Flying with weapons

Shooter Mike

On 20 April I flew from Hawaii to Los Angeles on American Airlines. I was pleasantly surprised with the non-problematic checking in with my firearms. I was only carrying my two Glock's and a box of ammo. She never asked for my ammo though - just wanted to ensure my guns were unloaded.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else is flying soon, and has concerns.

Thanks for the info. I'll be flying with my firearm for the 1st time in June to Colorado. Hopefully it will go as smooth.

I'm going on my upteenth trip to JAX Florida Memorial Day weekend. If they're like any other Florida airport I've been too; Orlando (MCI), Tampa (TPA) or West Palm Beach (PBI). it shouldn't be an issue.

Traveling with Guns on Planes

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
  2. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
    1. Determine if the ammo MUST be in boxes OR can fly in loaded magazines.
    2. If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazines.
    3. The round from the pipe(s) must be in a box, not loose.
  3. 3.Secure and protect magazines and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
  4. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in. The labeling should be limited to:
    1. Your Name
    2. Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
    3. Your personal email address - if you have one
    4. NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
  5. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
  6. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
  7. Make sure you have the keys to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR § 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Link Removed) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case
    1. to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in
    2. if the TSA wants to see.
  8. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
    1. airline
    2. FAA Regional Office
    3. ATF Regional Office
Other things to consider:

1. 1.Check Handgunlaw.us and/or Link Removed to determine:
    1. If you can possess the weapon at all your stops.
    2. Where and how you can carry at all your stops.
    3. What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting.
  2. 2.Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - Link Removed. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back