FL Open Carry Bill Filed SB-234

Here is the link to the text of the bill. I read it and It seems easy enough to understand. If you are a CCW permit holder, you may also carry openly. The normal restrictions as to where still apply, although a couple of the restricted places have been removed or ammended.

Florida House Bill 517

+1 on that. I fail to see the bias against OC. Just like I fail to sea the bais against gay, lesbian and bisexual people serving in the military. (pun intended)

All the same I do not agree with allowing OPENLY flaunting your sexuality in the Armed Forces. Way to many distractions to a group this is supposed to Kill or be in support of those that are to Kill. Discipline to the NTH degree is required and cannot be maintained if everyone's distracted. AO's & AE's were nothing more then floating bordellos. Now they're wanting to add again another facet to this already biased force. Dam glad I'm out. (Off Active Duty, not the closet).

Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread. And yea, if your licensed to CC, you should be able to OC. YOUR choice.

Although both of these bills are similar, HB 517 has gotten more traction and is about to be taken to the house for approval after a 14-4 Yay-Nay vote in Judiciary.
I admit that even though the bill states open carry, since there are no details, I have read that it only pertains to accidentally printing or showing your concealed carry. I have read that it is to "open carry but not to carry openly" which I cannot understand at all.
Can someone shed some light? Will we have true open carry in Florida even if it is only for the CWP holders?

My reading of both house's bills is that as long as you have the license, you will be able to open carry.

And if the state gets the problem with preemption corrected, where they can force the cities/counties to abide by the law that says only the state may make weapons laws other than the Feds. So much the better. Never make a law that you can't enforce with a penalty.:no:

Florida SB 234 just passed Senate Judiciary Committee withOUT and ammendments. Now on to the rules committee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 04/12/2011 5:00pm

How many more stops does this bill go thru till it becomes a law? By making it this far, does this bill have a good chance?

How many more stops does this bill go thru till it becomes a law? By making it this far, does this bill have a good chance?
As both the Bills are going thru at the same time and getting about the same percentage of votes, I'd say 80/20 as the final result. April 26th is the last day for committee meetings.

FLORIDA CARRY, INC. LEGISLATIVE ALERT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – April 25, 2011
SB 234 – On Senate Special Calendar for April 27, 2011

Members and friends,

We’re down to the wire. On Wednesday, the Senate will vote on SB 234. This bill includes open carry, vehicle carry, DOACS fingerprint authorization, and long gun/shotgun contiguous state purchase authorization.

Of course, the most contentious element is open carry. This is going to be a squeaker, folks. By now, the Senators should have already made up their minds. Nonetheless, Florida Carry is requesting one last push to deliver this baby.

We’ve shown the untruthful (and perhaps unlawful) tactics used by the various Sheriff’s offices and the Florida Sheriff’s Association that has spurred an official investigation by the State Attorney’s Office, FDLE, and OCSO internal affairs. Pinellas County Sheriff Coats told the committees his speculation on open carry, then admitted that he hadn’t researched how open carry works in any other state. The deputies of the Hillsborough County Sherriff’s Office pulled over and detained a licensed concealed carrier just a few days ago for “printing” of his lawfully carried firearm despite their Sheriff’s testimony to the legislature that his officers would never do such a thing. The fact is that, not a single opposition speaker has ever addressed how so many other states could have open carry without the doom and gloom consequences that they espouse. Is it coincidence that the same predictions were made in 1987, by the same organizations, with regards to shall-issue concealed carry?

Please take a moment and fire up your e-mail clients one more time. Thank you for your continued support, and with any luck, we’ll be seeing you at an open carry picnic sometime in the near future!

