Glock 27 owners...I need your knowledge!

RMcLeod21

I have never owned or shot a handgun before. My dad taught me to shoot a shotgun when I was young (we won't mention how long ago that was ;)) and that's the extent of my gun knowledge, so please bear with me. I have just purchased a Glock 27 for self defense (still under 5 day waiting period) and I can not wait to get my hands on it! That being said, 1.) I want to know if I can use Federal Hydra-Shok JHP in this gun. 2.) If not, what ammo would you recommend for this gun. And 3.) How does the Glock 27 rate to other guns you own or have shot?

Thanks for the help!

Rachell, you're really putting the cart before the horse. If you've never shot a handgun before, don't bother trying to figure out what sort of defensive rounds you need just yet. Take it to the range, where if they don't offer a beginners' class, there's probably someone there that can train you in the proper use, care, and shooting of your new Glock. Get familiar with it first, practice (I'd say at least 500 rounds through it), then take a carry class.

Rachell, you're really putting the cart before the horse. If you've never shot a handgun before, don't bother trying to figure out what sort of defensive rounds you need just yet. Take it to the range, where if they don't offer a beginners' class, there's probably someone there that can train you in the proper use, care, and shooting of your new Glock. Get familiar with it first, practice (I'd say at least 500 rounds through it), then take a carry class.

I agree completely that you should learn to shoot it before carrying it. That being said, in answer to your questions......

1. Yes, hydrashocks work just fine in G27's (as does pretty much any ammo....Glocks eat pretty much anything)

2. Glocks in general are excellent guns, especially for new users. They are easy to take care of, easy to clean, and easy to use. Plus, they are arguably (sp?) the most reliable automatics out there.

1. Yes, hydrashocks work just fine in G27's (as does pretty much any ammo....Glocks eat pretty much anything)

2. Glocks in general are excellent guns, especially for new users. They are easy to take care of, easy to clean, and easy to use. Plus, they are arguably (sp?) the most reliable automatics out there.

+1 I carried my G27 for about 5 years and could perform surgery with it. I always used Hydra Shox.

Oh that goes without saying guys (and gals). I am definately going to take basic handgun as well as concealed carry classes. I tend to over think things is all and I want to make sure I get the right ammo for me AND my gun. I will have to provide my own ammo when going to the range...yes? And the guy at the establishment I bought the gun from seemed to have nothing but negative comments about a "woman owning such a small .40 cal especially being a first time handgun shooter" and that I probably wouldn't be able to handle the recoil (thanks for the confidence, guy). So I was doing research about low recoil ammunition and Federal has the Hydra Shok JHP in 135 gr. You all seem so knowledgable I just figured I would ask your opinion(s). Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming!

I'm not particularly fond of the Federal Hydra-shock round as I think it's over rated. I prefer the Speer Gold Dot ammunition. I feel the performance is better and it costs less. It's a matter of personal preference. Sort of like the "Coke vs. Pepsi" debate. Due to it's size, the Glock 27 can be a rather jumpy gun. I use the 165 grain bullet weight in my Glock 27s' and Glock 23. You may want to start out with a 180 grain bullet weight. I found that the heavier bullet made the Glock 27 easier to shoot. This is good for mastering the basic shooting fundamentals. Once you've got your shooting technique down and you're able to accurately place rounds in a target on a consistent basis, then you can experiment with different bullet weights, ammunition brands, etc.

Due to the size of the firearm, the Glock 27 gave me a problem with the grip. My baby finger would dangle with no place to go. I strongly recommend picking up a "Pierce" brand grip extension for each of your magazines. There are many different brands out there. I found "Pierce" to be the most comfortable and trouble free. There are two types out there. One type is simply a grip extension, the other will add 1 round capacity to your magazines. My theory is that in a gun fight, you can never have too much ammo :D, so I have the +1 extension for all of my Glock 27s'. Again, this is a matter of personal choice. Which ever option you choose, be sure that you get everything set up the same way. You don't want to be guessing which magazine is which.

The most important part of shooting at this point is consistency. Learn the right way the first time, and be consistent.

gf

Glock 27

After a disaster w/a Kahr 40,less then 150 rnds thru it,i bought a used glock 27,then tricked it out w/XS big dot tritium sites,Lasermax laser,had a manual safety installed,extended mag release & pierce +1 grip extension w/stonger springs from midway & use mostly gold dots or saber rounds for shooting and carry,if you shoot a lot ammoman.com has some great prices,and if you save the cases can eventually reload if you don't use lead bullets in their barrel, will be taking it to frontsight for their 4 day defensive gun course in a week, using their ammo,Scott

