full sized handguns for concealed carry

jg1967

Recently read an article in a gun magazine, the author pointed out that in his opinion that makes more sense than carrying a teeny tiny gun with almost no sights and very limited ammo. His opinion was that it makes more sense to bring a full sized reliable gun with enough capacity and be able to use it effectively than a mousegun and just hope for the best.

His line of reasoning was that with a little bit of effort, full sized guns are quite concealable under some sort of cover garment.

I've heard a few sources recommending carrying the biggest gun you can safely shoot. For accuracy and round capacity. I'm 6'8" I can conceal my 5"1911 in my pocket. :)

It took me 3 years of research to develop my carry philosophy, which included making sure my rationale was sound, and choice of weapon. My only carry weapon is an XD(m) 40 3.8 Compact. It conceals nicely with a super tuck IWB. It provides stopping power, ammo capacity, safety.

I carry a colt combat commander and 40 rounds of ammo year round including shorts and flower print shirt in summer no problem.

I generally carry an XD9sc loaded with the smaller 13 round mag for conceal-ability and carry 1 or 2 extended mags for additional firepower if needed. But there are times when a smaller pistol is required. My goal is to blend in as bets as possible. I feel safer being part of the background. For these times I'll opt for my CM9 or even my LCP.

Since I have no problem concealing a full size pistol (even in the summer) and don't find it uncomfortable, I don't see any point in carrying something smaller. I shoot the full size better, I can easily mount a light on it and I can carry much more ammo in the gun. So I carry a full-size M&P9 with a TLR-1 IWB at all times (except showering and sleeping). It just makes sense to me.

I remember our CCW instructor, who was kind of a little guy, successfully concealed an FN 5.7 with a silencer in a shoulder holster. He went almost to the end of the 3hr class before revealing it. Quite effective when you consider that I sat 3 feet away from him and spent much of the class looking for a concealed weapon on him (I figured being a CC instructor he had to have something on him). Of course he had to wear an overshirt to do it.....something I'm not crazy about doing in the heat and humidity of S. Florida. I do that in Jan/Feb (and CC my HK2000 in a Fobus) when it's cooler and comfortable.

On Friday I took all 3 of my pocket guns to the range. I was very happy with the results of my double-taps at 15-25 feet. Sure, it would be nice to be armed with one of my larger pistols but I'm not willing to be sweaty and miserable all the time just to do so. I'm confident I can accomplish my goal of defending myself* if I ever need to.

* Note: "Defending myself" means to extract myself (and possibly family/friends) from a dangerous situation. It does not mean engage in a running gun battle with with BGs.

I've heard a few sources recommending carrying the biggest gun you can safely shoot. For accuracy and round capacity. I'm 6'8" I can conceal my 5"1911 in my pocket. :)

I am not 6'8'', I am 6' and 275. I have been considering an FNH FNP .45 for the simple fact of 15 rounds and well... It's a .45!:thank_you2:
Need I say more?

Recently read an article in a gun magazine, the author pointed out that in his opinion that makes more sense than carrying a teeny tiny gun with almost no sights and very limited ammo. His opinion was that it makes more sense to bring a full sized reliable gun with enough capacity and be able to use it effectively than a mousegun and just hope for the best.

His line of reasoning was that with a little bit of effort, full sized guns are quite concealable under some sort of cover garment.

Most of us would love to be employed so as to choose our "cover garments" that would allow CC of a more effective handgun, but not everyone is so lucky. True, holsters like the Super Tuck will allow tucked in CCW, but when you bend over in the course of the day in front of customers, bosses, etc it is a bit chancy IMHO, depending on your job. There is still a bulge in the belt with clips (unless you opt for the velcro belt/clip option) but the bulge is still present.

Having said that, I carried a mid sized glock for years with a tucked in polo shirt at a former employ, but they were CCW friendly. I guess maybe I'm starting to think there are only a few out there, actually, that cannot hide a more useful gun. Me thinks I agree that there are ways to carry a mid to full sized handgun for most people. Not all, like hospital workers, etc, but for a good many there are options.

I always carry a full size service pistol. It is what I have. It is what I am used to and it is what I have practiced and trained with. That said a good pancake holster and an overshirt that is intentionally loose fitting fill the bill nicely. I prefer a cape back type outfitters shirt here in Northwest Florida. I blend right in to the indiginous populace and blending is good.

During winter, when my husband is not looking:biggrin:, I carry his 1911 with me when we both go out together. So far I haven't been caught yet. It is actually easy to OWB it and cover it with a coat.

I agree with this as well as I personally carry my full size Glock 21 in 45Acp Caliber, and two extra Mags with no one being aware or recieving any strange looks.

I carry a full size 1911 in a crossbreed supertuck, I have no problem concealing it and its very comfortable. I also carry two extra magazines. In my opinion you will get better results with a larger caliber weapon.

I see their point and it makes sense at times I carry my full sized weapon I really don't care if it prints Ill wear a t shirt and a button down over it and im on my way Im just cautious if the wind blows not to have it in plain view

Guess ill weigh in as I have before on this. The tactical advantages of full size vs. subcompact or mouse guns are enormous. The inconveniences of carrying full size are, comparatively, negligible. I carry a Glock 22 in a Crossbreed Supertuck, and two spare mags.

But that's me. I'd rather a guy or gal carry SOMETHING, than nothing! If full size isn't for you, it isn't for you. Carry on!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back