Florida carry into a bank

DHughes757

In Florida can a CCW holder carry in a bank? Of course i know that it would have to be concealed. I have asked numerous people and LEO's this question and have gotten different answers. I haven't been able to get a direct answer from the Internet searches I've done either. I admittedly am not the best at Law research on the Internet. Anyone have a definite answer with credible source reference?

I never go into a bank. However, unless it is a school, place of nuisance, bar or place that has a "no firearms allowed" post, it should be ok. BTW, I tend to carry pretty much everywhere I go - even if they have signs. If you are properly concealed, how would they ever know. :)

Credible source = Link Removed...scroll to paragraph (12)

(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

I have learned that we are able to carry into buildings with signs posted. We would not be arrested but could be asked to leave. They have that right. Unless it's a place that we are not legally allowed to carry. I think I'm being clear enough in that.

Thank you for posting that. I hadn't found that one. I found an abridged version but not that long descriptive one. I'm not sure why. I really appreciate it! I had deputies tell me I was not permitted to carry into a bank.

I have tried but 90% of the time the website says that the link I am requesting has been removed. I'm not sure why. It's frustrating. I read articles but I like concrete statutes better.

Go to pretty much any gun store and purchase the "Florida Firearms Law, Use, & Ownership" book written by Jon H. Gutmacher, Esq. ISBN 0-9641958-4-4 - About $26.00.. It give you the laws and explains them in pretty plain English (well for a Lawyer!!!) Or through Link Removed.. IF you buy it used, be aware of the year of the edition... I bought one a couple of years ago and it is Sixth edition (2009) but there are sixth editions that are 2006.... I would buy the latest edition to get all the updated laws..

It is true that a sign itself is useless, however if you are asked to leave you need to - it becomes a tresspassing issue and in which case your weapon also becomes an issue. As far as reading the law, Gutmacher's book is a very good one, however the law is constitanly changing - recent changes have been made to gun regulation and more are to come. Log onto either myfloridahouse.gov or flsenate.gov and search statute 790. That will be the current law and will be updated as the law changes without you having to buy a new copy of Mr. Gutmacher's book every year(and yes, the law will more than likely change again next year as it did last year)

I am NOT a Fla., resident but a bank is Fed. It is a No-No

You are wrong. Just because they are INSURED by the FDIC does not mean it's RUN by the Fed's. In FL you can conceal carry in a bank as long as it's not RUN by the Fed's.

This video will help.

I am NOT a Fla., resident but a bank is Fed. It is a No-No

Not so! Just because a bank handles federal notes (money) doesn't make it a federal building or possesion. The cash may be insured by the FDIC but that doesn't make it a fedreal building. As a matter of fact banks are private property chains stores much like a Burger King.

Unless there is a sign posted prohibiting the carry of firearms on the premises, there is no State regulation preventing it.

Personally, there have been few occasions to physically go into a bank but the last time I did was to get my account staraightened out after my bank merged into another chain. I sat in the back officers office while I was CCing. No sign on the door.

TTBOMK there are no federal laws specifically prohibiting the legal carry in a bank. There are laws on the book that amplify the penalties if a gun is used in the commision of a crime and even more so if the crime is bank robery.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back