Glock Handguns

Ride on keltecker

My CZ P01 has a 12 pound DA trigger, but I think it's way overkill :/
If only the p229 fit my hand, Sgt! I'd love to have that DAK trigger.

Jc40

I won`t let any stories scare me from making a decision about any gun.i was just curious to hear all sides of the spectrum and understand as sarge stated,everyone has to do what works best for them.I understand and respect his answer and didn`t want him to post it to get flamed by anyone.I still am interested in buying one and more than likely will.Once i save enough that is.:)

JC40, I'll answer your question at the risk of opening a can of worms. :eek:

A good friend of mine, who is a career police officer and now CCW instructor, witnessed another experienced officer accidentally shoot himself in the thigh with a Glock 23. He is lucky to be alive and will never walk normally again.

It was winter and he was wearing a jacket with a draw string at the waist with those barrel type string keepers. As he holstered his weapon, apparently that barrel keeper found it's way in to the trigger guard so as he pressed the weapon in to the holster his Glock fired.

Being told about that incident from a first hand witness started me thinking about what I consider now to be a dangerous aspect of the Glock design and what I also consider a safety hazard. No safety other than that trigger which is too easily defeated!

I'm sure there are those who will read this who will want to jump in and attack the shooter etc. etc. Again, I am posting this as a courtesy to JC40's request. NOT to debate the issue. I simply no longer feel safe carrying a Glock... that's just me. I still have a Glock 27 but am very likely going to sell it as I never carry it anymore.

So JC40, there ya have it bro! ;) ~ Sarge

I'm with you Sarge. I dumped mu Glock for an XD. My carry is a Kahr PM 9 and I love it. But I am thinking about dumping it for either an S.A or a XD. I just don't trust those guns with no safety. (And don't bother to argue Glockistas. I don't care if you think Glock or any other gun has 187 safeties, if all that it takes to shoot them is to pu;; the trigger, they don't have a safety.

I'm basically a Sig and Springfield man when it comes to autoloaders. I've always heard a lot of love them or hate them talk on the Glocks. When I go to my indoor range tommow I'll borrow one and blow through a box of ammo.

You can have all kinds of safeties, or none at all. Revolvers have none.
There will always be those who will shoot themselves!

The reason I like the Glock is that it's reliable, has the fewest moving parts of any pistol of similar size, and the trigger pull is the same every time which makes it a perfect personal defense gun. The one thing odd about the glock is that it's ergonomic design has the barrel elevated in a natural grip extension. Meaning if you hold the gun naturally in your hand like any other pistol the barrel will tend to be tilted upwards slightly. It takes a little getting use to.

The best safety is between out ears.

You can have all of the safetys in the world or none, but if you do not use the one between your ears nothing can be guaranteed safe.

spc ;)

Last edited:
Jc40

I believe i have settled on the glock 30.I like a 45 and the gun feels good in my hand.It is small enough to conceal well and is not heavy at all,so it shouldn`t be bulky for carry.Now it is time to shop around and save some money.

glock handguns

I have owned a Glock for 7 years now. I started out with the model G30 subcompact .45 ACP and have just recently traded it in for the full sized model G21 .45 ACP only because the G21 fit better in my large hands and was easier to reload quickly during IDPA competition. They are highly accurate right out of the box and very dependable. Someone posted that they were paranoid about all the safties (9) that the Glock had. There are only 3 safties and they are all internal and are all operated by the pull of the trigger. No external levers or buttons to manipulate before firing the gun, yet it is extremely safe as most modern handguns are these days. I think your best bet is ask some friends to try theirs or rent one if you can..

Good luck.

If one was really worried about a glock going off ad the triger block is a neat little thing....

I have a Glock 19. It is not my main carry gun but I still think it is a good weapon. What I like about it is it is simple. I carry a HKP2000 now but I have the Glock, a Sig and two Walthers all in 9mm. Only one of them has an external safety. If and when I have to use my weapon I want as little to have to think about as necessary but it still be safe to carry. That is one reason I do not like single action autos.

