FL - Do I have a duty to inform am officer I am carrying?

TLoK

TheLegendofKĕvō.com
I don't anticipate getting pulled over anytime soon and am generally respectful to police officers. However, as I'm researching more about what the Constitution protects us from and how so many regulations (illegal laws) are in contradiction to it, I'm tempted to be one of those, "None of your business. AM I BEING DETAINED?!" guys. Well, not really. But it has crossed my mind.

Before you start preaching about "if you respected the law, you wouldn't get pulled over," know that I haven't been pulled over in over 5 years. I'm just curious.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Link Removed

Must Inform Officer by Law: NO. See http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf. However, that is for voluntarily offering that information without the officer asking for it. If the officer asks if you are armed or if you have a firearm in the vehicle, that is an entirely different legal matter.

I don't anticipate getting pulled over anytime soon and am generally respectful to police officers. However, as I'm researching more about what the Constitution protects us from and how so many regulations (illegal laws) are in contradiction to it, I'm tempted to be one of those, "None of your business. AM I BEING DETAINED?!" guys. Well, not really. But it has crossed my mind.

Before you start preaching about "if you respected the law, you wouldn't get pulled over," know that I haven't been pulled over in over 5 years. I'm just curious.

Do you have a FL permit? If you do, you should know the answer already.

Must Inform Officer by Law: NO. See http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf. However, that is for voluntarily offering that information without the officer asking for it. If the officer asks if you are armed or if you have a firearm in the vehicle, that is an entirely different legal matter.
Thanks. I was asking because the instructor said so during the CCW course but he was an older gentleman and got a few other things wrong so I wondered if this was one of the ones he may have gotten wrong (he claimed that you could not "open carry" inside your vehicle under any circumstances, and that Florida imposed a 3 step rule. You CAN in fact open carry inside you're vehicle if you have a CCW permit and Florida does not impose a 3 step rule regardless of whether you have permit). Also, I skimmed the article on USA Carry and saw that the answer was "no," but missed the bit before where it stated that the info was only in reference to scenarios where the officer didn't ask.

Obviously, there are people who don't rather laugh at the fat guy getting on the treadmill rather than acknowledge his effort to fix the problem. And on this thread, there are similar people who'd rather laugh at someone trying to gain knowledge than spend as much or less energy sharing it. So again, thanks for being awesome!

Thanks. I was asking because the instructor said so during the CCW course but he was an older gentleman and got a few other things wrong so I wondered if this was one of the ones he may have gotten wrong (he claimed that you could not "open carry" inside your vehicle under any circumstances, and that Florida imposed a 3 step rule. You CAN in fact open carry inside you're vehicle if you have a CCW permit and Florida does not impose a 3 step rule regardless of whether you have permit). Also, I skimmed the article on USA Carry and saw that the answer was "no," but missed the bit before where it stated that the info was only in reference to scenarios where the officer didn't ask.

Obviously, there are people who don't rather laugh at the fat guy getting on the treadmill rather than acknowledge his effort to fix the problem. And on this thread, there are similar people who'd rather laugh at someone trying to gain knowledge than spend as much or less energy sharing it. So again, thanks for being awesome!

Make sure you keep up with the laws of your state. They do change over time. That's why instructors and police officers often get it wrong when it comes to the law. They learned it once and never thought to check if something changed. I always keep track of the bills in my state legislature. handgunlaw.us is my primary source for checking on other states, as it also contains the links, or at least the numbers, of the involved criminal codes.

Make sure you keep up with the laws of your state. They do change over time. That's why instructors and police officers often get it wrong when it comes to the law. They learned it once and never thought to check if something changed. I always keep track of the bills in my state legislature. handgunlaw.us is my primary source for checking on other states, as it also contains the links, or at least the numbers, of the involved criminal codes.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. And that makes sense.

No duty

You don't have a duty in Florida to reveal that you are a CCW permitted individual, but, your are responsible for being well versed in the law for which you obviously are not. If you are a FL resident go to myFlorida.com. There is a page specifically dedicated to FL CCW with links to the laws, fac's, reciprocity and much more.
With all that said, be aware that if you get pulled over you may be asked about your status. May not be tied to you tag number, but is taged to your name ( on registration) and license.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back