Glock guide rods?

concealedinla

What is all the fuss about replacing the plastic guide rod with a heavier one?

What will the difference be in the weapon?

Glock recommends replacement every 5,000 rounds and yes the lip of the guide rod can break. I replaced my plastic one with a metal one. Some say the heavier rod will help mitigate recoil but I honestly can't tell much difference. My G27 came with a metal one from the factory but my G22 was plastic. So if a metal one is available and will last well beyond 5,000 rounds why not switch it. I have had zero failures.

I highly favor the grip on my Gen-3 Mod-22, however, I do appreciate the G-4 M-22’s new twenty-five year break-thru with the much better looking spring assembly. I hope it is as good as they claim. I have read a little of the replacements for the Gen-1,2 and 3’s but have no hard evidence. Will be watchful of the posts from folks on the “Street” to see what they might add.

FYI - I've replaced the plastic guide rod on my Glock M-34 with a steel rod. I feel the result is less perceived recoil. But, please note...if you shoot IDPA, you may shoot with the gun only in Enhanced Service Pistol division, and DO NOT replace the guide rod with tungsten, since that excesssively increases the weight of the gun and violates IDPA rules.

Joe J

Hum, I have no hard evidence concerning the reliability of the old v. new Glock guide rod. In my youth I did compete, however, it was a few years ago and was with a S&W Mod. 15 and a 19. Safari Land speed-loaders were the very best. Our duty weapons were S&W’s, with a hodgepodge of “K” frames. I had thoughts of competing once again, in these modern times but I had an awakening and found out I am not as young as I thought. This is akin to my old dog. He thought he was younger and thereby wanted to defend his territory from other dogs, but I knew his limitations, now I must consider my limitations. I sold my Glock 35 and just have the two G22’s. I need to consider which to keep and carry. The guide rod is an issue however, with the G-22 Gen-3’s grip design I just do not know. I carry the Kimber just because. Stupid but I am just korn-fused as to what I like. Either way I am covered, think?

I'll offer an answer; but, first, what Glock model and what generation are you talking about? (By the way, you don't mean, 'heavier'; you, probably, meant to say, 'metal'.)

guide rid

I see no problem with the factory guide rod or most aftermarket metal ones are nice 2 I've used both never a problem

glock guide rods

As with Glock, there are so many upgrades you can make to improve your Firearm. If you would like a Firearm that is ready out of the box...The Springfield XD and XDM are the way to go.

I have asked this question before on a separate forum, what is the beauty of the Springfield XD’s? A Police Chief I have known for a few years stated she had no trouble qualifying with the XD’s nor did any of her Officers. She stated she did have an issue with the Glocks. I am a handgun bigot so as to speak, so I may have to kowtow and try one, what would you suggest as a starter, and would you say it is better than a Sig?

I have no idea to be honest.
All of my Glocks still have the original poymer guide rods and I have never had an issue with any of them.
My oldest Glock is 20 years old, it runs like new and it still has the original guide rod in place.

Do any Shooters here have a response to my original question? The XD issue. Anyone have a working knowledge of the XD? I have not seen or chatted with anyone I know other than the police chief. She is very knowledgably concerning theses issues. Prior to her appointment to this position, she was an officer on the street and for many years, she was in the retail weapons business.

Do any Shooters here have a response to my original question? The XD issue. Anyone have a working knowledge of the XD? I have not seen or chatted with anyone I know other than the police chief. She is very knowledgably concerning theses issues. Prior to her appointment to this position, she was an officer on the street and for many years, she was in the retail weapons business.

I have no experience with the XD, but I have an XDm Compact 3.8 I bought new September of last year. I never had any Springfield Armory weapon in my hand prior to this purchase and it was ordered in so I didn't handle this one in the shop. It fit me like a glove right out of the box. I consider a weapon broken in at 1000 rounds so that is where I stopped counting, but I would guess I have fired 1500 to 1800 rounds by now with no problems at all. I put 500 rounds through it before I cleaned other than the barrel (they fire a proof round at the factory, it was just a quick wipe). It eats anything I feed it (Winchester-Federal-Hornady), cheap or expensive. Everything about the weapon was perfect for me right out of the box and still is. I agree with the Chief about accuracy. This is my first ever shot with it at a measured 10 yards.

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back