Glocks aren't my favorite weapon, mainly because of their weight distribution. They just feel awkward in my hand, and I can't get a good sight picture holding one. Same thing with the Springfield XD line. I'm also from the school of thought that the more "features" something has, the more likely one is to break and cause the equipment to fail. I'm sure that Glock's reliability is paramount, but I just get paranoid that one of those 9 or so safety features that it has will hang up.....but that's just me being paranoid.

My problem with Glocks is those nine safeties. As far as I'm concerned any gun which goes bang just by pulling the trigger has no safeties at least none that matter. But I'm probably paranoid too. I had a Glock and traded it for an XD 9. The addition of the grip safety just makes me feel a lot more comfortable.

Having said that, my always carry gun is Kahr PM 9 which also goes bang just by pulling the trigger. It seems to me that my 1911 with both thumb and grip safeties is the safest.

My paranoia leads me to do a dumb think with my Kahr. My IWB holster is good and tight. Takes some shoving to get the gun in it. I always wonder of something caught in the trigger might be causing that. Theres nothing there, (except the thought) Anyway, for that reason I never carry one in the chamber. Yeah, I know it's stupid. I practice the Israeli draw but I still know it's slower.
No knocking Glocks. It's just me.

Last edited:
I believe i have settled on the glock 30.I like a 45 and the gun feels good in my hand.It is small enough to conceal well and is not heavy at all,so it shouldn`t be bulky for carry.Now it is time to shop around and save some money.

Sounds like a good choice JC40! Just remember...

PRACTICE - PRACTICE - PRACTICE! :D

Blocks are well made handguns, that will take all kind of abuse and keep shooting, BUT I will never own one as I think they are ugly, un-safe, and have a bad grip angle.

But then that's just me.

Tarzan

Getting a Glock, or any other firearm, is a personal choice. What may work for someone else may not work for you. When I first started getting into guns for personal defense, about 12 years ago, I didn't like Glocks. But, then they came out with Gen 3 frame and they didn't seem so bad, but I still wasn't that big of a fan of them.

Later I wanted a small handgun and eventually choose the G27. At the time I all ready had a Sig 226 and a HK USP Compact. As time went on and I changed Departments I was issued a G22 and I started to like them. I have since changed Departments, for the last time, and I was given a choice of G17 or G19. I went with the G17 because it was bigger. I have since become a big fan of them. So much so that I have sold my Sig and HK and ended up buying more Glocks. I now own four Glocks plus the one I'm issued. I hope to get more.

They have got to be one of the most reliable and durable handguns out there. I think that has got to be one of the most important things a person should check into when getting a gun for personal defense.

I know there is a lot of things said about Glocks being unsafe. To me the gun isn't unsafe, it's the person that is handling it that is unsafe. Some people think Glocks are ugly and don't use them for that reason, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if asthetics are what you are using to decide on what gun you use for personal defense, then you need to get a new Mindset.

I don't use Glocks because they are pretty or ugly, I use them because it works everytime I pull the trigger, they require less maintenance than other guns, I'm accurate with it, the magazines hold a lot of ammo, the smaller Glocks will take magazines for bigger Glocks, there are a lot of accessories for them thus making them cheaper and easier to get, and Glocks are more in the middle to lower end of the price scale, although this depends on your area.

For me Glocks are about as perfect as a gun as you can get. Again that is for me, I realize this is not so for everyone. So go to a gun store that has an indoor range and that rents handguns. Shoot the ones you are interested in and then decide which one is the best for YOU. YOU are the one that is going to have to live with the decision.

I am actually looking for a gun store that has Glocks, XD's, and M&P's so I can try them side by side each other to see which one like and if it ends up not being the Glock, then I just might get rid of the Glocks and go with the other that I like better.

After market for glocks is like 1911's and prices are about the same. Box stock 1911 about $6oo. Im seeing some pretty pricey custom G locks out there.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back