Glock Shortage???

rrc1962

I told my dealer last weekend I wanted a G21 with night sights. He said, no problem, I'll have it by Wednesday. Went back on Friday to find that none of the Glocks they ordered came in. Another store said that Glocks are hard to come by because the military is getting most of them. I'm going to check another store today.

My primary dealer does have a G21 with picatinny rail but no night sights. They can add night sights, but they are not the factory Glock sights and the price would be more. $650 with factory installed night sights, $700 with store installed night sights...and I like the factory sights better. I hate settling for something other than what I want. I always seem to regret it.

Your thoughts???

I told my dealer last weekend I wanted a G21 with night sights. He said, no problem, I'll have it by Wednesday. Went back on Friday to find that none of the Glocks they ordered came in. Another store said that Glocks are hard to come by because the military is getting most of them. I'm going to check another store today.

My primary dealer does have a G21 with picatinny rail but no night sights. They can add night sights, but they are not the factory Glock sights and the price would be more. $650 with factory installed night sights, $700 with store installed night sights...and I like the factory sights better. I hate settling for something other than what I want. I always seem to regret it.

Your thoughts???

Check out the internet aucton sites. Seems like the market has stabalized and there's a healthier supply now. If the local dealer is putting on "Trijicon" or "Glock" sights, then I'd be willing to pay the $50 more to "get it now". From what I recall from my Glock armorers class, "Trijicon", "Glock" and "Meprolight" sights use saphires made by the same company. There are some slight cosmetic differences. They all like the same, but I don't seem to like the look of the "Meprolight" sights. Just my persoal preference, but they all work the same.

gf

Sportsman's Warehouse in Reno, NV has been completely sold out of all Glocks for at least a couple of weeks. Cabela's had a few yesterday though.

I never really wanted a Glock before, but maybe I should look into it while I still can.

I found a used G21 with night sights today for $600, which is way too much. This one had some mileage on it. The finish on the slide was worn down to the point that is was showing silver spots. It's not a problem finding a 21SF, just finding one with night sights.

The finish on the slide was worn down?!? I have never seen a Glock slide worn at all. You can scratch steel on those things without leaving a mark. Are you talking about where the barrel sticks out of the ejection port?

Last edited:
No, the finish on the rectangular slide was worn. I know it's an incredibly tough finish. It must have many thousands of draws form a holster to wear the finish. It could have also been an early model. Could be they improved the Tenifer process in later models. This was a G21, not a G21SF. It was one of the first models Glock introduced.

I'd be inerested to know which branch of the military was supposedly buying up the glocks. My scources tell me that Barretta won the contract again.

I think it's BS. I think there is a demand right now for guns and distributors are just out of stock sometimes. The same store that said they can't get any Glocks and may not have any more for months may have a whole display case full on Monday afternoon. It's a sales tactic to get you to buy what they have instead of what you really want.

They pulled it on me yesterday. They had a brand new Glock 21SF. Everyone else has the same gun for $599. This place wants $629 and they won't budge on price. Then they wanted $100 for the night sights plus installation. The pitch was that they could order what I wanted but it could take months, when I could take this one home right now. I'm just going to be patient and let my preferred dealer get it for me...Unless I get lucky at next weekends gun show.

I'm not sure about specific models, but there doesn't seem to be a shortage of Glocks here in SE GA. The few places I been to that sell firearms over the last couple of months had plenty of Glocks in the displays.

I don't know why I can't find a G21 with night sights. Every G30 I see on the dealer shelves has them. I suspect it's because they can make more money by adding them in the store rather than ordering them already equipped from the factory.

rrc1962 Wrote:

I don't know why I can't find a G21 with night sights. Every G30 I see on the dealer shelves has them. I suspect it's because they can make more money by adding them in the store rather than ordering them already equipped from the factory.

I think most people in the market for a Glock are just looking for the factory standard set-up. Don't know why there would be a difference between the G21 and G30 with regards to sights. All the models I have seen for sale all had the factory sights as far as I could tell.

