florida shooting

chulai

I stay in Cape Coral for the winter from central NY. The one thing I really miss in Florida is the total lack of decent firing ranges and/or sportsmen clubs where people can go and shoot and meet people. In upstate NY there are a minimum of 6 ranges or clubs within a 10 mi radius of my home. The smallest range goes to 100 yds with the largest out to 600 yds. including handgun and shotgun ranges. In addition, within a 10 mi radius are hundreds of acres of fields/woodlands where hunting/shooting is permitted either by owner permission or open state reforestation.

By contrast I have found only ONE public range with any kind of decent yardage near (20 mi away) Cape Coral. The Cecil Webb area. Unfortunately because it is the only range, it is always very crowded and sometimes requires an hour wait just to get a shooting spot. It is a max 200 yd range with pistol and shotgun stations. On a recent visit I experienced other shooters who only shoot once in a while and have trouble even operating their own firearms let alone know how to safely use a range. Some of the other so-called "ranges" are only indoor pistol where you have to pay $300 to $400 to join and make an appointment to shoot !!!! One so-called club even refused to let me look at the range set-up unless I joined !!!!! As far as other clubs, I have tried to join SW Florida Sportsmen club but they are so crowded and have a 300 member limit - I was told I am number 60 on a waiting list and when my turn comes up I will be called. You can also forget "going out into the woods" as all the land around here is private and NO ONE wants an "outsider" shooting on their property.

I find this very perplexing as Florida is a shooter friendly, open state compared to NY which, to say the least, is very un-friendly and restrictive. Can anyone explain to me why this is ??? or how to get around these short comings and continue to enjoy the shooting sports.

Okeechobee Shooting Sports is 100 miles away and is one of the best public ranges in the state.

Depends on how bad you want to shoot. I drive 156 miles to hunt almost every weekend during season.....Everybody is different. I drive 1 and 1/2 hours to teach classes there. SO yeah I think it is viable. I will also go there get a hotel room for the weekend.

Why is it that the Yankees leave the north to come to the south then complain that the south is not like up north?

Thanks for responding. I agree with APVBGUY - driving 200mi just to go to a range is ridiculous. As far as BUSTER04 - why is it that whenever someone says something that a Floridian doesn't like, the first word out of their mouth is YANKEES. I enjoy Florida, it is a very shooter friendly state, I will continue to come here (I bought a house), and I am NOT ATTACKING anyone. I asked a question - WHY is this the situation here in Florida. Does anyone have an answer?

One more thing BTTBOB, anyone can look up gun ranges in the yellow pages. I did - Fowler is a gun shop with a private range for customers ---- Shoot Straight is a gun shop with a private range for customers - both of them offer rental guns that you can use at their respective range. Citidel is the range I spoke about in my original post. They charge $300-400 to join and will not let you shoot unless you join !!!!! Its a block building and you can't even look at the range!

Now that all the crap is gone, can anyone answer my question with civility?

Why not open a range? If the demand is that great, a good range should make money. Sell shares in like Country Clubs do. Those guys are members and get greater advantages over walk ins. Just a thought.

A friend of my Father retired to Florida. He had been in the Glass Business in the Chicago area. When he got to FL. he needed a board up service. He could not find a company that would come in less then 3 days. So after looking around some he found there was a big need for a good glass company where he lived. He opened a "Southern" branch of his Chicago store. He is making money and has some nice tax advantages to boot.

It would be a great idea but you need money and land to make that happen. Unfortunately I don't have either one lol The land I have seen for sale is oriented toward home building and is over priced.

I'm with Bluestar99. Sounds like an entrepreneurial idea to me. Find a niche, invest to capture and roll around in the profits.

Here's a link :Link Removed

I think what happens, is most guys retiring to Florida go to a local(?) gun range,

and have to put up with the 75+ mile round-trip, charges, rules, restrictions, RSOs who've had 3 too many cups

of coffee, rude patrons, etc; and they get tired, much as I did, of all the BS. They get a little

land, set up a birm, and shoot on their own property. Everybody I know has their own range

area, on their place.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back