Glock 27 or S&W 642?

The Gunny

Okay here I go again. I am still trying to decide on a good BUG AKA pocket pistol.

I was up late last night, couldn't sleep, so I started looking at old gun magazines. I spotted a Walther PPKS cool!I thought this may be it. Well I went to the computer and started researching and it did not pan out 38 ACP, yech, mixed reviews on FTF/ FTE ect. So scratch that but began more serious reasearch on pocket guns.

So now I am looking at the Glock 27 a Sub compact in 40 S&W 9 round mag (10 with one in the pipe) 20 oz (26 oz loaded) 6.2 length, 4.1 Ht, 1.1 width

I had been looking at the S&W 38 Spl 642 Airweight 5 shot 15 oz 18 oz loaded same rough dimensions.

So now the question which is the better pocket pistol ? And yes I do intend to carry it in my pocket in a Desantis Nemisis posket holster I may one day get a ankle holser too but not right away.

I intend this as a BUG to my 1911 Kimber 45 or a ultra concealed carry for when the big ol' 45 won't hide to good ie summer time.

So there it is folks, let me have it the good, the bad and the ugly fire when ready.

This would be easy for me, Glock is my gun of choice, But its up to you, go try them bosath, see how they feel to you, the final choice is yours............

Both my Lovely Bride and I have G-27's and we're very happy with them. I'm not a big fan of the new and improved Smith & Wesson company, either the Corporation or the products. Loved the hell out of my old S&W Mdl 19 Combat Masterpiece, though! I wish I still had it.

Last edited:
I've shot several pistols in the "air weight" line and they are all very hard shooting. The combination of a light weight frame and short barrel make it very difficult to handle. I'll stick with my G27s' for now.

gf

Man, it's hard to say which one is best for you. I don't mind the extra thickness and weight of my G-27 but the 642 is a sweet gun to carry and you could pocket carry the 642 a bit easier. For a BUG, I think I'd go with the Smith! :y:

I have had a 642 for over a year with over a 1000+ rounds used and have had no problems, 90% of my practice is point shooting at 10 to 15 feet, there not made for longer shots and being accurate at least for me. go with the Mika holster it doesn't stay with it when you pull it out of your pocket.

Last edited:
Okay here I go again. I am still trying to decide on a good BUG AKA pocket pistol.

I was up late last night, couldn't sleep, so I started looking at old gun magazines. I spotted a Walther PPKS cool!I thought this may be it. Well I went to the computer and started researching and it did not pan out 38 ACP, yech, mixed reviews on FTF/ FTE ect. So scratch that but began more serious reasearch on pocket guns.

So now I am looking at the Glock 27 a Sub compact in 40 S&W 9 round mag (10 with one in the pipe) 20 oz (26 oz loaded) 6.2 length, 4.1 Ht, 1.1 width

I had been looking at the S&W 38 Spl 642 Airweight 5 shot 15 oz 18 oz loaded same rough dimensions.

So now the question which is the better pocket pistol ? And yes I do intend to carry it in my pocket in a Desantis Nemisis posket holster I may one day get a ankle holser too but not right away.

So there it is folks, let me have it the good, the bad and the ugly fire when ready.

Buy a Kel-Tec P3AT and load it with Buffalo Bore +P 380 ammo which you can get from Cabela's. Here's a link to a test of the Buffalo Bore 380's along with a 40 cal:

Link Removed

It demonstrates that the 380 is rather impressive when loaded with the right ammo. It actually outperforms the 38 spl +P Gold Dots from snubbies like the 642. One of the conclusions was: "The P3AT with BB Gold Dot is a formidable defensive weapon - penetrating almost 14 inches of plaster with a half inch+ diameter wound path after going through denim and rib cage. Compare the P3AT with BB Gold Dot at 236 ft lb actual measured energy with a S&W Snub Nose 38cal +P Double Tap Gold Dot at actual measured 199 ft lb. I'll take the P3AT any day". Also, the KT P3AT is tiny. It only weighs slightly over a half a pound. I put mine in an Uncle Mike's No. 2 Pocket holster and it disappears when dropped into the pocket of a pair of shorts. I have other defense guns including a 40 S&W (Taurus PT140 Mil Pro) but the little KT with BB ammo is the ultimate in compact carry combined with stopping power.

