Floriduh law

marionandjohn

Ok I just had a much bigger post hacked out and internet crashed before I could save or submit. So I am making a trip to FL soon I have a valid permit that is good in FL I read through the laws I could find. I found FL statue 790.06 para. 12 and the off limit places it list.

I didnt find beaches parks or any place with a sign. I ask because I have head that some beaches have a no weapon sign posted. did I miss something or does that just not matter? I know about the CC only unless fishing hunting things, and will be spending most my time in and around Naples. I read that its a stand your ground and castle doctrine state. also a pre-emption state and from my understanding that means localities can NOT make stricter laws.

No bars or bar areas was about the only thing I found that might be important to me. Any thing new that has lately passed and is not updated on the web yet? anything else you can think might be of importance to me or that I might have missed? (note this post is much shorter and is saved)

You pretty much have it... Beaches should be OK unless posted, but I've never seen a posted beach..

OK in places with Bars such as Chili's, etc, just NOT in the Bar area of the restaurants. Bars only are prohibited.

You can carry in a vehicle so long as the pistol is "securely encased" Which means in a closed glove compartment, Closed Console, Holster with a snap or flap, etc, loaded is fine.

Enjoy your trip to Floriduh!!!

You can carry in a vehicle so long as the pistol is "securely encased" Which means in a closed glove compartment, Closed Console, Holster with a snap or flap, etc, loaded is fine.
Don't know if you're right or wrong and I'm currently too lazy to look it up, but I have to question the value of being able to carry in a car if it has to be secured in this way! Might as well say it has to be transported New Jersey style! WTF good is it closed up? The whole IDEA of CCW...or ANY kind of 'carry'...is accessibility!

Dumb!

Don't know if you're right or wrong and I'm currently too lazy to look it up, but I have to question the value of being able to carry in a car if it has to be secured in this way! Might as well say it has to be transported New Jersey style! WTF good is it closed up? The whole IDEA of CCW...or ANY kind of 'carry'...is accessibility!
Dumb!
Read hootmons post a little closer, it only has to be locked up if you don't have it secured in your holster. A rig on your hip is very accessible, as is any vest/holster.

The intent of the law seems to be it cannot be lying freely in the car while loaded. No door pockets, no on the passenger seat, not even under your seat. It either has to be on your person holstered, or locked up. Does that make sense.

OK.. I apologize IF I confused you by my wording...
I was saying IN ADDITION to being able to CC in your car, you can also carry a loaded gun in your car. At no time did I say the gun had to be locked.
What is so hard about throwing a loaded gun into a glove compartment or a center console and closing the door??? IF you were to need it, just push or pull a button and there it is.. IF it is in the console or glove compartment it does not have to be even in a holster. You do NOT even have to have a permit to carry a gun in this way... The law basically is intended that there is at least one step to firing..

An example of NOT "Securely Encased" would be in a Paper bag.. You COULD shoot the gun without pulling the gun out of the bag.
In a holster with a strap around the hammer under the seat is fine as well.

In many states, the gun has to be unloaded, in a locked box, in another compartment other than the drivers compartment (trunk), separated from the bullets.. NOW that is a restrictive law..

ok so If the beach is posted with just no weapons or is there a specific wording it must say for you to not be able to carry there, how can they regulate beach carry with the pre-emption law? I have to have it secured in the vehicle even if I have a carry permit? And I am saying secured as in holstered or in the center console or glove compartment.

M&J -
I don't think you are going to have an issue with beach carry, so long as it's concealed.
Secured statement is correct.

You can also carry in a vehicle without a permit so long as the pistol is "securely encased" Which means in a closed glove compartment, Closed Console, Holster with a snap or flap, etc, loaded is fine.

Fixed it. This has come up in other forums where the poster was taught in a CCW class that this was the only legal way to carry in a car. After much discussion I think he still believes it.

