Future of Concealed Carry

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
CARTERVILLE -- Voters in several Illinois communities voted overwhelmingly last night in support of concealed carry legislation. The advisory referendum won't change any laws, but it will send a message to lawmakers. The measure passed in 10 of 14 counties where it was considered. In our region Jefferson, Franklin, Union and Saline counties said "yes." Illinois is one of only two states in the country without concealed carry legislation. Every state legislator from our area is an outspoken supporter of concealed carry, but they admit there's a problem. And that's the biggest city in the state.

Don Gunnell is what you'd call a gun expert. As a retired police officer of 40 years he's allowed to carry a concealed weapon. He says it helps him feel safe and he'd like the same for everyone.

"I am for concealed carry, again with the stipulation that they do have the training before hand," said Gunnell.

Gunnell says proper training is a must, otherwise there could be uneasiness with firearms. Gunnell says gun clubs like the one in Williamson County provide that training. Proponents of concealed carry hope the recent success of the referendum in 10 Illinois counties will send a message to lawmakers in Springfield. But State Senator Gary Forby says lawmakers in Chicago should be the real target.

"Well they're a big road block, they've always been a road block because they've got 65 percent of the votes in Chicago," said Forby.

Forby says every legislator south of Interstate 80 supports some type of concealed carry legislation. But every year lawmakers from Chicago get in the way.

"If Chicago don't like guns, that's fine, just leave us alone and let us have ours," said Forby.

Forby says one option may be to allow concealed carry for everywhere but Chicago. Gunnell spent 30 years as a cop in Chicago, and he doesn't like that idea.

"So all the bad guys can go to Chicago and do their thing, no," said Gunnell.

Forby says the General Assembly has tried to pass concealed carry every year and failed. But passing this referendum in 10 counties will help the cause.

By Ryan Kruger
[email protected]
Source: Link Removed

Many people in the city of Chicago want and do own hand guns. It is up the groups like the NRA and the ISRA to make thier case to the people of the city of Chicago, and gain their support as they do down state.

Illinois is one of only two states in the country without concealed carry legislation.

Let me guess what the other one is......Would it be NJ...? Where you can't even carry a pointed stick to protect yourself! Even Licensed Hunters have problems in that God forsaken state.

Let me guess what the other one is......Would it be NJ...? Where you can't even carry a pointed stick to protect yourself! Even Licensed Hunters have problems in that God forsaken state.

Sorry, Nick. The dis-honour goes to Wisconsin. A place labeled as "Right Denied". New Jersey is listed as a "May Issue" state. This means that you could throw enough money into the NJ system and actually get a carry permit.

The prominent threat is, perhaps, at the national level. President-Elect Obama does not approve of individual concealed carry at all, period. How this will find its way into legislation is the question, not so much IF. The only IF is that if Americans fight this, there is a chance of winning. Otherwise, we will go the way of Australia, Great Britain, etc. It will be illegal to carry a firearm, even with a permit or license for your state. I suspect self-defense will be permitted, or tolerated at home, but that is about it. Some perceptive journalists have already stated that if we have a standing national security force, private gun ownership will be all but impossible. IF that were to happen, there is little likelihood of ever going back. We may well get to see just how many vertebrate Americans we have in our republic.:victory:

Lukem, I am sorry for you.
I just left Des Plaines,IL.60018,after living there for 5 years,because of a job.
I hated it there,and could not wait,to get out of the mid-west,and the Depressive laws,of Mayer Daley
who apparently runs the whole state with all that corruption,and anti-gun laws,and all those
extra taxes,like city stickers,on the car window($50/year)per car,on top of lic. plate tag($80/Yr.).
And how Mayer Daley has a law,if you live in the actual city of Chicago,you can't even own or have a gun.
I thank god,I got out of there and live in Washington State,and got my concealed weapons permit
within two weeks,after applying. And guess what??? Obama is from Chicago!!! Guess whats going to
happen with the gun laws now.

Last edited:
Sorry, Nick. The dis-honour goes to Wisconsin. A place labeled as "Right Denied". New Jersey is listed as a "May Issue" state. This means that you could throw enough money into the NJ system and actually get a carry permit.

Actually, Nick is halfway right. Even though PRNJ is may issue on paper, it is, in reality, a no issue state. But yes, the only two states that do not allow concealed carry statutorily are WI and IL. As for de facto no issue states, you can add PRHI, PRNJ, PRMD, and PRNYC to that list.

Actually, Nick is halfway right. Even though PRNJ is may issue on paper, it is, in reality, a no issue state. But yes, the only two states that do not allow concealed carry statutorily are WI and IL. As for de facto no issue states, you can add PRHI, PRNJ, PRMD, and PRNYC to that list.

Right, Tatt. But "May Issue" in NJ and NYC really means "If you pay the right guy enough $$$$".

Funny thing is that if you have a client that will pay enough, you can actually get a short term CC permit in PRHI and PRMD. I worked a case back in '06 where I was issued a CC permit for 2 weeks while working a protective detail for a very wealthy client from an Asian country. It wasn't here in Honolulu. From what I understand, the cost was $5k or so, not sure who the money went to, but there were 2 permits issued, one for me and one for my partner.

I worked for another client in PRMD. This client was a tourist from an unspecified Arab nation. The client's American attorney negotiated the deal. I was required to submit a bunch of documentation to the attorney who forwarded the info to the issuing authority in MD. Upon arrival in MD, I was finger printed again, photographed and the permit was issued for the moth that the job lasted.

What I don't understand is if I was issued the permit back then, why the county wouldn't issue me one on my own. :confused: It's as if the island got safer once my client was safely on the airplane and leaving the state.

I hope that the new President (whoever it may be) will not mess with the current CC laws. This could turn into a huge mess with a bunch of states getting into a p***ing contest with the feds about infringing on the individual state's rights. :eek:

gf

Oh, Glockie, you are KILLING me!

So you mean to tell me that, while the average U.S. CITIZEN can not be legally protected, rich foreign tourists can? Wow. Just...... wow.:help:

So you mean to tell me that, while the average U.S. CITIZEN can not be legally protected, rich foreign tourists can? Wow. Just...... wow.:help:

Well, this IS the state that Rod Blagojevich is governor of. Are you surprised? Backwards laws like this exist in all of the people's republics.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back