Gas or Charcoal?

Gas or Charcoal?

• Charcoal

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Gas

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Charcoal, want to buy a half and half grill though.

I do both. A high quality gas grill does a good job on steaks, hamburgs and hotdogs. Charcoal is my preference for chicken, pork, briskets and all ribs. But I am not a purist and sometimes take shortcuts with gas. At my house, though, smoking requires charcoal to toast the wet wood that creates smoke. I like hickory, but Texicans seem to like mesquite.

None of the above. Mesquite, apple, cherry, hickory or maple, depending on the meat and the seasonings. I've been known to cook with oak while camping, but don't prefer it. On very very rare occasion I'll throw a bit of charcoal on with some mesquite, but usually only if I'm about to run out of wood.

Yeah, using wood it makes it harder to keep a steady temp for ribs for the 5-10 hours they're on there, but it's so very worth it.

I use either one depending on what I am cooking! I am thinking about getting a "Big Green Egg" Anyone have experience with one?

Well, at the risk of this thread being trolled, by Bloombergs lackeys.
I use gas in my Propane Grill, Charcoal in my Weber Kettle, and Hickory Wood in my New Brumfields Smoker. Wet soaked Hickory Chips in all of them as needed.
Charcoal doesn't work to well in my Propane Grill, LP doesn't work so good in my Weber or Smoker.

Well, at the risk of this thread being trolled, by Bloombergs lackeys.
I use gas in my Propane Grill, Charcoal in my Weber Kettle, and Hickory Wood in my New Brumfields Smoker. Wet soaked Hickory Chips in all of them as needed.
Charcoal doesn't work to well in my Propane Grill, LP doesn't work so good in my Weber or Smoker.

As long as you don't have a 17 ounce soda Bloomie shouldn't care

As long as you don't have a 17 ounce soda Bloomie shouldn't care

I wonder how long it will be before some do good-er will try and ban Charcoal fires or outdoor cooking or meat, or make you store your Propane in a blast proof bunker or some other such nonsense.

I wonder how long it will be before some do good-er will try and ban Charcoal fires or outdoor cooking or meat, or make you store your Propane in a blast proof bunker or some other such nonsense.

Don't give the loons any ideas!!!!!!!

I use Hickory off my own tree in an offset smoker/grill........ Nothing compares for me, had webers and gas grills before, but real wood with natural sap in it (green) gives the best flavor in my experience...

Where do I vote for Neither? Mesquite! Well I guess if I had to choose I would go with propane. No muss no fuss.

Charcoal. Rain sleet snow or shine. 364 days a year. And the one day of the year I deep fry a turkey.

I have one of those ceramic Big Green Eggs you are refering to. I use only real lump charcoal in it. Light it with an electric starter. You can control the heat very easy with the vents. It is not a true smoker however it works great. I have a digital meat thermometer that I use in it rather than the cheap one they supply and can get the temp down to around 185-225 for eight hours or more for slow cooking without having to add charcoal. You do need to watch it and make SMALL adjustments when you need them. I find it best to char my steaks and then put a cheap foil roasting pan in to finish off checking the meat temp often with my digital therm. I will get a 2.5 inch thick porterhouse and char and then cook vertically on the bone for 25 mins and it turns out great with no pan underneath. Perfect every time. Not a cheap unit but if you are serious they work well. Buy the larger oval model. The round one is a bit small for larger cook-outs. Get spare bottom grids. They can fracture easiliy at the most inopertune time. This is NOT a portable grill as they weigh over a hundred pounds.

Thanks Panheadzz. Even though it is not a true smoker I guess it does that job well since you can keep the temp low for a long time. If I do get it I am looking forward to making Pizza in it.

Slow cooking ribs is one of the items I enjoy doing. What I have done is apply the marinade or rub generously and wrap the whole rack and seal in aluminum foil. Keeps the moisture locked in. I will then get the temp to under 225 and slow cook for 4-6 hrs. After this I will finish with cooking on raised temp directly on grill adding fresh marinade to give color and taste. Damn, getting hungry just typing about it. You can stack racks on top of each other just be careful not to puncture the foil. I do not pre-cook anything this way. I have not done pizza as I have had mine a long time. These options weren't availible when I got mine. I have heard it works quite well for pizza. You can get the temp well over 800 if you want but be careful you may crack the ceramic. I believe you should break them in with heat and cool cycles for a bit before getting them REAL hot.

Slow cooking ribs is one of the items I enjoy doing. What I have done is apply the marinade or rub generously and wrap the whole rack and seal in aluminum foil. Keeps the moisture locked in. I will then get the temp to under 225 and slow cook for 4-6 hrs. After this I will finish with cooking on raised temp directly on grill adding fresh marinade to give color and taste.

This is exactly my procedure for ribs, with the exception that I use wood instead of charcoal, and if they're really fatty, I'll sometimes intentionally punture the top of the foil. They still slide right off the bone when they're done though.

The BBQ Forum has been idle far too long. Do you use gas or charcoal?

Personally I only have charcoal capability, but thinking about picking up my first gas grill in about 10 years, to burn dogs and burgers a little faster.

Quick and easy, use my gas grill.

If I want them done right, I use my charcoal. :biggrin:

The BBQ Forum has been idle far too long. Do you use gas or charcoal?

Personally I only have charcoal capability, but thinking about picking up my first gas grill in about 10 years, to burn dogs and burgers a little faster.

There is one other advantage to charcoal... in case you are camping out and it's cold. Dig a trench and put the hot coals in them... put dirt back over the coals... lay your bed roll over the dirt and then your sleeping bag. You'll be toasty all night. Can't do that with gas.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back