Love those "Gold Dots" and "Golden Sabers". LaserMax sight is a great accessory, much better than the "Crimson Trace" version. Despite many shooters disapproval, I think night sights are always a great idea. When you're looking for your gun at 2am and some thug is breaking into your house, it makes it a lot easier to find. ;) Don't know about the manual safety though. There are already 3 safety features incorporated in the design. I wouldn't mess with it other than using a "Glock Block" when carrying in the pocket. With safe firearms handling and using a good holster, there's no need for any modifications to the gun. One very important word of caution, ALWAYS use some type of "jacketed" round with the Glock (JHP, FMJ, JSP, etc). Lead bullets will mess up the rifling in your Glock and can cause a serious malfunction that could result in SERIOUS INJURY or DEATH. When I took the armorer's course, some wise guy made a comment about Glock owning shares of stock in ammo companies, so they want you to shoot "expensive" ammo (jacketed ammunition). Another student in the class brought in a couple of photos after the lunch break. It happens that he had a case where a Glock barrel burst and put two people in the hospital. After examining the firearm, it was determined that excessive lead build up in the rifling caused an obstruction that resulted in the burst barrel.

Follow the manufacturer's instructions. Read the book and know your firearm better than your spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc. Your firearm can kill you in an instant, your spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc., will nag you to death over time. :D

Be safe and shoot straight.

gf

Can't speak to the 27 but my wife has a 26 (9mm) and it digests everything well. You should be fine.

The FBIs list of approved rounds for .40...

Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)
Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (Q4355)

Hydrashoks are based on older bullet technology and although I believe whatever is available in your area and reliable in your gun should be your SD ammo...there are better choices.

I forgot all about my extensions. These are a must have for any sub-Glock and I will have to agree that the 27 is an absolute HANDFUL in more ways than one. I never actually enjoyed shooting it much but, I don't believe in switching around my SD guns. I carried it all the time and could conceal it in anything I wore.

My 27 will feed anything I put in it. I usually carry Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP ammo in mine. I have some Federal Hydra-shock ammo in different calibers, in it's day it was some of the best ammo available. Heck I still have some Super Vel laying around.:)

I'm not particularly fond of the Federal Hydra-shock round as I think it's over rated. I prefer the Speer Gold Dot ammunition. I feel the performance is better and it costs less. It's a matter of personal preference. Sort of like the "Coke vs. Pepsi" debate. Due to it's size, the Glock 27 can be a rather jumpy gun. I use the 165 grain bullet weight in my Glock 27s' and Glock 23. You may want to start out with a 180 grain bullet weight. I found that the heavier bullet made the Glock 27 easier to shoot. This is good for mastering the basic shooting fundamentals. Once you've got your shooting technique down and you're able to accurately place rounds in a target on a consistent basis, then you can experiment with different bullet weights, ammunition brands, etc.

Due to the size of the firearm, the Glock 27 gave me a problem with the grip. My baby finger would dangle with no place to go. I strongly recommend picking up a "Pierce" brand grip extension for each of your magazines. There are many different brands out there. I found "Pierce" to be the most comfortable and trouble free. There are two types out there. One type is simply a grip extension, the other will add 1 round capacity to your magazines. My theory is that in a gun fight, you can never have too much ammo :D, so I have the +1 extension for all of my Glock 27s'. Again, this is a matter of personal choice. Which ever option you choose, be sure that you get everything set up the same way. You don't want to be guessing which magazine is which.

The most important part of shooting at this point is consistency. Learn the right way the first time, and be consistent.

gf

I tend to agree with this. Ya, ammo can be more of a personal choice. I added the extensions to my mags and that makes it just right for me. Getting a third finger around the grip helps a lot, and it is still small enough to conceal.

My Glock 27 is my standard carry gun.

I have several Glock's, I carry a 19 ever day, No matter what ammo you use, the Glock can handel it... But go to the rang practice, practice, then practice some more, I only shoot Winchester ammo, it works well, and has never given me any reason to try other ammo...

We have 2 Glock 27's...the wife's is fitted with a LaserMax. I also have a +1 finger extension on two of the magazines. I'm 6' and 215lbs and I have no trouble fitting the gun to my hand. In fact, there's something comforting about being able to wrap your fist completely around the grip and feeling like you have a handful, while having it still be compact enough to control. I like 'em, but I also like my 1911's, having cut my teeth on them. I feed the Glock either Federal FMJ-Expanding point or a good quality JHP, like a Gold Dot, Winchester SilverTip or CorBon. No lead...no reloads.

Get trained, put lotsa lead downrange, and good luck.

I am so glad I asked. You all have given me some really great advice. Thank you all so much for taking the time out to answer this newbie's questions. You have really helped to put my mind at ease a bit. I will keep you all posted on how I do when I take it to the range. I CAN'T WAIT!!! :D

Yep... It is the "Speer Gold Dot" or Remington "Golden Saber for me"... Definately get the finger extension for your magazines. It will help you stabilize and recover from recoil more quickly. Check out glockstore.com for their various extenders.

So, how has the G27 worked out for you? I have had mine for about 11 years now, and was very pleased at how much less the recoil was than what I had expected. Have you decided upon a SD ammo?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back