Food for thought...should I buy American?

skeetersx200

I've been looking hard at the Glock and plan on making my firearms purchase right after Christmas however, with all that is going on in our economy and american manufacturing, I may rethink about buying that brand. I am a true blue god and land loving american citizen and certain things you can't help buy and are only made over seas, but maybe I can decide to buy a truely american made pistol.

What I don't know, as I haven't done all my research on it yet is... what are still the true american made, built, and assembled weapons manufacturered here? Are all of our reknowned american firearms companies still building and manufacturing their arms in our country, or have they farmed off their cost of labor to South America or the middle eastern or asian countries?

I do have a choice on where to spend my $500-750 dollars and to hopefully spend it on a product made in our country by american labor. It is hard to do when it comes to a peice of home entertainment electronics or tv equipment, but I can still buy a 100% american made firearm correct? Point me to what manufacturers are still "all american" and I will check out their products thoroughly before I buy. I make all my money here, and I prefer to spend it here...at least as much as possible.

You want something you can depend on. Remember you are betting your life and the lives of your loved ones on it. Get the very best you can afford. Although I have some Colt's and Smith and Wesson revolvers all my auto's are HK's, Sig's, Walther's, and Glock's. These are ones that I know I can count on, the brands I feel are some of the very best made. I am not concerned where they are made but rather how they are made.

Colt is a good choice if you're looking for a 1911. I don't have much experience with S&W, but they seem to have a good reputation and it might be worth checking out.

Kimber and Wilson are both American-made and both make a very good product. Armalite also now makes a handgun. If you want to go a little smaller, Kel-Tec is American-made and they have some other interesting products as well. There's probably other good choices that aren't listed here. Note that Springfield Armory, while they definitely have good products, make their pistols in Croatia. The name is a bit misleading.

Generally speaking though, going only by nation of manufacture is not really the way to choose a firearm. You'll be limiting yourself quite a bit. It's best to keep your options open to what works for you, and get that.

Just as with US automakers, if American firearms manufacturers want their products to be as popular as Glocks and Springfield's XD line, they need to be competitive and make something equally compelling. There are some very good Czech and Russian firearms out there at excellent prices.

Just as with US automakers, if American firearms manufacturers want their products to be as popular as Glocks and Springfield's XD line, they need to be competitive and make something equally compelling. There are some very good Czech and Russian firearms out there at excellent prices.

Ah, someone after me own heart! lol

But I must sigh, once again, and explain that just because a vehicle has a GM, Ford, or Chrysler logo on it DOES NOT MEAN that it's MADE IN THE USA! I'll explain. My 1989, one-ton-dually Silverado pick up truck was made in Canada. My 1978 Chevrolet LUV truck was made in Japan but the cab and bed were assembled here in the USA. Chevrolet and Toyota have a joint venture in the San Francisco area - NUMMI, or New United Motors Manufacturing, Inc. Chevrolet owns plants in Mexico and Europe and Canada. I'm of the opinion that Ford and Chrysler are just as diversified. You can search the web for verification.

That said, who knows where our firearms are manufactured, imported from, assembled, designed, and so forth. Buy what you want, for the price you want. Go for quality, and price, ie., buy what you like and the best you can afford. Who know, you may be supporting me, a GM retiree, or your next door neighbor, and never, ever even know it.

But I must sigh, once again, and explain that just because a vehicle has a GM, Ford, or Chrysler logo on it DOES NOT MEAN that it's MADE IN THE USA! I'll explain. My 1989, one-ton-dually Silverado pick up truck was made in Canada. My 1978 Chevrolet LUV truck was made in Japan but the cab and bed were assembled here in the USA. Chevrolet and Toyota have a joint venture in the San Francisco area - NUMMI, or New United Motors Manufacturing, Inc. Chevrolet owns plants in Mexico and Europe and Canada. I'm of the opinion that Ford and Chrysler are just as diversified. You can search the web for verification.
I know - my grandfather is retired from GM as well, and was the head of the local UAW for a while. If we don't get an American-made car, we never hear the end of it. Once I got an Accord, and he called it my "airplane" because he found it too exotic. :lol: It's true that "domestic" cars are made all over the world, but much of the fundamental design and marketing starts in the US.

I just mean that it's best to support innovation and competitive research, if for no other reason than to encourage our own industry to keep up. Moving forward on firearms technology was the spirit of John Browning, and he would probably be appalled if he were to come back today and see that we've let the Europeans go make most of the recent advances in firearms. Glocks and XDs have been big sellers because they very effectively apply technology to solve some problems.

It would be nice to see a domestic firearms manufacturer once again put out a truly innovative product that really captures people's attention.

I know - my grandfather is retired from GM as well, and was the head of the local UAW for a while. If we don't get an American-made car, we never hear the end of it. Once I got an Accord, and he called it my "airplane" because he found it too exotic. :lol: It's true that "domestic" cars are made all over the world, but much of the fundamental design and marketing starts in the US.

