glock 23 vs glock 30s

Glocknut78

Thoughts on both going to local range to shoot both in a few weeks any thing to watch for or helpful tips would be great thank you for your time

The Glock Model 30 is considered to be one of the most - if not the most - inherently accurate pistols that Glock makes. I, also, think you'll find 45 ACP to be easier to control during rapid fire than either 40 caliber, or 10mm. 45 ACP has a desirable lower, 'peak ignition pressure' than either 40 caliber or 10mm. (Helps with Glock's occasional, 'kaBoom!' problems, too.)

The Glock Model 30 is considered to be one of the most - if not the most - inherently accurate pistols that Glock makes.

Based on what data? The Glock 30 has a sight radius of 5.91 inches and the Glock 21 has one of 6.77 inches. The Glock 21 would be more accurate than the Glock 30. Usually the shooter is less accurate than the pistol.

I, also, think you'll find 45 ACP to be easier to control during rapid fire than either 40 caliber, or 10mm.

Correct, unless you use some type of compensator or ported barrel.

45 ACP has a desirable lower, 'peak ignition pressure' than either 40 caliber or 10mm. (Helps with Glock's occasional, 'kaBoom!' problems, too.)

That KaBoom issue is mostly related to ammo and not the gun: Glock kB! FAQ v1.35

I shoot a friends g21 and his g30 I like the 30 better and accuracy is not a issues it will be my edc

I have the (compact) Glock 19 and the (subcompact) Glock 26, and I shoot the Glock 26 better. I believe that the snappier Glock 26 prevents me from rushing my shots, i.e., slapping the trigger from the reset. The Glock 19 has really close to zero recoil for me, so I am running it fast on the trigger reset.

I also shoot the Glock 20 pretty well. I have the Lone Wolf externally ported barrel, which drastically cuts down on the muzzle rise.

All things being equal except barrel length, all things being factory original, there is no mechanical or physical reason one would shoot more accurately with a shorter sight radius gun.

Based on what data? The Glock 30 has a sight radius of 5.91 inches and the Glock 21 has one of 6.77 inches. The Glock 21 would be more accurate than the Glock 30. Usually the shooter is less accurate than the pistol.

Based on 12 years on Glock Talk, almost 20,000 posts, (at least one of them over 12 pages long on G-30's) and (I don't know?), maybe, 150,000 fired rounds worth of general pistol firing range experience, and (close to) 60 or 65,000 rounds of shooting experience with Glock pistols. (How's that?)

Correct, unless you use some type of compensator or ported barrel.

NOT necessarily true. The degree of recoil reduction and muzzle control realized depends on several other factors like: rate-of-fire, size, shape, placement, and the number of ports. I've got ported muzzles on, about, 1/2 of my pistol barrels; some work better than others; and, who in their right mind (outside of either Lone Wolf advertisements or Hollywood movies) hangs a compensator on a combat pistol barrel?

That KaBoom issue is mostly related to ammo and not the gun: .......

No, it certainly is not. That supposition is pure internet gun forum palaver: Looks good, reads well, appears to be correct, and was written by someone who never had to live with the problem. Neither do the people at The Gun Zone know as much about Glock pistols as they like to pretend. Read my most recent post on this forum; it'll give you more detail into the problem: A problem that - long before the Georgia State Patrol, and the Portland Police Bureau filed a joint lawsuit against Glock, Inc in order to resolve their own mysterious kaBOOM! problems - I had to live with for almost two years!

(Hell, it made a decent armorer out of me, caused me to radically modify my own Glocks; and, to the very best of my knowledge, I am the first person on Glock Talk to report that I strongly suspected Glock's polymer frames vibrated while firing; and I did this, nearly, two full years BEFORE the factory engineer Glock, GmbH sent to Hasbrouck Heights, NJ, all of a sudden like, publicly coined the phrase, 'harmonic frame vibration'.)

You couldn't be more wrong on this one; but, hey, on internet gun forums everybody's an expert - Right! (Like I've never read, 'Glock kB! FAQ v1.35 before!)

NOTE: One more thing: A pistol's inherent (mechanical) accuracy is NOT a primary function of barrel length. Other things equal: How the pistol is balanced, fits in your hand, and how tightly it is put together are, also, important considerations. Many Glock Talkers who are, also, G-30 owners believe that the reduced amount of mechanical, 'slop' and tighter slide-to frame fitting contribute strongly to the improved accuracy they get from their G-30's.

Howdy Arc,

Based on 12 years on Glock Talk, almost 20,000 posts, (at least one of them over 12 pages long on G-30's) and (I don't know?), maybe, 150,000 fired rounds worth of general pistol firing range experience, and (close to) 60 or 65,000 rounds of shooting experience with Glock pistols. (How's that?)

NOT necessarily true. The degree of recoil reduction and muzzle control realized depends on several other factors like: rate-of-fire, size, shape, placement, and the number of ports. I've got ported muzzles on, about, 1/2 of my pistol barrels; some work better than others; and, who in their right mind (outside of either Lone Wolf advertisements or Hollywood movies) hangs a compensator on a combat pistol barrel?

No, it certainly is not. That supposition is pure internet gun forum palaver: Looks good, reads well, appears to be correct, and was written by someone who never had to live with the problem. Neither do the people at The Gun Zone know as much about Glock pistols as they like to pretend. Read my most recent post on this forum; it'll give you more detail into the problem: A problem that - long before the Georgia State Patrol, and the Portland Police Bureau filed a joint lawsuit against Glock, Inc in order to resolve their own mysterious kaBOOM! problems - I had to live with for almost two years!

