Good encounter this morning with Grand Rapids Police Department….

E

ezkl2230

Despite our security lights, someone broke into our garage sometime during the night and broke into both of our locked vehicles. My youngest son discovered that the entry door of our garage was open while I was getting my family ready to leave for the day. I cleared the garage, then called the police. When they arrived, although it wasn't strictly necessary because I wasn't being stopped, I advised the responding officer that I have a CPL and was carrying. He never batted an eye, said, "OK," and went on with his business. Same thing when the CSI arrived on scene. Very anticlimactic.

Not much. The MIGHT have been a check book in one of the vehicles, so I'm getting that taken care of. I'm actually concerned about the break-in for two reasons. First, they left the GPS in my wife's car alone - something that shocked the officer who responded. GPS's have been at the top of the stolen items list. Second, more significantly, they used a slim jim to effect their entry into the vehicles; that also got the attention of the police, although they tried to downplay it. This is incredibly rare in this area. Normally, thieves just break the windows, take what they want, and go. There were a few receipts above my visor that they took, nothing that should have had any account numbers or such on them, but they did take those papers along with loose change. They do not appear to have discovered by pistol safe under the driver's seat; it had not been moved - not that I keep anything in it to begin with. We'll see if the police turned up any useful prints from the vehicles - not holding my breath.

You live in Michigan, you ARE required to notify police immediately upon official contact. You did the right thing.

You live in Michigan, you ARE required to notify police immediately upon official contact. You did the right thing.

Not true. The responsibility to notify only applies when STOPPED by police. Now, it is also true that we have to provide our license and pistol UPON REQUEST. But the obligation to notify only applies when one is STOPPED by the police:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=+0]Responsibilities of Individuals With a Concealed Pistol License:[/SIZE][/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Failure to disclose this information to a police officer carries the following penalties:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]First offense = State Civil Infraction - $500 fine and 6-month CPL license suspension.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Second offense = State Civil Infraction - $1000 fine and CPL license revocation.[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall have the license in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Failure to possess CPL license when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and a $100.00 fine.[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Upon request, an individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a police officer:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]His or her license to carry a concealed pistol[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]His or her driver license or personal identification card[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Failure to show CPL license and Michigan driver license or Michigan personal identification card when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and $100.00 fine.[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]A pistol carried in violation of numbers 1, 2, or 3 is subject to immediate seizure by a police officer.[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]If a pistol is seized for failure to possess a CPL while carrying a concealed pistol:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Individual has 45 days in which to display their license to carry a concealed pistol to the law enforcement agency that seized the pistol and the pistol shall be returned.[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]If the individual does not display their license to carry a concealed pistol within 45 days the pistol is subject to forfeiture.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]To Ensure Safety During Police Encounters[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]If you are stopped by a law enforcement officer you should: [/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Keep your hands where an officer can see them.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Cooperate fully with the police officer.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]If you have a gun with you, tell the police officer as soon as possible.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Do not make any quick movements, especially toward the weapon.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]If in a vehicle at night, turn on your vehicle's dome light.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]In certain circumstances, a law enforcement officer may take temporary possession of the weapon during interaction with the individual to ensure the safety of the officer and others. The police officer will return the pistol at the end of the stop unless the individual is being charged with a violation of the act or any other law that allows for the weapon to be seized.[/FONT]

Link Removed

Agree curious as to the use of a slim jim but left the electronics alone. Makes you wonder what they were after with all the care taken to be quiet.
FYI, GPS' are stolen a lot out of vehicles here in our area while out shopping so they can go break into your home. Thief will take the GPS and the garage door opener. The GPS usually has 'home' programmed into it, so easy to find the right house.
Take it this is an attached garage? If so, that would make me unhappy due to the proximity to the family.
And you are also correct on the need to notify. During an encounter initiated by the officer, you would want to advise them, not when they arrive at your house in response to your calling them.

Not a good idea to program you address in the "Home" feature on your GPS or phone. There is a Police Station very close to my house so I programed that in for my "Home"! So far I have not had my GPS stolen but I did that just in case.

Hope they will not be back and they have not stolen anything of value from you.

I cleared the garage, then called the police.

Seems like that's kind of backwards, to me anyway. "Clearing" a property of badguys is what the police are paid for. What if you encountered two or three armed criminals in the garage? Was it impossible to retreat to a safe location, call the police from there, and let them deal with any potential criminals they might have surprised?

I have learned (from past mistakes) that my gun, for me, should not be used to enable me to go into dangerous situations, it should be used, for me, to get myself out of a dangerous situation. Again, just my opinion for myself, I'm too important to my family to be doing a police officer's job if I don't have to.