As a dedicated "Pocket Gun" I have a S&W 442.

I looked at the Glock 26 and even have a Kahr PM9. I found the Glock too thick for daily pocket carry and the Kahr is too hard to draw from the pocket, as is the Glock. The curves of a Revolver make drawing it from the pocket easier. Also, you can fire the 642/442 from a jacket pocket and not induce a "jam".

Yes, the Glock will hold more rounds, but this is a BUG. If you are going for your BUG it means you have been injured or shot up all your ammo in your Primary Weapon. I routinely carry two guns and 90% of the time I have my BUG in my pocket. Although I shoot my BUG out to 25 Yards I practice most at 1.5 Yards to 7 Yards.

The 642 will, IMO, be easier to carry and carried more frequently than the Glock. Please don't lose sight of what a BUG is designed to do when making your selection. If you were carrying a Glock 23 as an EDC I might consider the Glock 27 as a viable BUG, but you're not. Also, I have a Glock 19 that I carry infrequently off duty. My BUG is still a 442.

I hope this helps.

Biker

Some choices are just too tough to make.

However, after a little research here and there I was able to confirm the fact that Glock is still offering a $100 discount to LEO's, Active Reserve and Retired Military and now even adding Firefighters and EMT first responders to the list. WOW!!

So a standard Glock 27 will run me $398 CHA CHING!!! So that will be first and since the price is right will begin searching for a used S&W 642 should be able to pick one up for around $250-$300 OH YEAH DADDY LIKE!

So my answer to the problem is to buy both. Oh yes very happy.

Gunny, do some shopping around should be able to find a new 642 starting around 335, if I see one with a good price I will let you know. last time I talk to my ffl friend it was 335 that has been around 3 months ago. check cdnn.

DJ58

Not even a real choice there for me. The 642 is a fantastic gun and very easy to carry in the pocket. It's size and weight make it a hand full to shoot but for a pocket pistol, size and weight are everything.

I have a Glock26 and a Smith 442. Both are small enough to pocket carry, but I think the Smith is, by far, the easiest to carry. It hides better and weighs less loaded (Certainly due to the amount of ammo the Glock holds). The Glock is definitely easier to shoot comfortably. Since getting my Smith 442, my Glock doesn't see much use, though. Both have benefits.

Some choices are just too tough to make.

However, after a little research here and there I was able to confirm the fact that Glock is still offering a $100 discount to LEO's, Active Reserve and Retired Military and now even adding Firefighters and EMT first responders to the list. WOW!!

So a standard Glock 27 will run me $398 CHA CHING!!! So that will be first and since the price is right will begin searching for a used S&W 642 should be able to pick one up for around $250-$300 OH YEAH DADDY LIKE!

So my answer to the problem is to buy both. Oh yes very happy.

Very cool. Congrats lucky man.

My wife gave me a S&W 642 for my birthday to go along with my CCW. I must admit, though I smiled gratefully for her thoughtfulness I was underwhelmed by the ugly little revolver. I have a Glock 36 that I use for self defense and love the .45.

Having squeezed a couple hundred rounds through the 642 and dry fired another couple hundred times I LOVE IT...for the purpose. It is an awesome blend of revolver reliability, concealability, .38 +P stopping power, decent accuracy at self defense distances and lightweight carry. It does require dedicated PRACTICE however. Guys, I suggest using the first knuckle for trigger contact.

The Glock 36 is a beautiful weapon but the few jams I've had stick in my mind when I think of an actual self defense situation. I never thought of the Glock 36 ask bulky until I carried the 642.

CAUTION! After range practice with the long trigger pull 642, it is easy to have an early discharge when switching to an automatic or single action revolver with lighter trigger pull. After 40 years of responsible firearm handling there is a hole in the ceiling of my firing range with my name on it. The switch from the S&W 642 to my Colt 1911 required more adjustment than I gave it.

I am a surprised admirer of the S&W 642. It is now my regular concealed carry.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back