You can also carry in a vehicle without a permit so long as the pistol is "securely encased" Which means in a closed glove compartment, Closed Console, Holster with a snap or flap, etc, loaded is fine.

Fixed it. This has come up in other forums where the poster was taught in a CCW class that this was the only legal way to carry in a car. After much discussion I think he still believes it.

Yeah, the statute being mentioned is specifically regarding people without a license and is contained in 790.25:
Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

Licensed conceal carry is not restricted just by stepping into your vehicle though.

Well my plan is to put the weapon in the center console, I dont think riding for 8 hours with a pistol on my hip/digging in my back is a comfortable idea. I normally put the weapon in a door but for the sake of arguing with a cop I am gonna drop in it the console. However reading JLC's post I would have to agree that secured carry in the car is for unlicensed car carry. Or am I still missing something else?

However reading JLC's post I would have to agree that secured carry in the car is for unlicensed car carry. Or am I still missing something else?
I don't think riding for 8 hours with a pistol on my hip/digging in my back is a comfortable idea.

Carrying a gun in a glove box or console or the trunk is the ONLY option for unlicensed. IF you are licensed, you can carry as stated above OR on your person.

The digging in the back is the reason I originally brought up the Glove Compartment/Console comment in the 1st place.. Sure you have the RIGHT to carry on your person, but sometimes, it's great to have the option!

I didnt find beaches parks or any place with a sign. I ask because I have head that some beaches have a no weapon sign posted. did I miss something or does that just not matter?

Those signs don't matter and are not enforceable.

Florida has total statewide preemption and that includes local and county governments.
Right now Lee County(Fort Myers) is hopefully in the process of taking down their illegal no gun signs off their beaches after a local attorney filed a protest in Tallahassee.

See this link:
Link Removed

Miami Beach and other cities still have these signs up.Ignore them and concealed carry freely with your FL CCW.The local political fools will never stop trying but their signs are meaningless. :biggrin:

Just got my carry in FL, DD 214, FLDL and $117 for 7 years and good in 33 states...far cry to what I went through in TX 1996. Also took 20 min for the eletronic fingerprints pic filling out the form on their computer. Had the card in 7 days, Mon-Mon.

Airport transportation of a firearm

In addition to the TSA regs, I've heard that some airlines require that the weapon must be in a locked hard case with the action open (TSA doesn't require that), and also different from TSA, that you cannot have ammo in the same case with the firearm. Has anyone had personal experience having to comply with those "extra" requirements?

In addition to the TSA regs, I've heard that some airlines require that the weapon must be in a locked hard case with the action open (TSA doesn't require that), and also different from TSA, that you cannot have ammo in the same case with the firearm. Has anyone had personal experience having to comply with those "extra" requirements?
I traveled from the West Coast last October (2009) on Frontier Airlines back to Florida.
Rifle and Pistol in one locked case, unloaded, Box of ammo in manufacturers cardboard box. Fill out the form and place form inside the case..

I did have to wait at the ticket counter for about 10 minutes (Early morning in small airport) for the OK.. Presuming they x-rayed the box before releasing me to go to the gate to board the flight.

No mention of the actions being open, or anything about ammo.. They didn't even look in the case at the counter when I opened it to place the slip inside.

There was nothing at the far end either, just pick up the bag at the carousel like any other bag..

When I carry Long guns, I utilize a Bow case, my friend utilizes a Fender guitar case (that's been modified with foam on the inside). This reduces any anxiety onlookers may have.
It's not necessary, but anything I can do to keep my profile down the better!!!

Ok so the trip went with out a hitch. when I was going to the beaches I found it hard to conceal in my swim suit so I just unloaded and left in the car locked up and buried well. But I did notice that the Clam Pass beach in naples was posted stating a park ORD. it was posted via a gun buster sign and apparently banning semi auto pistols only and it looked like maybe a glock.:to_pick_ones_nose: I kept it concealed everywhere we went and overall it was a good trip.minus the sun burn. :biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back