When my garage was broken into, they left my car alone. I always keep it locked, however, my wife usually doesnt lock hers, her philosophy is, if theyre going to get in, why pay for a new window? Mine is, If I hear it, I can catch them, anyways, they had stolen all of her loose change, her GPS, all 1500+ CDs [alot of them were burned] her subs and a few other items. Flint city never sent anyone out for finger prints, even though we were able to establish Felony theft. They made us do the leg work and check all the local pawn shops. What was a little more alarming is they had plenty of staged things to remove, such as tools, and sports equipment, although they never came back, they did it in the middle of the day too while the wife and I went on a walk with our dogs.
I agree its a bit strange they took such care in not removing anything obvious such as electronics and other things. Probably someone you know, OR they fear theyll be able to track the GPS lol.

Seems like that's kind of backwards, to me anyway. "Clearing" a property of badguys is what the police are paid for. What if you encountered two or three armed criminals in the garage? Was it impossible to retreat to a safe location, call the police from there, and let them deal with any potential criminals they might have surprised?

I have learned (from past mistakes) that my gun, for me, should not be used to enable me to go into dangerous situations, it should be used, for me, to get myself out of a dangerous situation. Again, just my opinion for myself, I'm too important to my family to be doing a police officer's job if I don't have to.

I was certain at that point that there was no one in the garage.

Agree curious as to the use of a slim jim but left the electronics alone. Makes you wonder what they were after with all the care taken to be quiet.
FYI, GPS' are stolen a lot out of vehicles here in our area while out shopping so they can go break into your home. Thief will take the GPS and the garage door opener. The GPS usually has 'home' programmed into it, so easy to find the right house.
Take it this is an attached garage? If so, that would make me unhappy due to the proximity to the family.
And you are also correct on the need to notify. During an encounter initiated by the officer, you would want to advise them, not when they arrive at your house in response to your calling them.

Unattached garage.

Not a good idea to program you address in the "Home" feature on your GPS or phone. There is a Police Station very close to my house so I programed that in for my "Home"! So far I have not had my GPS stolen but I did that just in case.

Hope they will not be back and they have not stolen anything of value from you.

Thats a really good idea I hadn't thought of it, I'am going to reprogram mine.

<SNIP> they had stolen all of her loose change, her GPS, all 1500+ CDs <SNIP>

For some reason I'm having a problem understanding why anyone would have 1500 CDs in a car used for family transportation.. Seems to me they would take up room for all the passengers plus half the trunk....

Just sayin'

For some reason I'm having a problem understanding why anyone would have 1500 CDs in a car used for family transportation.. Seems to me they would take up room for all the passengers plus half the trunk....

Just sayin'

It was her car, doesn't say anything about family transportation. She has a love for music, I have a friend with the same love for music who I would guess had even more CD's in his car, except they were all bought at the record store. They were too stolen once, and he found the thief at the Saturday market, called the cops, but only got about half of them back.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Late reply, I know, but just wanted to say that your response to officer seems common. However, I don't get it. It's as though a mindset exists that we proletariat citizens owe our right to own, carry and conceal to the government. I don't buy the idea that offering the unsolicited information increases a given safety environment. It's a God-given right, period. We owe nothing to government regarding 2nd A. Technically, we shouldn't even have to hold a permit to carry-conceal. The very reason that American liberties are challenged and degraded is our timidity to authority - too much respect is rendered and too much unsolicited information given to authority. I can't tell you the number of times in a month that I walk past cops, sit by them in fast food joints, pass them walking and never feel the need to tell them anything. You were in your home for heaven's sake! Frankly, it's "sucking up." Respectfully.

Despite our security lights, someone broke into our garage sometime during the night and broke into both of our locked vehicles. My youngest son discovered that the entry door of our garage was open while I was getting my family ready to leave for the day. I cleared the garage, then called the police. When they arrived, although it wasn't strictly necessary because I wasn't being stopped, I advised the responding officer that I have a CPL and was carrying. He never batted an eye, said, "OK," and went on with his business. Same thing when the CSI arrived on scene. Very anticlimactic.

Good catch and distinction. However, it's amazing that even the condition of being "stopped" requires this manipulative hoop through which to jump. If the officer has reason to search your person he's going to find it [weapon] immediately, anyhow. If he's simply 'stopping' you, traffic-related or other routine business, he has no reason to search your person; a moot issue. This hoop-jumping policy is blatantly unconstitutional and apparently Michigan's AG is too lazy or in the bag progressively to challenge it. We must view every detail of nonsensical authoritative hoop-jumping as serious because our liberties and Constitution are being chiseled away, bit by bit.

Not true. The responsibility to notify only applies when STOPPED by police. Now, it is also true that we have to provide our license and pistol UPON REQUEST. But the obligation to notify only applies when one is STOPPED by the police:

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back