Flying roundtrip but only checking handgun on return

geoberk

Haven't seen this discussed yet, but here goes. Would I raise any red flags with TSA or anyone else if I were to fly round-trip to California and only checked a handgun on the return flight? (Picking up a handgun I legally own that I left with someone for safekeeping.) Thanks.

Haven't seen this discussed yet, but here goes. Would I raise any red flags with TSA or anyone else if I were to fly round-trip to California and only checked a handgun on the return flight? (Picking up a handgun I legally own that I left with someone for safekeeping.) Thanks.

You should not raise any red flags as it is legal to transport a firearm. TSA is not a law enforce agency so they are not there to enforce who can own a gun or what kind of gun or any kind of business like that. That said the way this government is working now you will probably have a SWAT team waiting at the gate for you.

why would it?

I don't think that you would have any problems. But you do have to follow the rules for TSA. I took a trip to GA back in Oct. I did take firearms with me on my trip. I also sold one of the guns to my brother and I brought back the gun that was my late fathers gun. I did have the guns in a hard plastic rifle case that also had pad locks on it. I went to the ticket check in counter and told them that I had the guns. They had me fill out a 3x5 card with my name and address on it. Then they had me put it in the rifle case. And then went to the TSA people where they looked things over and they then put the case through. Now for a Pistol it dose have to be in a hard case that can be locked. Also if you put it into your suitcase the suitcase has to be hard sided and be able to be locked as well. And you still have to go to the ticket counter and tell them that you do have the gun packed in your suit case. And they will more than likely have you fill out some form saying that the gun is there. I also went to the airlines web site that I was flying on and printed out their regulations for carrying guns on their planes. the guy at the ticket counter looked at me as if he did not know what to do. I handed him their regulations that I got from their site and he said that I must have done it before and I told him it was my first time but that I did do my homework and found out what I needed to do. He looked at what I printed out and that was that no problems. So you might want to check with the airline that you are flying on and ask them what they require and then follow and do what they say and you should have no problems. Have a safe trip.

Small correction

I recently flew Delta and checked my handgun (in its own hard/locked/cabled case inside my luggage) at the ticket counter. All of what you said occurred but I had nylon/soft side luggage and it was not an issue on either leg of the trip.
I don't think that you would have any problems. But you do have to follow the rules for TSA. I took a trip to GA back in Oct. I did take firearms with me on my trip. I also sold one of the guns to my brother and I brought back the gun that was my late fathers gun. I did have the guns in a hard plastic rifle case that also had pad locks on it. I went to the ticket check in counter and told them that I had the guns. They had me fill out a 3x5 card with my name and address on it. Then they had me put it in the rifle case. And then went to the TSA people where they looked things over and they then put the case through. Now for a Pistol it dose have to be in a hard case that can be locked. Also if you put it into your suitcase the suitcase has to be hard sided and be able to be locked as well. And you still have to go to the ticket counter and tell them that you do have the gun packed in your suit case. And they will more than likely have you fill out some form saying that the gun is there. I also went to the airlines web site that I was flying on and printed out their regulations for carrying guns on their planes. the guy at the ticket counter looked at me as if he did not know what to do. I handed him their regulations that I got from their site and he said that I must have done it before and I told him it was my first time but that I did do my homework and found out what I needed to do. He looked at what I printed out and that was that no problems. So you might want to check with the airline that you are flying on and ask them what they require and then follow and do what they say and you should have no problems. Have a safe trip.

There is so much wrong with the below post.....

I don't think that you would have any problems. But you do have to follow the rules for TSA. I took a trip to GA back in Oct. I did take firearms with me on my trip. I also sold one of the guns to my brother

Sounds like a sale between residents of two different states which was illegal if it did not go through an FFL.

Now for a Pistol it dose have to be in a hard case that can be locked.

Any firearm, rifle pistol or shotgun and anything in between, being checked in luggage must be in a hard sided case that must be locked with a lock that only the passenger retains the key or combination to and not be able to be pried open enough to remove the firearm from.

Also if you put it into your suitcase the suitcase has to be hard sided and be able to be locked as well.

No, it doesn't. Only the firearm case itself must be hardsided and locked, not the outer luggage/suitcase that the firearm case might be in. If you lock the outer suitcase with a non-TSA lock, TSA will be happy to practice using their lock removal techniques and you will have pieces of your non-TSA lock inside your suitcase next to the locked gun case with a note from them.

And they will more than likely have you fill out some form saying that the gun is there.

More than likely? Well, if they don't, the passenger will be violating Federal regulations for not providing written notification to the airline that an unloaded firearm is being transported and will have to pay a nice fine for the violation.

Sounds like a sale between residents of two different states which was illegal if it did not go through an FFL.

That is no concern to TSA. Which was what the original post asked. They are not tasked with enforcing those laws.

Sounds like a sale between residents of two different states which was illlegal if it did not go through an FFL.

This is an old post but I found it interesting that someone would assume that federal laws were being violated in this scenario because I have done this more than once and not violated any laws, nor has airport security blinked an eye, and there has never been any follow up by anyone on it.

Since we travel all the time and are required to purchase handguns in Missouri, sometimes we drive to Missouri and sometimes we fly without a gun to Oklahoma, drive to Missouri, make a handgun purchase in Missouri where we are residents, drive back to Oklahoma where we fly out of now with a handgun back to our original destination where we purchase our round trip tickets to/from.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back