All G21's I've seen in stock have that horrible U shaped rear site. The G30's seem to have three dot or night sights. When I bought my G30 they had one with three dot sights and one with night sights. The two look similar during the day.

I'd be inerested to know which branch of the military was supposedly buying up the glocks. My scources tell me that Barretta won the contract again.

Is this the guy who's supplying guns to the military? :lol:

baretta.jpg
[/IMG]

Many branches of the U.S. military currently use the Beretta, however I do know that there are other makes/models of sidearms out there.

gf

Since I am looking to get my CHL and favor the Glock 19, I can tell you that, (well here at least), as soon as a Glock hits the shelf,, IT IS GONE!

I have always been under the understanding that night sights provide a false sense of security. supposedly they are only good for one shot anyways and the talk is that you should shoot enough and practice night shooting or dusk anyways so that you are comfortable with it. What do you all thiink?:pleasantry:

I have always been under the understanding that night sights provide a false sense of security. supposedly they are only good for one shot anyways and the talk is that you should shoot enough and practice night shooting or dusk anyways so that you are comfortable with it. What do you all thiink?:pleasantry:

I like my night sights. The "3 dots" on my night stand is always reassuring. :wink: There's a reason why most LE agencies order their department issue firearms with night sights. When shooting, it's important to have a clear view of your front sight post. The night sights help.

gf

If you try shooting in the dark with them and without them you'll see the benefit. They are not bright enough to distract from your night vision. Without them you are aiming without sights. Ideally, you would want a light to light up the target and night sights to keep the sights visible. I'm not sure why you would get a false sense of security from being able to see your sights at night. Lets say you're in a gin fight. You have night sights and the other guy doesn't. You are both moving around, ducking and bobbing. Who do you think had the better chance of placing a shot on target? You or the guy who is just pointing his gun in your general direction and firing.

Last edited:
There does seem to be limited availability and a serious mark-up across the board on guns sales. Glock has always been popular, so it makes sense that their models aren't available like they were before the arms rush. I bought my last Glock in late 2005 for around $525 and at the time wished I had paid a little less. Oh well, gone are the days, hopefully things will level out a bit.
As to the military Glock sales being the cause of limited availability, I don't think that's really the case. Some military units do use Glock models, but this is not mainstream by any means. Several other countries' military use Glock as their standard, but not the US. Beretta still is the standard US military sidearm, but that's not to say that there aren't some 1911's, Sig M11, HK's and Glocks in play with special units. Glock's major US contract is not with the military, but the FBI under the DOJ would be a big one; about 95% of all FBI agents use Glock models 22 and 23, the other 5% are still hanging onto their Sig P226/228's from the 1990's. Then of course their are the countless local law enforcement agencies that contract with Glock as well. Truthfully though none of this is new, government Glock sales have been going strong for over a decade now. If you can't find a Glock for sale out there, it's because of the private sector and the gun rush, not government contracts.

Glock 19 particularly hard to find!

It's the gun rush... I finally got my hands on a Glock 19. For months I have been looking all over the Birmingham metro area and surrounding areas and haven't been able to find not one!! I finally went to a gun store in Trussville (Plaza Guns) and lo and behold the guy had ONE on display. He said he had just gotten it and was asking $499! Everything else I had priced was $529 or higher. Sports Academy had a display model (not for sale) with a price tag of $529. So, I snatched up the one for $499 from Plaza Guns right then and there. It wasn't until I got it home and did a close examination that I noticed the markings were different than any other GLock I had ever seen. Come to find out, the pistol was test fired this year and came directly from Austria and didn't go through the normal test firing process in smyrna, GA. It was test fired in Vienna. I think I did very very well in acquiring this pistol. See thread for pics of these markings. rrc1962 gave me lots of info on these!

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/handgun-discussion/6824-question-about-my-new-glock-19-a.html

Last edited:
I really want a G19 for my wife. So the short list is now...

G21 with night sights
G19 preferably with night sights, but I'm flexible
EOTech 512

At least the list is getting smaller. :)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back