Fundementals...Trigger Pull

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
Try this trick next time you are handling your rifle...
Balance a coin across the barrel (laying flat not standing the coin on edge)
Slowly squeeze the trigger.
The coin should stay put.
If it did not are you jerking the trigger? Flinching? Reacting adversely to recoil that is not there?

Work on this and you will see your standing unsupport shot groups start to close up.

Also if you have someone else load the rounds in an unknow number and do this it helps. I had to do this because I was more focused on the coin when dryfiring.

I occasionally slip in a dead primer 'Dummy' (Light a match to the primer, once it's 'Spent' load it with NO POWDER) and loaded with a regular bullet...

Slip a couple of dummies into your regular practice ammo at random.
A plastic bag or can with your practice rounds in it works good to mix things up so you don't know WHICH rounds are the 'Dummies'...
It's a REAL surprise when you hit that dead round and you can evaluate your fundamentals.

Also, if you have someone around, have them load a 'Snap Cap' in with the regular bullets in a magazine fed firearm.. that will also be a REAL surprise when it catches up with you!

I use a cheap laser insert in the chamber, one of those cheap bore sighting lasers shaped like a cartridge and watch my grip/trigger pull as the dot moves around on the target during the firing cycle...
That's ALWAYS an eye opener how much that rifle moves around when you are firing!

Great tip - I ran across this on another forum, and it really does help! Keep stacking up pennies to really control your pull!

My oldest brother clued me in to both the empty chamber and the coin method years ago. The empty chamber of course to be tried on a firing range and the coin on the barrel can be practiced while dry firing. Both are good to remember and practice. Thanks guys.

I'd rather just dia inl on my scope and squeeze the triggera :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:few times.

I'lll know If I'm on target or not.

Good way to waste ammo and not figure out what the issues are.

With red dot and hollowgrapics you have no other choice than to shoot at paper, off sandbags, rest etc.

Negate the use of the iron sights and dial in the red dot/hollowgraphic to it's most true zero of POA/POI impact.

Trigger squeeze is easy, not pull.

I'd rather just dia inl on my scope and squeeze the triggera :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:few times.

I'lll know If I'm on target or not.

Good way to waste ammo and not figure out what the issues are.

Now we know why the shot-to-kill rate has been so high. Apparently the Army is still teaching "Spray N Pray" instead of Marksmanship.

Now we know why the shot-to-kill rate has been so high. Apparently the Army is still teaching "Spray N Pray" instead of Marksmanship.

There is no such thing as the spray and pray method, unless your into recripcating what you've seen in the movies. Maybe in the day's of the VN war, but lessons learned with the carbine have negated any use of full auto unless your the only one left to break contact and your SAW and 240 are down. Rare, but not impossible.

My comment was meant to be sarcastic, not taken literally. Sometimes these posts border on over complicating on what is essentially simple. See ARHAMMER in just about every post.

Any exercise that forces that shooter to squeeze, ignite and place bullets in tight groups is necessary for ones overall improvement in shot placement. No surprise there. If this particular exercise aids one in his or her shooting prowess, then by all means use it.

If you don't know what the Army is teaching, then please don't comment unless you've trained, trained with or been to a higher markmenship training cycle with the branch.

Ropeadope, I live right outside Camp Rudder. I see "soldiers" with "marksmanship" badges regularly. When a soldier gets qualifying points for hitting a target with a ROCK, I say they aren't teaching marksmanship.

Put your troops with open sights on a KD course with targets at 200, 300 and 500 yards. Teach them to shoot and qualify them there, THEN put them on Combat Simulations.

Ropeadope, I live right outside Camp Rudder. I see "soldiers" with "marksmanship" badges regularly. When a soldier gets qualifying points for hitting a target with a ROCK, I say they aren't teaching marksmanship.

Put your troops with open sights on a KD course with targets at 200, 300 and 500 yards. Teach them to shoot and qualify them there, THEN put them on Combat Simulations.

