Front Sight Training Institute

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
From Nevada Carry:

This past weekend I took the 2-Day Defensive Handgun course at Front Sight. I must say that was one of the best decisions I've made. The training was great. I'll be going into much more detail in a review I'm working on. I'm hoping to have it finished by the end of the week.

http://www.frontsight.com

Since I had already enrolled in a 4 Day Defensive Handgun class as well I decided to wait and do the review until after. Well I just got back and I'm glad I waited. Although the 2 Day class was fantastic, the 4 Day class was even better. It included presenting and firing from concealment, night shoots, clearing rooms, and more. Stay tuned for a review!

Well I've finished the review. I'm still waiting for someone else to proofread it before linking it on the front page.

http://www.nevadacarry.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=42

I snagged one of their free course certificates in exchange for posting links to their site ( http://www.frontsight.com/1.asp )
Looking at doing the 4-day defensive handgun, probably next spring. I'm already excited. Smiley

You'll definitely enjoy it Joe. I'm planning out the next course I'll be going to.

Seems like it! I canceled my Empty Hand Defense class I had scheduled at Front Sight last weekend. I think it was worth it to get this site off the ground though!

I'm planning on making a 4-Day class soon as well.

I purchased a training certificate at Frontsight as well

I'm torn between the 4 day shotgun and the 4 day handgun. While the shotgun is the most intimidating defensive weapon and can stop fights before they even happen, I carry a Sig P239 (or one of my .45's - an XD ACP or Sig P220) on my CCW and I think I'm going to go for pistol course. I've read John Farnam's Defensive Rifle & Shotgun book (excellent!) and am halfway through his Defensive handgun book and I'm still not sure which course I should choose. Any suggestions?

In my opinion, if you carry a pistol everyday and haven't had any training with it then go for the pistol course. I really want to take the shotgun course as well but decided I wanted to do the pistol courses first since that is what I carry everyday. I do have a Mossberg 500 next to my bed but honestly since I've had more training with the pistol, I might have to grab that first.

I agree with the advice to get some pistol training first. If you are carrying it on a regular basis, then you should get the skill set to use your tool properly.

I agree

I got my CCW from Joe Nizarri and Line of Fire and he did an excellent job both in the class and on the range, but you're right, I have my pistol with me most of the time and the shotgun (obviously) only when at home. Good thing about a shotgun for home defense is the minimal risk of penetration into a neighbors house (unless you use a slug). But I believe that if any gun will ever save the life of my family or I, it would be my XD .45 ACP. I just put the TLR-1 LED light from Streamlight on it and it's excellent. Thanks for the input.

Joe ROCKS!

I got my CCW from Joe Nizarri and Line of Fire and he did an excellent job both in the class and on the range, but you're right, I have my pistol with me most of the time and the shotgun (obviously) only when at home. Good thing about a shotgun for home defense is the minimal risk of penetration into a neighbors house (unless you use a slug). But I believe that if any gun will ever save the life of my family or I, it would be my XD .45 ACP. I just put the TLR-1 LED light from Streamlight on it and it's excellent. Thanks for the input.

I hear excellent things about Joe and his classes. I plan on taking training from him at some point in the near future.

I just picked up a TLR-1 as well. A very handy addition to the house gun! :cool:

My 4Day handgun class was roughly 30-40 people with 4-6 instructors at one time. And then my 2Day Skill builder was more like 20 people with 3-4 instructors.

My 4Day handgun class was roughly 30-40 people with 4-6 instructors at one time. And then my 2Day Skill builder was more like 20 people with 3-4 instructors.

WOW!!! I have never been to a class where it was less than 4 or 5 to one. Thats a lot of people per instructor.

I will find a different place to spend my money.

It wasn't that bad. They put everyone together with another student to use the student/coach method and then the instructors worked with the relay that was on the line. So when I say 30-40 it would be only 15-20 people on the line with the instructors. The coaches stand behind helping out. It seemed to be a good system to be and I didn't feel like I was neglected. I actually felt like I got really good personal instruction from them.

Costs

I checked on the costs of the classes and they seem pretty high. Why wouldn't I want to hire the instructor at my club for $25/hr?

I recently signed up with the GOA for a life membership and received a free 2 day training cert for Front Sight. I'm looking forward to taking a class in the next year or two.

Link Removed

front site 4 day defense course

I too have a certificate for the 4 day pistol course,and was wondering what the charges are for ammo ,i belive some 5-600 rnds used and what other expenses one can expect,also is there a motel to stay at close by,i understand it is an hgour out of las vegas, also the overall impression as to the quality of the course and how much skills improved,Scott

There is a $50 background check fee. As for ammo, you will do better by bringing your own ammo, that's what I do. There are some hotels you can stay that are closer than Vegas for probably $30-50 a night or so. And then you have your food expenses.

I personally thought the quality was top notch and I had a dramtic improvement in confidence and skills since going.

front site 4 day defense course

Thanks much for the info,the reason i asked about ammo,is the possibility of flying in,one can ship the gun w/you but not that moch ammo,also is the course very physically demanding?,i don't much care for playing rambo,being older and retired,scott

Thanks much for the info,the reason i asked about ammo,is the possibility of flying in,one can ship the gun w/you but not that moch ammo,also is the course very physically demanding?,i don't much care for playing rambo,being older and retired,scott

Order your ammo on the internet and have it shipped to Front Site. They are set up for doing that.
The course should not be all that physically demanding, but the days are long.
Staying in Phraump is probably the best, Front site is about 20 minutes from there.

spc

You can search various auction sites and they will have 2day/4day Front Sight certificates.

Typical certificate allows you to take a 4 day pistol, rifle or shotgun course or allows you & a friend to take a 2 day pistol, rifle or shotgun course for free.

Average price for a certificate on eBay is around $100.

4-day defense course

SPC & QUIET,I thank you and all for the courtesy of a reply,good info,i get ammo mans e-mail on ammo and that would set up nice w/sending to front site,as their price includes shipping in U.S.A.some bkgrnd on myself,72 yrs of age,fairly good health,retired,Fla carry permit,in the process of selling house in northern wisc.& moving to Fla.have been reloading some 45 yrs.,and at one time had a FFL liscense for selling my handloaded ammo,custom defense stuff( one shot in 357S&W, 3 rounds like miniture tuna cans 60 gr each hit a target at 15 yrds w/a 12-18in spread,did that for awhile in 44 rem mag 357 & was working on 9mm(i no longer sell to public or private),did a lot of pistol shooting over the yrs and ended up w/some $5,000 worth of equipment and even poured my own bullets,but last time on the range down there shocked myself on how much skills lost so I felt the need for frontsites course,and i have a number of certificates earned thru web site refferal to front site,i carry when in Fla.i get their e-mails all the time and wanted an idea on the quality from a student of how close their claims to the truth,once again thanks,Scott

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back