Glock 26 vs Sig Sauer P290RS vs Walther PPS

Rick Allford

Hello all,

I am trying to finalize my CCW choice and since this is all new to me, I thought I would get some advice from the forum.

I am 5'8" and 170lbs (not a big guy) and I do a lot of bass fishing throughout Texas (3-4times / month). I want to be able to carry my weapon in my cargo shorts pockets, or IWB and at the 4 o'clock position. The glock seems to be a bit chunky; I have heard horror stories about the Sig P290RS' magazine falling out (WTH?!) and that the Walther's quality control may be an issue... Therefore, I am reaching out for some advice. Please consider my requirements with any suggestions you may have. Thanks in advance!

Hello all,

I am trying to finalize my CCW choice and since this is all new to me, I thought I would get some advice from the forum.

I am 5'8" and 170lbs (not a big guy) and I do a lot of bass fishing throughout Texas (3-4times / month). I want to be able to carry my weapon in my cargo shorts pockets, or IWB and at the 4 o'clock position. The glock seems to be a bit chunky; I have heard horror stories about the Sig P290RS' magazine falling out (WTH?!) and that the Walther's quality control may be an issue... Therefore, I am reaching out for some advice. Please consider my requirements with any suggestions you may have. Thanks in advance!

You and I are about the same size.

I have the Walther PPS and love it--extremely reliable, fun to shoot, and thin. But I would personally never carry one in a cargo pocket, simply because of the weight and reduced accessibility vs. carrying on the waist.

IWB is perfect with this handgun. For me, 1 o'clock to 2:30 conceals well and is comfortable. I use a Kydex holster by PJ Holster which maintains the overall thin profile.

I am not aware of any quality control issues with the current run of PPS handguns.

However, as easy as it is to conceal the PPS, I like to go even smaller when wearing shorts & t-shirt. I find myself carrying the Ruger LCP .380 most of the time while wearing lighter clothing. It fits comfortably in a pocket, and hides even better than the PPS AIWB.

I was recently looking for a small 9mm and went thru the S&W Shield, the Glock 26, and also the new Ruger LC9S. I ended up deciding on the Sig Sauer P938, and love it. Its lighter than the P290RS by a few ounces, but a bit longer. Its also based on the 1911, which is perfect for me as I carry a 1911 a lot of the time, so the safety, slide lock, etc. are all the same basic motions. Ultimately go with what feels best for you, in my case that was the Sig. For what its worth, the Glock 26 was my second choice, I found it was a little bulky in my hand for a subcompact, but its tough to pass up the double stack magazine capacity and the Glock reliability.

Fishing is damp. Will other guns hold up to a damp lifestyle like a older Glock (imho newer Glocks do not combat moisture as well as older ones)?

A Glock 19 in 9mm or 23 in .40 is hard to beat. Get one customized to dehorn it (make it a little smaller, less prone to catching on clothing) and you have a perfect handgun.

Hello all,

I'd toss the G26 off the list right off the bat, to heavy, to thick, I've owned it and it's not a great carry gun. The PPS is nice as well as the Sig, I would never recommend Cargo carry, it's bad at every level. Aside from the fact you won't get the gun out as quick as you want to, regardless of holster it's going to swing around and smack your knee at every step. I'd also recommend considering an M&P Shield for that list.

This might be irrelevant for you, but one thing I have done is chosen all my handguns along a "standard"; my favorite pistol, the 1911, being the standard.
Okay, so what do I mean by this? I mean that all my handguns have controls that either operate similarly to a 1911, or they at least don't conflict with the controls of the 1911. Soooo, for me; CZ 75B is IN (same controls), Glocks are IN (their controls don't conflict). Walter PPK and PP series are OUT because of their "upside down" safety lever, etc.
Just my 2 cents.

You and I are about the same size.

I have the Walther PPS and love it--extremely reliable, fun to shoot, and thin. But I would personally never carry one in a cargo pocket, simply because of the weight and reduced accessibility vs. carrying on the waist.

IWB is perfect with this handgun. For me, 1 o'clock to 2:30 conceals well and is comfortable. I use a Kydex holster by PJ Holster which maintains the overall thin profile.

I am not aware of any quality control issues with the current run of PPS handguns.

However, as easy as it is to conceal the PPS, I like to go even smaller when wearing shorts & t-shirt. I find myself carrying the Ruger LCP .380 most of the time while wearing lighter clothing. It fits comfortably in a pocket, and hides even better than the PPS AIWB.

What he said, exactly, word for word.......my size and my choices to carry. I don't like IWB though, I don't have enough padding :)
Mostly I carry the LCP in a DeSantis Nemisis in a cargo pocket, but also love the PPS........both are well made and dependable.

I do not carry my primary weapon in a cargo pocket, but I do carry a BUG (Glock 42, S&W 042) in a cargo pocket w/ a Desantis Nemesis holster regularly and have never had a problem. "Regardless of holster it's going to swing around and smack your knee at every step" is simply not true if you choose your clothing/ handgun wisely. The Glock 26 is too heavy IMHO to cargo pocket carry. I carried the SIG P290RS in a cargo pocket for awhile and it was right on the edge of too heavy. The Kimber Solo is great for cargo pocket carry. Nice and light, great ergos and trigger, and about as snag free as it gets. The downside of the Kimber is the price.
Choose a lightweight pistol and some not so baggy cargo shorts and you should not have a problem. It is slower to access the weapon, but with practice can be done with relative speed.

I do not carry my primary weapon in a cargo pocket, but I do carry a BUG (Glock 42, S&W 042) in a cargo pocket w/ a Desantis Nemesis holster regularly and have never had a problem. "Regardless of holster it's going to swing around and smack your knee at every step" is simply not true if you choose your clothing/ handgun wisely. The Glock 26 is too heavy IMHO to cargo pocket carry. I carried the SIG P290RS in a cargo pocket for awhile and it was right on the edge of too heavy. The Kimber Solo is great for cargo pocket carry. Nice and light, great ergos and trigger, and about as snag free as it gets. The downside of the Kimber is the price.
Choose a lightweight pistol and some not so baggy cargo shorts and you should not have a problem. It is slower to access the weapon, but with practice can be done with relative speed.

I've got to put a plug in for Croft & Barrow cargo pants. I've tried several brands and these are tops. Both the cargo pockets and the front pockets are good for my LCP in a Nemisis. There is a nice stretchy expansion in the waist band so if your weight varies a bit the pants make the adjustment for you :)
I don't like IWB but if you do you can carry that way without having to get a larger waist size. Kohl's online is the place to get them. Kohl's is like Penney's though you have to catch a sale as the price varies almost day to day. There are a ton of Kohl's coupons available too, and you can even use 2 coupons. Check 'em out.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back