Glock 21 Explodes In Deputy's Hand

foots402

:angry:WOW!!!!! Must have been the ammo.

Link Removed

Hope his injuries are not too serious.

The fact that the Cheif immediately suspected bad ammo also indicates that at least this department is led by someone who must understand firearms. Hopefully working with the manufacturers they will get to the actual facts and make all of us a bit safer.

Very scary day at the range. I witnessed a Glock 21 blow up once. It was because the shooter was firing LRN reloads. The lead residue built up in the barrel and caused excessive pressure, which in turn caused the barrel to blow. Other than some minor cuts and bruises (and possibly very dirty underwear), nobody got hurt.

I wish the officer a speedy recovery.

gf

Most likely it's still an ammo issue, but they're going to send the weapon off to have it looked at. Found this in related stories.

Link Removed

I"ve heard of this with their offerings in .40 Smith. The supposed supported chamber would casue set-back of the bullet in the casing if the rounds had been chambered more than a couple of times.

Glock of course found a convenient excuse to their existing problem, and never addressed the issue with the chamber in the .40 Smith pistols.

If this was a squib round, then why didn't the officer notice that there was no additional hole in the target or that his muzzle flip was negated by the squib round ??

Pay attention to detail folks, these things can be avoided.

Check your rounds for bullet set-back into the casing before firing the weapon.

If there appears to be this set-back, then throw out those rounds and only use once chambered rounds.

Additional note: The Chief in the video seems to have no problem with pointing the muzzle of the weapon towards the interviewer, even if it is a non-functional pistol. What's that tell ya ??? ( insert the wanker emoticon)

"(With) Glocks, you can't fire lead bullets. Not saying that's what he did, but that's one of the culprits," Monahan said."

Ummm, I wasn't aware of many other types of bullets. Certainly not aware of any instance where (arguably) the most popular firearm manufacturer would restrict the most common type of bullet from being fired.

"(With) Glocks, you can't fire lead bullets. Not saying that's what he did, but that's one of the culprits," Monahan said."

Ummm, I wasn't aware of many other types of bullets. Certainly not aware of any instance where (arguably) the most popular firearm manufacturer would restrict the most common type of bullet from being fired.

Probably referring to unjacketed soft lead bullets. I have fired them through my G20 with no issues, although not very often. Never had any problem with my .40 S&W Glocks either. I do use only factory jacketed bullets in those though.

Link Removed
Link Removed

I have seen this happen and it happened to me. Haven't seen it with a Glock, but saw a Colt 1911 Gold Cup, an S&W 4006, and a Springfield XD 40 do this same exact blow out, up at the top, near the trigger and blowing out the sides as that Glock did. It was evidently a double charge on two occassions and was with factory FMJ ammo. Except the Colt, which was a reload. The guy had way overcharged the cases with the wrong powder. The Colt lifted the slide up and off of the rails at the rear of the pistol, bulged the grips out almost breaking them in half between the grip screws, and blew the mag completely out of the gun. No damage to the shooter. The other two pistols were similar to the Glock in the video, blown out the sides and the guts of the mags blown out with the base plate. The barrels on all three guns were split at the bottom of the chamber and about halfway down the bottom of the barrel. The cartridge cases were also split along the bottom. One of the officers had minor cuts and bruises on his hand, the others had light burns and a stinging sensation for a while.
My particular blow out was with a Stainless Kahr MK40. It also blew out the same way. No injury, just some powder residue on the hands and and my hand tingled as if I had just clapped my hands together very hard. As a side note, I sent the pistol to Kahr. They checked and x-rayed the gun. No Metal defects. They even replaced the damaged parts and tested the gun before returning it to me. Thanks Kahr, Nice folks who appreciate their customers. I pulled the bullets on the remaining 12 rounds of ammo in the box of Federal Hydrashoks, but there were no irregularities in the remaining rounds or the ones fired before the big blast. SCARY!!! :eek:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back