From Maine to N.C.

JasonM0341

Brief bio, I am a 12 year veteran and also in the National Guard. My full time civilian job is Law Enforcement. I am certified in Maine as a full time officer and have been through the complete pistol course. I know there is a federal law about carrying cross state lines as long as I am law enforcement. I am confused by some of the language in the statement and was wondering if someone here could help.

I want to go on vacation with my wife to N.C. Want to carry my personal CCW obviously. Are there any states that are going to not honor the CCW for L.E.O.? Would be going through ME, NH, MA, CN, NY, NJ, MD, DE, VI, then NC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I carry an XD Sub Compact 3" .40

HR218 Explained

Judge Johnson’s decision is a victory for sworn officers whose concealed-carry rights are protected under LEOSA. The court really did nothing more than uphold the time-honored principle that local authorities must obey federal laws.

The LEOSA allows any law enforcement officer with powers of arrest, who is authorized to carry a weapon on duty (whether or not the officer actually carries a weapon), and meets certain standards, or retired officer who formerly met these criteria, to lawfully carry a concealed handgun in any state. There are certain narrow limitations. Qualified law enforcement officers employed by or retired from a local, state or federal law enforcement agency. A “qualified active law enforcement officer” is defined as an employee of a government agency who:

• is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or the incarceration of any person for any violation of law;
• has statutory powers of arrest;
• is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm; is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency;
• meets the standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;
• is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance;
• and is not prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm.

Qualified active law enforcement officers must carry the photographic identification issued by the agency for which they are employed.

As chroode said under LEOSA you should not have any problems carrying on your trip, just make sure you have your dept. ID with you and Identity yourself up front. Carrying under LEOSA you really don't fall under the states carry permit laws, just make sure you know where you can't carry under LEOSA.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back