Flying to/from NJ (NJ resident)

TIMinNJ

First and foremost, I am a resident of NJ. I legally own a pistol. Secondly, I moved to NJ from PA where I legally purchased my pistol and, therefore, do not have a FID card from local PD here in Jersey (I am applying for it today). I fully expect to get my FID card but in the meantime, can I fly in/out of Newark (EWR) with my pistol as per TSA regs since NJ is a legal place for me to possess a handgun? Do I need to have my FID card in order to do this? I checked with the State Police and I am certain that I am not legally required to have an FID card to simply possess the gun since it was obtained legally out of state (I just can't buy ammo in NJ). I am not asking whether or not it is a good idea to have an FID card only the legalities of flying without one. Please don't answer this thread by saying "Don't do it." I want to explore real legal facts, not the anti-gun sentiment in this state.

I have family in PA and WI and travel there frequently. I also have a UT ccw permit which is good in both states so I would like to take my pistol when traveling. I know in NJ the attitude of a lot of LEOs is to arrest anyone with a gun (legal or not) and let the courts sort it out later. I actually heard that comment straight from the mouth of a retired LEO I recently met. I know I am a good guy and don't want to break any laws but I also don't want to be hasseled un-necessarily when I am within the law and my rights. And don't say it...I know I should move out of NJ but it is where my job is right now so it is something I have to deal with, at least for a little while...

Thanks in advance for any insight!

First and foremost, I am a resident of NJ. I legally own a pistol. Secondly, I moved to NJ from PA where I legally purchased my pistol and, therefore, do not have a FID card from local PD here in Jersey (I am applying for it today). I fully expect to get my FID card but in the meantime, can I fly in/out of Newark (EWR) with my pistol as per TSA regs since NJ is a legal place for me to possess a handgun? Do I need to have my FID card in order to do this? I checked with the State Police and I am certain that I am not legally required to have an FID card to simply possess the gun since it was obtained legally out of state (I just can't buy ammo in NJ). I am not asking whether or not it is a good idea to have an FID card only the legalities of flying without one. Please don't answer this thread by saying "Don't do it." I want to explore real legal facts, not the anti-gun sentiment in this state.

I have family in PA and WI and travel there frequently. I also have a UT ccw permit which is good in both states so I would like to take my pistol when traveling. I know in NJ the attitude of a lot of LEOs is to arrest anyone with a gun (legal or not) and let the courts sort it out later. I actually heard that comment straight from the mouth of a retired LEO I recently met. I know I am a good guy and don't want to break any laws but I also don't want to be hasseled un-necessarily when I am within the law and my rights. And don't say it...I know I should move out of NJ but it is where my job is right now so it is something I have to deal with, at least for a little while...

I believe You will have issues if you are trying to carry your weapon on board. Check it with the airline in a locked gun container and separate the amo from the gun. The airlines do this often. Note : if you have a connecting flight and must stay until the following day --do not --try to claim your weapon. You will have to recheck it. If your connecting flight is in a state your ccw doesn't apply you will find yourself carrying illegally.

be wary of internet advice, in fact be wary of most info you get from anyone regarding firearms in NJ, nobody really knows what the laws are because the laws can vary and change based on whims of the law enforcement people you encounter.

as for travelling, while you do legally possess your firearm, legally transporting it in NJ becomes problematic without that Firearms ID card.
I would suggest that you hold off on trying to fly with the gun until you are in possession of that card. good luck.

FWIW the sources of info on the laws in NJ that you can tap with some confidence would be the AG's office in trenton, the state police have a firearms bureau that may be able to help and for FID your local police chief

be wary of internet advice, in fact be wary of most info you get from anyone regarding firearms in NJ, nobody really knows what the laws are because the laws can vary and change based on whims of the law enforcement people you encounter.

as for travelling, while you do legally possess your firearm, legally transporting it in NJ becomes problematic without that Firearms ID card.
I would suggest that you hold off on trying to fly with the gun until you are in possession of that card. good luck.

FWIW the sources of info on the laws in NJ that you can tap with some confidence would be the AG's office in trenton, the state police have a firearms bureau that may be able to help and for FID your local police chief

I appreciate your advice and would like to add that previous to starting this thread I actually did check with the AG and NJSP firearms division. I am certain that it is legal to transport on a plane like I asked about. This is such an anti-2A state that it makes "good guys" question whether or not they are doing the right thing. I am in the process of getting an FID so I should be ok (assuming it doesn't take a year) but I always have a strange feeling being a gun owner in NJ. Legal and all, it only takes one il-informed cop or airline agent that doesn't know what to do and you're jammed up trying to prove your innocence.

Obviously I have read the stories about people that were arrested or otherwise inconvenienced and was interested to hear first hand account of people transporting legally and NOT being hassled.

Thanks again!

I did this once when I lived in NJ. I got my info from the airline's website. That would be the place to look. My trip was 10 years ago. I don't think the NJ laws have changed much, but the particular airline may have different restrictions.

When I went, the airline and faa wanted the gun and ammo in the same locked container. NJ doesn't allow you to do this, so I put my revolver in a case within the locking briefcase with the ammo. I went to check my baggage and told the airline agent I had a firearm to check. She checked my other baggage and then walked me to a TSA agent who inspected my firearm and boxed ammo, asked me to lock it, then placed a TSA seal on it. I was never asked to show my NJ permit. I wasn't even asked for any id by the TSA, only the airline.

After my experience, I have heard of someone getting in serious trouble in NJ because he had his gun and ammo together; following TSA rules, but not state law. If I had to do it again, I would probably leave the ammo at home.

My family is from Texas, and until I moved back, we made many trips from Newark to Dallas. I just had my father buy a few guns for me and the kids and keep them in his safe in Dallas. Much easier.

Anyway... check with the airline and don't break the law in NJ, and you should be fine.

P.S. It took me about 5 months to get my NJ id. Again, more than a decade ago.

Last edited:

How so? NJFID card is required for purchasing ammo and guns. Has nothing to do with transporting pistols.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back