for all of us up north

scfd5

So i was thinking about situation awarness today, here in mn it is 0 degrees outside at best. As i was walking all bundled up i realized i would never get my gun out in any reasnable time under all those layers. I do have an lcp that i keep in the outer most pocket but even then to take off glove and get a shot off with froozen finger seems imposable. I think i need to go the range and practice in this weather. Just wonder others thoughts on this topic.

If you wear gloves a lot...be sure to:

a) Acquire a firearm with a large trigger guard, so that you can fire it while wearing gloves

b) Acquire snug-fitting gloves, so that you avoid fabric bunching around the trigger.

c) Practice often using the gloves.

Well I too am frozen in the arctic circle known as MN LOL....I also carry a LCP in my front pocket. I think it's about the awareness you referred to. I'm not sure exactly where in MN you live, but as I'm sure you know there are areas more dangerous than others. Basically if I think there is a remote chance I may need it, I keep my right glove off and just put it in my jacket pocket. Otherwise I assume the criminals think it's just too cold to mess around too. If I thought there was a good chance I'd need it, well then I'd leave the area.

Look into gloves that are mitten like but can be flipped back to expose your fingers kinda like hunting gloves

I think i need to go the range and practice in this weather. Just wonder others thoughts on this topic.

Practice is an absolute necessity no matter what climate one lives in, but if your climate presents more challenges to proficiency than most, then you have to practice more than most.

Hunter's gloves is a great suggestion, but they're not made for tactical situations, so getting your trigger finger free from the glove is something else you'll have to practice until you've got it down to as fast as possible.

But hey, shooting is a sport or recreational activity beyond just being a means of self-defense. The more excuses I have to practice, the happier I am!

Blues

I live in NW Iowa so I feel (literally) the point you make. Technically you are in a disadvantaged position as the bad guy already knows what he plans to do and you have to do more to react in time. As BluesStringer pointed out, physical practice in your cold weather clothing becomes critically important. You also have to develop your intuition (tingling in your spine - spidey sense - whatever you call it). I pay increased attention to minutiae. Like why is that guy checking people out with his eyes more than a casual person walking down the street? Why does that guy have only one hand in his pockets? Why is that woman walking with one hand inside her shoulder bag? That guy has zippers on both pockets, but one is unzipped. It's cold, why is that coat only 3/4ths zipped up? I've looked in the reflection of a window twice now in 20 feet and that same guy is still the same distance behind me, that's not normal.

When you pay attention to what the majority of people do casually as they progress through their day, the small differences that might mean a threat is imminent start to easily stand out. Practice this enough and it will shave time off your reaction speed. It's really not hard to do once you think it through.

This is yet another reason why I like pocket carry. In the winter I only wear waist length coats. I have the gun in the front pocket of my pants so other than dealing with gloves it's no different than summer. I will also go without gloves often and just keep my hands in my jacket pockets.

My first thought was what KCD said. Odds are the BG, who is probably not a very motivated criminal capitalist, will not be "out and about". Solutions? Not sure if I saw it but those gloves with removable fronts that allow fingers to free---I have used same for photography. If good enough to focus and shoot a picture, should be good enough for focus and shoot a BG.

It was 78 and sunny today at my house. I can't relate. :biggrin:
Warm enough yesterday that the A/C was on. Cool enough last night that the heat came on. Low 50s out right now. Next month I'll be up north so I can relate to both.

Coincidentally, I just got a newsletter from Gunbroker.com and they have a link to an article from Link Removed on this very subject. The article cites a couple of different LE instructors, including Ayoob, and compares the efficiencies (or lack thereof) between pocket auto-loaders and revolvers. A compelling case is made that a revolver is probably a better choice than an auto-loader for pocket carry. Though that particular part of the subject hasn't been covered in any depth here, not much other new ground is covered, and the gist of the article is train, train, train, just like here, so we're not as dumb as we look! :no:

Blues

If/when I am out and about, I carry my pf9 in the front pocket of my coat. I always have my G23 IWB, but for immediate action I can employ the 9mm. I am also a big proponent of situational awareness. As I do not live in a high crime area, I do wear winter gloves most of the time, However if I feel the need the gloves come off and I am ready should the need arise. For those who like to taunt us with the warm weather, it was -26 here this morning, I enjoyed it! crisp and clean!

For those who like to taunt us with the warm weather, it was -26 here this morning, I enjoyed it! crisp and clean!

-26??? Good Lord man....do you need to use a dry lube like graphite on your guns when it's that cold??

I'm a "taunter" to be sure but, being from a military family, I spent as much time in places like Maine and Rhode Island as I did in Hawaii and S. California. I know the feeling!

If/when I am out and about, I carry my pf9 in the front pocket of my coat. I always have my G23 IWB, but for immediate action I can employ the 9mm. I am also a big proponent of situational awareness. As I do not live in a high crime area, I do wear winter gloves most of the time, However if I feel the need the gloves come off and I am ready should the need arise. For those who like to taunt us with the warm weather, it was -26 here this morning, I enjoyed it! crisp and clean!

You know it! There's nothing like a nice hike in the woods with snow on the ground and breathing that winter air....or skiing...or a game of pond hockey. I love the change of seasons.

If you wear gloves a lot...be sure to:

a) Acquire a firearm with a large trigger guard, so that you can fire it while wearing gloves

b) Acquire snug-fitting gloves, so that you avoid fabric bunching around the trigger.

c) Practice often using the gloves.

I agree and will add...get gloves that will help your grip. The gloves I wear are kinda slippery, sometimes can't even get a hold of the phone. Time to go shopping.

I usually wear glove inserts. Their tight enough to keep on while shooting and unless you're outside a lot, they keep you pretty warm. It's starting to get cold here in CT so I'll be practicing with them much more

I wonder what the stats are for armed action or even muggings/murders/rape in colder temps. When I worked in security we always enjoyed REALLY cold temps and snow because or incidents of trouble always dropped off with the weather gauge. Not that we would let our guard down, we just knew that there probably wouldn't be a lot of paperwork at the end of the night. I agree with the people who suggest an outer pocket smaller gun with a large trigger guard.

Although I live in the tropics more or less, there are occasions where I dress like my northern friends do this time of year. I do some off-road motorcycle riding and wear a heavy jacket and gloves when doing so. My pistol (usually my LCR. I like the .357 since the most common threat I'm likely to face is an angry 300lb wild pig) rides in the left inside breast pocket of my jacket and the gloves I wear are the standard cowhide work gloves that you get at Lowes or Home Depot. The gloves are fairly loose-fitting and will come off my hands usually with just a quick shake. Although not quite as accessible as my usual method of carrying, I can still get to my pistol PDQ if necessary.

4715406.jpg

125580066269k5Q3.jpg

It's only 24 degrees here and my winter jacket isn't that much to sweep away so i haven't had to modify much.

I do think that next time hurricane season tries to blow B2Tall out to sea we all need to send him a friendly note.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back