From Oregon to Florida and Back

hlaskin

I have concealed weapons permit from the State of Oregon.
I am driving through the following states and do not want any problems because of the weapon.
California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana,Missisipi, Alabama and finally Florida.

Could anyone tell me where my Oregon permit is excepted for carrying a concealed weapon?

Also, if there is no reciptory agreements with Oregon, what is the best way for me to keep my weapon in the vehicle and if stopped by the police, that I meet all of the necessary requirements.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. This is my first trip with the weapon and do not want any problems.

Hank

You'll find all kinds of good info here at USA Carry. Go back to the main page, click on CCW Recip Maps in the upper left corner, and then pick your state.

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

Permit Honored:
Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont
Permit Not Honored:
Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia

Looks like AZ is the only state that honors your OR permit.

Click on the Info by State, directly below the Recip Maps for the requirements in the rest of the states.

Concealed Firearm Permit Information By State

Welcome to the forum! It's good to see another fellow Oregonian CHL holder. Here's to a safe trip!

Greetings from Bend, Or

Thank you for your warm welcome.

I have started my trip and am a little concerned about what I should do with my weapon in states that do not honor Oregon concealed weapons permit.

What I have done, is remove the clip, no bullet in chamber and have the safety locked. Am I suppose to have the weapon in plain view so that it is not concealed? I would not want a police officer get nervous and I want to do the right thing.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Hank:sarcastic:

careful

you need to be careful, because the only "legal" method of transport that applies to all states is to have the gun and ammo separate and locked in a container "out of reach" of the occupants of a vehical.
Some states (like NC) are "open carry" and you can carry loaded in a car as long as the firearm is in "plain view". This more of an exception than the rule and every state is different.
** I am not a lawyer and did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night**

Your unloaded handgun and ammo locked in the trunk of a car, or if in a vehicle without a trunk, your unloaded handgun and ammo locked in a case inside the passenger compartment will get you safely through all the states you will be traveling in:

Federal law, 18 USC 926a which overrides states' laws:

Link Removed

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

I'd get your Florida license now you will be good through most of the US. If you can manage it, I do encourage you to get a Utah as well as backup.

The problem with OR is that there's no recognition or reciprocity at all so it's not honored in many States.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back