General Update

spwenger

Arizona State Admin
Arizona currently issues a five-year concealed weapon permit, for a fee of $65.00. Unless you qualify for the one-time LEO exemption, you must take an approved training course, within the state of Arizona, which must be a minimum of eight hours in length. Arizona no longer requires renewal training and, effective January 1, 2008, will no longer require fingerprints with renewal applications. Initial application forms are provided by the approved training organizations, at course time. Those seeking the LEO training exemption can request a packet from the CWP Unit. Renewal applications are mailed to permitees so it is important to comply with the requirement to report any changes in name or address within 10 days, as required. The Arizona CWP does not include a photograph so permitees must carry another government-issued ID, with a photo, when carrying concealed.

Arizona currently recognizes all other states' permits, so long as:
  • The permit is recognized as valid in the issuing state.
  • The holder is not an Arizona resident.
  • The holder is legally present in Arizona.
  • The holder is not legally prohibited from possessing a firearm in Arizona.
Arizona is also an open carry state, with no permit required. Be aware that, by statute, Arizona prohibits firearms in commercial establishments licensed to serve alcohol for consumption on the premises.

The current director of Arizona DPS decided to "civilianize" the CWPU and, to my knowledge, the two original "civilian" coordinators and the original "civilian" supervisor have all left the unit. I suspect that this means that the CWPU may not currently be firing on all cylinders although I have heard no complaints about the timeliness of processing applications. My concern is that the unit may not have the best resources to answer questions.

While I have no official relationship to Arizona DPS, other than being an authorized instructor, I will be happy to try to answer any questions.

Thanks for the info! We're working on gathering and confirming information for each site and this will definitely help.

Fee Changes

FYI, the fee dropped to $60 effective Oct. 1, 2007. Also, the fee for renewals will drop to $43 on Dec. 31, 2007. See Link Removed for details.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back