Getting Your Concealed Carry Permit

The Gunny

Here is a question.

I am going to be applying for my permit when I get back. I am active duty military stationed in Spokane however my house in over in Stevens county. So can I go to the Spokane Police Department office and apply for it or do I have to go to Stevens Co. Sherriffs office? I work with in the Spokane City limits but due to where my house is located did not know if I would have to go to Colville to apply.

Anyone know the answer?

One State, One Permit.

To answer your question, it does not matter which county in Washington State you apply for and are granted a CC-permit, your WA State permit is good in all counties, what helps is once you settle down give your local city or county clerk a buzz to update your address which shows on the front of your permit. I doubt you will have to present at any court house, but your CC permit, just like your drivers license, should reflect your permanent digs. The clerk's office will mail you an updated card. For Spokane call 509-625-4038 M-F 9am-4pm, the court house is located at 1110 W. Mullen St., (downtown by the river-walk) if you need to show proof of residence in person, don't go there with metal that ain't legal sheeple carry: keys, coins, etc. no probs, but please leave your weapons at home if U have to show-up there! :icon_redface:
Good Luck,

Canis-Lupus :25-cool2:
Spokane's only CC timber wolf :)

Yeah just wondering since I am still active duty still have my Oregon drivers license, saves me money on sales tax. I think I should still be considered a resident due to my being stationed there. I will probably have to show my military ID and a copy of my orders. I am going to be switching my residency later on this year but holding off for now just was not sure if I had to go to the county seat of the county I have a home in or if I could do it in Spokane which is closer and easier to get to. I will give that number a call when I get stateside.

Yeah just wondering since I am still active duty still have my Oregon drivers license, saves me money on sales tax. I think I should still be considered a resident due to my being stationed there. I will probably have to show my military ID and a copy of my orders. I am going to be switching my residency later on this year but holding off for now just was not sure if I had to go to the county seat of the county I have a home in or if I could do it in Spokane which is closer and easier to get to. I will give that number a call when I get stateside.

Your residency might give you a bit of a problem. The earlier post was correct - the county in Washington doesn't matter, but I think you do have to be a Washington resident. You may have to wait awhile to establish permanent residency before you can apply.

I am also in the Military and just applied for the CC permit. I was born and raised in Michigan; however, the Army has brought me to the Yakima area. Washington favors it's military members, but still requires you to be a resident of the state. (Dont confuse the residency with whats listed on your LES, that doesnt matter) Washington State considers you a resident as long as you have lived within the state for 90 days... Thats it. Nothing further... I have no Washington drivers liscense, all my vehicles are still registered in MI, I never had to show Military ID or orders (I Was in uniform) and I had NO PROBLEMS. I was in and out of the local police station within 20 min with all paperwork / fingerprints complete. You have to go the whichever police station services your HOME ADDRESS (where you sleep at night). It doesnt matter where you work. If you live outside the city limits, then you have to go the your local county sherrifs office for the permit. If you live on base then you use your Military base zipcode for determining what police station you need to go to. Good luck, but you should'nt need it. Washington State law requires the permit to be granted to whoever asks for one. (unless you meet one of the criteria for disapproval IE: felony, domestic assault ect....) Let us know how it goes : }

Last edited:
Washington favors it's military members, but still requires you to be a resident of the state. (Dont confuse the residency with whats listed on your LES, that doesnt matter) Washington State considers you a resident as long as you have lived within the state for 90 days... Thats it. You have to go the whichever police station services your HOME ADDRESS (where you sleep at night). It doesnt matter where you work. If you live outside the city limits, then you have to go the your local county sherrifs office for the permit. If you live on base then you use your Military base zipcode for determining what police station you need to go to. Good luck, but you should'nt need it. Washington State law requires the permit to be granted to whoever asks for one. (unless you meet one of the criteria for disapproval IE: felony, domestic assault ect....) Let us know how it goes : }

Washington residency is NOT a requirement to obtain the Washington CPL.

Active duty military can apply at any LEO agency in the state as can non-Washington residents.

There is no requirement to be a Washington state resident in the state law or Washington Administrative Code (WAC)

Washington Administrative Code (WAC) allows an active duty military member to apply for their CPL at any LEO Agency in the state.

Here's the simple breakdown of the requirements:
Link Removed

Requirements: Concealed pistol license
What requirements must I meet to get a license?
You must meet all of the following requirements:

21 years of age or older at time of application.
United States citizen.
No pending trial, appeal, or sentencing on a charge that would prohibit you from having a license.
No outstanding warrants for any charge, from any court.
No court order or injunction against possessing a firearm.
No mental health conditions that would prohibit you from having a license.
No felony convictions.
No convictions for any of the following crimes committed by one family member against another on or after July 1, 1993:
Assault IV
Coercion
Stalking
Reckless Endangerment
Criminal Trespass in the first degree
Violation of the provisions of a protection order or no-contact order restraining the person or excluding the person from the residence

Where do I apply for a concealed pistol license?
You may complete an application form at one of the following law enforcement offices:

If you live in the unincorporated area of a county you must apply in person at your sheriff’s office.
If you live in an incorporated city within the county, you may apply in person at either the city police department or sheriff’s office.
If you are not a Washington State resident, you may apply at any local law enforcement agency in Washington.

What documents will I need to bring with me?
You will need to bring the following:

Picture identification such as a Washington State driver license or identification card. If you don’t have a Washington State driver license or identification card, you must provide proof you have lived in the state for at least the last 90 days.
The $55.25 fee in cash, check, or money order made payable to the law enforcement agency. This fee is non-refundable.
If you are in the military, your military ID and orders listing your station location.

Is there a background check?
Yes, you will need to be fingerprinted and have a criminal history background check before you can be issued a license. Please see Frequently asked questions for more information about licensing requirements.

Does Washington have reciprocity for concealed pistol licenses with any other states?
Washington accepts concealed pistol licenses issued by a number of other states, as long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law. The Washington State Attorney General's website provides a list of states that have reciprocity with Washington for concealed pistol licenses.

Last edited:
I am active duty military and a washington state resident (home of record and license) but i am stationed overseas. Do i have to be present to apply and receive a CWP? If I must be present can I submit the paperwork and then make an appointment at a local LEO for when I am back visiting?

You must apply, in person, for the whole process. No part of the application is allowed to be mail-in. The whole thing takes about 10 minutes, but different LEO agencies will have different hours that they process applications, so call ahead to make sure they accept applications during the time frame you desire. Active duty military can apply at any LEO agency.

NAVYLT,

Oh well guess i will have to get one next time I am in town. Thanks for the info. What other states do you recommend i get as well to cover the most range?

NAVYLT,

Oh well guess i will have to get one next time I am in town. Thanks for the info. What other states do you recommend i get as well to cover the most range?

I haven't done the out of state permit thing, but, from what I have read, Utah and Florida seem to be good choices.

Residents must apply to the County Sheriff in which they reside, unless they live in an incorporated city and then one can apply to the local PD. Appears to be nothing clear under the law whether a city dweller must apply to the local PD or whether the County Sheriff is an option. I know city dwellers who've applied to their County Sheriff, no problem.

Non-residents can apply to any local PD or County Sheriff, but not all will accept non-resident apps. It's not legal for them to do this, but it still happens.

If you are a non-resident of Wa grab a UT permit while you are at it. It has formal reprosity (sp?) with Washington state plus 28 others. (That number in in-flux with current Nevada decisions)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back