(Hell, it made a decent armorer out of me, caused me to radically modify my own Glocks; and, to the very best of my knowledge, I am the first person on Glock Talk to report that I strongly suspected Glock's polymer frames vibrated while firing; and I did this, nearly, two full years BEFORE the factory engineer Glock, GmbH sent to Hasbrouck Heights, NJ, all of a sudden like, publicly coined the phrase, 'harmonic frame vibration'.)

You couldn't be more wrong on this one; but, hey, on internet gun forums everybody's an expert - Right! (Like I've never read, 'Glock kB! FAQ v1.35 before!)

NOTE: One more thing: A pistol's inherent (mechanical) accuracy is NOT a primary function of barrel length. Other things equal: How the pistol is balanced, fits in your hand, and how tightly it is put together are, also, important considerations. Many Glock Talkers who are, also, G-30 owners believe that the reduced amount of mechanical, 'slop' and tighter slide-to frame fitting contribute strongly to the improved accuracy they get from their G-30's.

Unless you stated the Glock's frame vibrated before the Summer of 1988 I beat you to that statement.

I also call BS on being a competent pistol shot and being able to shot a short barreled, short grip compact pistol better than a full size one. Everyone that I've ever meet in person that has made that statement couldn't hit a bull in the rear with a short barreled shotgun. There's a reason why all the top Glock shooters use a full size gun, and most use a long slide version of a full size gun.

You've sent a 150,000 rounds downrange out of a Glock and have +20,000 post on GT? Sounds like you need to spend less time on GT and you rounds fired count and concentrate on your accuracy.

I have a G23 and a G35 and there's no way in heck that I can shoot the G23 better than the G35 especially at longer ranges. I bought the G35 for IPSC/USPSA matches because it was easier to make the longer shots with it over the G23.

The G23 is faster to draw and hit the first shot than the G35 in IDPA matches and I perferr it in some of the matches were the vast majority of the targets are 10yds or closer. But for shooting steel plates at 30yds or the Texas Star at 25yds I'll pick the G35 every time.

Paul

Ah, Paul, if you actually did post that remark on Glock Talk back in 1988 then, yes, you beat me to it on reporting about frame vibration. (I didn't buy my first Glock until early in 1993; so I would have had no way of knowing.) I will tell you this, though:

When I posted about the trouble I was having with a new pair of G-21's, and remarked that I strongly suspected polymer frame vibration - especially in and around the lock block - was a large part of the problem, (If you've been a regular Glock Talker then you already know what I'm going to say, next!) WalterGA and his crew of devoted followers nearly laughed and ridiculed me off the board.

So, ...... even with his constant and deep involvement in the Glock Talk forum, apparently WalterGA (Who was a member back then.) somehow missed your remark. (Are you sure you said it loud enough?) :blink:

As for your input on shooting short-barreled pistols, straight? Hey, man, you shouldn't judge everybody else by your own lack-luster standards. The man who taught me how to handle pistols used to strongly prefer using his Colt Detective Special. Sometimes he liked to have a little fun with other club members by using his short little 2" snubbie to make repeated highly accurate shots at 25 yards. Even more amazing was when he would grab a soda can off the bench, throw it downrange, and shoot it out of the air! (Very annoying to all of the rest of us!)

As, I believe, I've already indicated: I'm an old gunman. I've been shooting all different sorts of firearms for more than 60 years; (I'm certified to teach all three: rifle, pistol, and shotgun.) and during this time I've trained (probably) thousands of other shooters in how to become better with their firearms. I, myself, carried a 2 1/2" barreled S&W Model 19 for more than a decade. If I couldn't have hit well with it then I wouldn't have depended upon it to save my life should the occasion, ever, arise.

All your comments tell me about you is that you're more talk than either experience or action. (Ahh, the price one has to, sometimes, pay for spending time on anybody's internet gun forum! No hard feelings, though. I've learned to take comments like yours with a proverbial, 'grain of salt'.) :wink:

This said, I think you, too, should spend less time on internet gun forums and more time at the range. If you ever get to the point where you're finally able to simply pick up a pistol and shoot it well, then, you'll discover, something of, what I mean.

As for myself? It's never mattered - not even in the slightest - whether I was competing with a G-19, or a G-34. Neither has it ever mattered whether I was using a 45 ACP, or a 9mm pistol. Sure, some of the people I shot against would become jealous; that is, after all, just human nature! Other shooters would, also, become either surprised or annoyed when I would beat them out while using a, 'major caliber' pistol; but, the ultimate idea behind throwing a lot of lead downrange, year after year, is to develop a certain sense of mastery over the, 'tools of the trade'.

Apparently you're just not there, yet. Look at the bright side, though, perhaps someday you will be! (You'll be welcome to get back to me then and apologize for your BS remark.) :biggrin:

Thoughts on both going to local range to shoot both in a few weeks any thing to watch for or helpful tips would be great thank you for your time
A standard G30 or a G30SF? I much prefer the feel of my short frame G30SF over the standard model. Same goes for the two G21SFs that I own. I've met quite a few people who feel the same way.

The glock 30sf Is the one I'm buying myself for Xmas and a glock 42 for my wife and the 19 is going in the safe

Sent from Glocknut78's iPhone using Tapatalk

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back