For all you NC 13th District Constituents out there...

dubccat51

I know this is a little early but with the presidential campaign heating up out there I started thinking about the election next year. This summer I sent our District 13 Congressman Brad Miller an e-mail protesting his co-sponsership of H.R. 1022, the McCarthy "Assault Weapons" Ban. What I don't understand about his support of this is that most of the area that he represents includes rural counties on the northern border of North Carolina where firearms are widely accepted. His support of this bill has no base and I have no idea what he is thinking. Anyway, here is the response I got back from him:

"June 6, 2007

Dear Mr. _________:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R 1022, the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007. I appreciate hearing from you.

From 1994 to 2004 federal law prohibited the transfer or sale of certain semi-automatic weapons defined by statute as "assault weapons." On September 24, 2004, as a result of congressional inaction, the statute was allowed to expire and the ban lapse.

As you know, H.R. 1022 would ban on the transfer or sale of assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices for a period of 10 years. In addition, the bill would ban the use of so-called "conversion kits," expand the definition of "assault weapon" to include semiautomatic rifles and pistols with the ability to accept detachable magazines, and prohibit the sale of firearms evidencing certain other characteristics such as a telescoping stock.

I understand your concerns about H.R. 1022, but I believe Congress must balance the right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms against the need to prevent them from finding their way into the hands of those who would use them for dangerous or illegal purposes.

Please contact me about other issues important to you. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Brad Miller
Member of Congress"

Since this bill died in committee, it does not represent a threat to our firearms but I don't like the idea of this man representing me in congress. If it would have been passed, this bill would have even outlawed the transfer of the semi-automatic handguns with detachable magazines that keep you safe when you are at home and out-and-about. Please get the word out there that our congressman fragrantly disregards the true views of his constituents and wants to "balance" our god-given and constitutionally affirmed rights.

Dubccat51

I received the identical "form letter" from Brad Miller. For the life of me I can not understand how our rural southern area keeps electing liberal democrats.

I really believe anything could get carry Caswell county if they are on the democrat ticket.

Like you my friend I got the same response from Mr. Miller.

Sadly he will probably get reelected this time..it will not be with my vote however.

Patrick

Maybe...

Hopefully enough people wrote him about his co-sponsership of the bill it scared him away from his gun control stance. The democrats are still scared of gun control because of Al Gore's loss in 2000. I guarantee you that neither Obama or Hillary will say a peep about gun control in this election.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back