Florida Hunting

sdf2000

I have been wanting to go hunting here in Florida. Probably wild hog! Now this is something I have never done so I would welcome any advice you may have. In particular what would be a good gun to use? Nothing Fancy just something for a newbie that may not go very often, so I don't want to put a bundle of money in it right away!! I have some places to go but don't know how to go about it....

Hogs are legal all year. A good high power pistol will work well if you are going in the brush after them , any good rifle or shotgun will do. Little ones taste better and boar hogs can really smell like s---t. They are fast and can cut the crap out of you if they get close.Real fun to hunt and they are not dumb.A soe of about 60 lbs is perfect. No trophy but good eats. Good luck and stay safe. Also wear rubber gloves when field dressing all game.

Be sure to know the local hunting laws and regulations and be sure to purchase your hunting license (if required). Game violations are a serious offense in many places and my put you and your hunting gear in jeopardy and at the mercy of the game enforcement officer. I've seen many firearms confiscated due to game violations. Check out International Hunter Education Association - IHEA for more info.

gf

I was checking out the hunting license requirements and that is the easy part. Where I am going to go the season goes not open up till Dec, so that is why I am checking it out now! There are camps where you can for $200 go out for a half a day and they garentee you a kill. They will even loan you a gun! But that seems to lack any pazaz. I thought for the 200 I will buy a uesable rifle and go on my own and more then once... Is that the wrong direction to go?

Last edited:
It's great that you want to do some hunting. Be sure that if you're going on your own that you're familiar with the hunting area and the boundaries. If you find your way on to private land and get caught, there may be serious consequences. Be sure to hunt with a buddy. Don't go out by yourself. Finding a reputable guide in your area would be wise. If they can guarantee you a harvest for $200, that's a good deal. Notice I used the word "harvest" rather than "kill". The best term would be "harvest" as most of the "anti" folks and the folks who may be otherwise undecided about hunting may be disturbed by the word "kill". Folks tend do be a lot more receptive to hunters who "harvest" game. Just like a shrimp or fish farmer would "harvest" his crop. Since you're a beginning hunter, I would highly recommend the package deal you found. They will teach you how to find and track game as well as how to properly dress and process the game once taken. Guided hunts usually run $500 and up. If they're lending you the firearm, that's one less gun for you to clean. :)

Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions. Happy and safe hunting!

gf

harvest! Good point. I guess I am still in the old school! I had looked into the Guided hunts but when they tell you you can wear shorts and flip flops!! That is where the lack of pizazz comes in!!! I am still looking around to see what else I can find at an affordable price. I may be better off going to one of the camps because If I did go out I would would not have anyone to go with!

harvest! Good point. I guess I am still in the old school! I had looked into the Guided hunts but when they tell you you can wear shorts and flip flops!! That is where the lack of pizazz comes in!!! I am still looking around to see what else I can find at an affordable price. I may be better off going to one of the camps because If I did go out I would would not have anyone to go with!

There are many services out there that will guide you and actually make you work for your game. I'm one of those types of services here in Hawaii. If you were heading this way, I'm tempted to offer you an excellent rate on a hunt. :) We can hunt wild boar year round here in Hawaii. We also have Axis Deer that is very abundant on a couple of our neighboring islands.

gf

There are many services out there that will guide you and actually make you work for your game. I'm one of those types of services here in Hawaii. If you were heading this way, I'm tempted to offer you an excellent rate on a hunt. :) We can hunt wild boar year round here in Hawaii. We also have Axis Deer that is very abundant on a couple of our neighboring islands.

gf

If I start driving right now I can be there in no time at all!!!

Where on the coast ar you? Look at hunts around Okechobee, and I know of some up here in Gulf Hammock. I have hunted by myself for years but their is always someone else in the woods of our club.

All of the hunts I have found are in the Okeechobee area. I did find one that was much farther west but I don't remember just how far.....

Pigs are pigs and there is lots of them not native to the state but well suited. Brbq some for me.

Glock Fan I see you live in Hawaii. I lived on the big Island for years and shot many hogs. Shot placement is critical Unless you are using a big caliber I shot many hogs coming in my garden with 22 stinger loads and a shot behind the ear. Drop like a rock. Thet are very tough,

Glock Fan I see you live in Hawaii. I lived on the big Island for years and shot many hogs. Shot placement is critical Unless you are using a big caliber I shot many hogs coming in my garden with 22 stinger loads and a shot behind the ear. Drop like a rock. Thet are very tough,

I've nailed them with lead nosed .22 LR Winchester White box. There's a triangle formed by the snout and the two eyes. If you hit dead center, you'll drop 'um every time. I do a lot of trapping on private land, and that's were we normally hit them using whatever's handy. I know one guy who uses a ball peen hammer. :haha:

When shooting at the hogs in the wild, I use my .357 mag revolver if I'm in a public hunting area, and on private land, I've been successful with my Glock 23.

You do bring up a good point that shot placement is critical in bringing down the hogs in an ethical and humane manner. Here in PRHI, you're required to have a Hawaii Hunting License on public and private land. Hope you had your hunting license. :wink: I've seen many folks busted for hunting on their own property. :eek:

gf

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back