I just mean that it's best to support innovation and competitive research, if for no other reason than to encourage our own industry to keep up. Moving forward on firearms technology was the spirit of John Browning, and he would probably be appalled if he were to come back today and see that we've let the Europeans go make most of the recent advances in firearms. Glocks and XDs have been big sellers because they very effectively apply technology to solve some problems.

It would be nice to see a domestic firearms manufacturer once again put out a truly innovative product that really captures people's attention.

You can ask your grandfather, "Did you know that the Honda Accord was MADE IN THE USA?"

Check it out here:
The Honda Accord first rolled off American assembly lines in Marysville, Ohio, exactly 25 years ago on November 1, 1982. Though still considered a Japanese car, nearly 9 million made-in-the-USA Accords have rolled out of the Marysville plant, doing wonders for the local economy in the process.

Made in the USA

According to this website, the following firearms are MADE IN THE USA:
Freedom Arms
Ruger
Kimber
Les Baer
Sig

Is all gun powder still made in China? I don't believe so. Where are bullet casings manufactured? The slides? The bullets? The triggers? My point is that we never know where something is manufactured, or assembled, or designed. The All American Colt .45 could be "made" in Yugoslavia. The Beretta could be made in VietNam. TV's and VCR's could be made in Asia. Harley Davidson motorcycles are made where? We use soccer balls made in what country? Firestone tires could be made from trees in the Amazon. Sears tools could originate in Norway. Smith & Wesson distributes Walther pistols. Most things are made under the cover of company or trade secrets. How would we ever know? IMHO, the best we can hope for is buy that which we know is fairly traded, manufactured by those who earn a decent, living wage, and is a quality product.

So, in the end, I guess we could ask ourselves, "Just what does it mean to 'Buy American?' "

Last edited:
American free enterprise means being able to buy the best product at the best price without government interference. While there are some exceptions (NAFTA, tariffs, etc.) it is still the best way to support our free enterprise system.

So, go buy whatever you determine is best for you.

I can't fault you if American is the way yo decide to go. Just make sure that in making your choice, go for the one that you shoot best and trust your life with most. That being said, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Kel Tec, and Ruger are all pretty good to start with.

make a conscious effort to buy American, support, support, support.
I have an XD and love it even though not made in USA, soild, comfortable in my hand and reliable. Colts are great guns and can be had for very resonable money. Some of the custome builders are way over priced IMO, but stick to the old faithfuls like Colt, Springfield and you wont be disappointed.
now for cars...:butcher: I have never owned a car not made by one of the big 3 and wont. I was around when the first hondas came over and they were POS. Tin cans that echoed for days when you shut the doors, rode like tanks, and yep they rusted and broke down got great mpg and that was the "thing" to do and the media hyped them like crazy. my sis had a honda in the 90's, the damn front door fell off while she was headed to Chicago, bought a Maxima after that, and the electrical system fired in6 months now shes a Ford girl and loves them.....they all have their problems. I just bought a new Chevy HHR and would put it up against any comparable model.
anyway, end of the soap box.........buy whatcha want, but I say support American made when ever you can.

Last edited:
The sad fact is with a vast majority of products if you want only to purchase American you are out of luck. Want a Boob tube? If you choose not to buy anything but American you will be watching a blank wall. How about a good pair of running shoes? For a long time New Balance was made in America but I am not even sure about them any more. As a matter of fact very little of the clothes we have are made here. How many cameras can you name that are American? Motor cycles? Harley makes some nice ones if you can afford them. Other than that you will most likely be getting one from Germany, Italy, England Japan etc.

Smith & Wesson's M&P line is quite nice and very comparable to the Glocks. I have an M&P 9c and love it. I also have an S&W 340PD, snub nose revolver chambered in .357, along with two 1911's, both from Smith & Wesson. I like my Walther PPK as well. With all that said.....I really love my Glock 30! Great shootin' gun with Hell and Back Reliability.

The ultimate choice is yours.

Surfcc

You can ask your grandfather, "Did you know that the Honda Accord was MADE IN THE USA?"

Check it out here:
The Honda Accord first rolled off American assembly lines in Marysville, Ohio, exactly 25 years ago on November 1, 1982. Though still considered a Japanese car, nearly 9 million made-in-the-USA Accords have rolled out of the Marysville plant, doing wonders for the local economy in the process.
Yes - Honda and Toyota have not let the fact slide that most of their cars sold in the US are also assembled here. Often, it's more so the case that they're made here, than American cars are. That won't sway loyalists, though.

I always buy the product that best fits my needs. As long as it isn't predominantly made somewhere that has egregious human rights abuses (China being the exception, because it's extraordinarily difficult to avoid), I don't have a problem buying imports of any kind. If a shirt says "Made in Myanmar", I'd avoid it, because I know some Burmese refugees.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back