I've spent the majority of my adult life in the U.S. Army. You think Camp James E. Rudder has passed me by somehow ? I don't think so.

Trust me, what ever you can think of, my Teams, platoons and companies have Been there and done that.

Your not impressing me by throwing out drills that have been repeated day in and day out for years. IN my case, since 1982.

Maybe, just maybe I've seen a long range or two? a shoothouse? a MOUT op ? Maybe even a sniper course, SOTIC maybe ?

I don't care about "Marksmenship" badges, they prove nothing but that the soldier has met a standard, generally speaking in the prone posistion, not on the move, nor in a shoothouse, nor out to 800 meters +

What you suggested is and has been done, long before this war in both theaters was ever dreamed of.

I've spent the majority of my adult life in the U.S. Army. You think Camp James E. Rudder has passed me by somehow ? I don't think so.

Trust me, what ever you can think of, my Teams, platoons and companies have Been there and done that.

Your not impressing me by throwing out drills that have been repeated day in and day out for years. IN my case, since 1982.

Maybe, just maybe I've seen a long range or two? a shoothouse? a MOUT op ? Maybe even a sniper course, SOTIC maybe ?

I don't care about "Marksmenship" badges, they prove nothing but that the soldier has met a standard, generally speaking in the prone posistion, not on the move, nor in a shoothouse, nor out to 800 meters +

What you suggested is and has been done, long before this war in both theaters was ever dreamed of.

I'm so proud of you. Thank you for your service. I didn't mention Camp Rudder to impress you, just to let you know I don't live someplace where I'd never meet soldiers.

Your service and background are not and were not the subject of discussion here. The topic involves techniques for those with lesser rifle skills and experience to learn to shoot better. Your nonchalant I-prefer-to-pull-the-trigger-and-see-what-happens attitude did not contribute to that. Since it also reflects the attitude of many of the soldiers I've met, I thought you were serious and suggested the Army should adopt actual marksmanship training at an earlier stage in training.

I'm so proud of you. Thank you for your service. I didn't mention Camp Rudder to impress you, just to let you know I don't live someplace where I'd never meet soldiers.

Your service and background are not and were not the subject of discussion here. The topic involves techniques for those with lesser rifle skills and experience to learn to shoot better. Your nonchalant I-prefer-to-pull-the-trigger-and-see-what-happens attitude did not contribute to that. Since it also reflects the attitude of many of the soldiers I've met, I thought you were serious and suggested the Army should adopt actual marksmanship training at an earlier stage in training.

In recent years, yes the marksmenship training at the BCT level has improved. A result of the current wars and lessons learned on the ground. The Army has alway's fell behind in basic marksmenship at the entry level vs what Marine Corps recruits recive at PI. This however is not the case, in my humble opinion, anymore.

At the end of the day I would rather be training soldiers with live pops than dry fireing. That's just me.

Thanks for the clarification.

In recent years, yes the marksmenship training at the BCT level has improved. A result of the current wars and lessons learned on the ground. The Army has alway's fell behind in basic marksmenship at the entry level vs what Marine Corps recruits recive at PI. This however is not the case, in my humble opinion, anymore.

At the end of the day I would rather be training soldiers with live pops than dry fireing. That's just me.

Thanks for the clarification.

We're good then. I loved training with live pops after the basic skills have been learned.
Some here have the training to make 800 -1000 yard shots or be involved in EITHER side of a house-to-house, others have only attended the requisite course for their CCW. Many fall between these points. It is my opinion that threads like this, and those under the Survival topic are intended to give the less experienced tips on how they can improve.

We're good then. I loved training with live pops after the basic skills have been learned.
Some here have the training to make 800 -1000 yard shots or be involved in EITHER side of a house-to-house, others have only attended the requisite course for their CCW. Many fall between these points. It is my opinion that threads like this, and those under the Survival topic are intended to give the less experienced tips on how they can improve.

This is off topic, but I noticed your signature.

I'm currently reading Ayn Rands "Atlas Shrugged" Long read, but worth it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back