if he wasn't carrying just to prevent any issues) My friend responded by saying that he did have a permit but wasn't carrying. He was met with the officer's response of, "..and why the heck not?"

He proceeded to tell my friend that if he learned anything from that traffic stop that it was to exercise his right to carry if he had that priveledge. My friend gained a little stronger desire to carry after that...still probably not as much as he should though.

I've heard this story many times from so many different people on different forums that I've chalked it up to urban legend.
dr2lhl_th.jpg

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back