Feel free to use the e-mail helper below, and thank you again for your solid support. We’re almost there, and we just need a final push to get this bill to the Governor’s desk for his promised signature.
E-mail Helper (feel free to cut, copy, paste, and edit to suit)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TO:
[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

SUBJECT: Vote for Open Carry in SB 234

Dear Senator,

Senate Bill 234 deserves your support, as do the 801,219 active concealed carry licensees who have patiently waited for this bill for over 23 years. Governor Scott has already stated he will sign the bill as a 2nd Amendment supporter and open carry advocate. Florida is one of only seven states that do not permit some form of general open carry. The objections raised by law enforcement and retail associations make no mention that the practice of open carry is successful in 43 states, nor do they acknowledge their dire predictions are the same “blood in the streets” arguments of almost a quarter-century ago. Those predictions have been proven unfounded.

Please help support the law abiding carriers of Florida and vote in favor of SB 234.

Respectfully yours,

<your name>

About: Florida Carry is a non-profit, non-partisan, grassroots organization dedicated to advancing the fundamental civil right of all Floridians to keep and bear arms for self defense as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article I Section 8 of the Florida Constitution. Florida Carry, Inc. was organized by a group of Florida gun rights activists in order to better coordinate activities, effectively lobby the state legislature, and to provide a legal entity capable of filing suit to demand compliance with state and federal law. Florida Carry stands only to represent our members and the over 6 million gun owners of Florida. We are not beholden to any national organization's agenda that may compromise that mission.
Florida Carry works tirelessly toward repealing and striking down ill-conceived gun control laws that have been proven to provide safe havens to criminals and be deadly to law abiding citizens.

So it has been updated but I don't understand? Any help would be much appreciated.
This is what the page says. :neo:
04/27/2011 Senate
• Read 2nd time
• Amendment(s) adopted (688734)
• Ordered engrossed
• Placed on 3rd reading

For this year, we have failed to legalize common sense open carry provisions that would protect the right of Floridians to bear arms in whatever manner is appropriate to their environment and situation.

The Florida Senate accepted a last minute amendment by Sen. Bogdanoff (R) that removed the well considered open carry provision and replaced it with language that is subjective, vague, and only intended to address the NRA's sole OC "talking point" of momentary or inadvertent exposure of your licensed, concealed, handgun.

Florida Carry, Inc. was formed to protect all Americans who choose to exercise their fundamental right to bear arms for self defense while residents or visitors to the great state of Florida. We are quite encouraged by our recent political victories in multiple Florida counties and the pending success of HB 45 (Preemption Enforceability)
We are working on a "hail Mary" effort to salvage the current open carry bill.

We are also already drafting next year's pro-gun legislation and planning additional "grass roots" activities for our members.

Remember that it took 7 years for "Shall Issue" concealed carry to pass here. This is a fight that WE WILL WIN! For it be successful, we need you to Join Florida Carry and be ready to advocate loudly (but politely) for our rights.

Hey folks! I'm a new member, joined because of this florida open carry law (and, fingers crossed, the concealed carry package give away!!:biggrin:)
I heard about it on the radio this morning and found this forum while doing some research.
Per normal MSM reporting, I am left with more questions than answers.
The report I heard said there would be no penalties for legal CWP holders that accidentally expose their weapon? is this true?
I read the bill on the state website and could not find any specific language regarding this particular part of the law.
Anyway...thanks for the forum! i'm looking forward to seeing what else is available here at USA Carry!

Sorry, but Florida SB-234 WAS NOT an "open carry" law. It was to prevent concealed carry license holders from being arrested if a gust of wind blew open a jacket, revealing a lawfully carried concealed weapon. Note that the bill says "briefly" regarding open carry. It was also to keep CCW holders from being arrested for locking up their weapons in their cars, when they needed to go into a venue where they were not allowed to carry (e.g., govt. bldgs, schools, bars, etc.). SB-234 is a good start toward open carry, but we've got a long way to go yet, here in Florida.

Based on the recent difficulty in getting a law passed to protect concealed carriers from prosecution for accidentally exposing the concealed gun, I suspect this law will have a hard time getting through the legislature...but best of luck. Glad I live in Virginia.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back