Fl CWP and SC CWP

Bob

I currently have two residences, one in Florida and one in
Myrtle Beach South Carolina. I know that FL and SC have
reciprocity agreements but I'd like to have a CWP from both
States. My CWP from Florida is current so my question is
can I get a SC CWP without giving up my FL CWP and have both?

Unrelated:
I went by the Hammer Down Gun Shop in Myrtle Beach last
week. It's located off the old Waccamaw Blvd down the road
from Bob Evan's (headed East) it's on the left and on the
second floor. Nice folks, limited inventory.

Thank you!

If you own property in SC you can get an SC non-resident permit and that would not cause any problems with your FL permit. Otherwise I don't know. I can't think of any advantage of having an SC permit in addition to a FL permit. Is there?

I can't think of any advantage of having an SC permit in addition to a FL permit. Is there?

None that I know of FN1910. More of a 'curious' question on my part. Thank you for your reply.
Best wishes!

As stated, yes you can. And I would get an S.C. permit. I know in these tough times it's kind of hard to justify but I feel if you live, work or travel in a state then you should have a permit in that state. (throwing aside the whole arguement that you should not need the governments permission in the first place.)

Here's the reason I would get one.... on the chance you are stopped by an LEO here in S.C. I think an SC permit will cause less questions than a Florida one... it will of course depend on the LEO, but it surely would not hurt.

Question, In which state do you hold a valid DL? You can't hold both a SCDL and a FLDL. Since you already have a Fl cwp I'm assuming that that is where your DL is. Can you see the hassle you will get handing a LEO a SC resident permit and a FL. DL. Just a thought. However I'm with FL1910 why would you want to do that? Plus you can't get a resident permit without a SCDL.

I don't mean to highjack the thread, but I am curious about the FL and SC permits. I am about 80 days in on my SC permit application and I am dissapointed to know that I can't carry in GA. However, if I had the ability to get a non-resident FL permit I would be able to. Am I correct on this? and if I don't own any property or have any proof of residence (except twice a year on a cruise ship out of one of the FL ports :biggrin:) would I be able to get a FL non-Resident permit?

If Bob got an SC resident and a FL non-resident he would have a better range of places he could carry.

I don't mean to highjack the thread, but I am curious about the FL and SC permits. I am about 80 days in on my SC permit application and I am dissapointed to know that I can't carry in GA. However, if I had the ability to get a non-resident FL permit I would be able to. Am I correct on this? and if I don't own any property or have any proof of residence (except twice a year on a cruise ship out of one of the FL ports :biggrin:) would I be able to get a FL non-Resident permit?

If Bob got an SC resident and a FL non-resident he would have a better range of places he could carry.

When you get your SC permit immediately apply for a NH permit. $20 and gives you privleges in GA plus several other states. To add a FL permit it will give you NV and DE in addition to the SC/NH combo.

Check out this to see what is covered.

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

This is the NH permit. Make a copy of your SC DL and CWP, fill out the form send it in along wthe $20 and GA is covered.

Link Removed

Last edited:
THANK YOU!

The map is where I got the idea of applying to FL. I didn't try to see what other states would help. Its crazy that NH will allow SC and GA will allow NH....but GA won't allow SC directly. Doesn't make much sence, but if its thats easy..I'll gladly send $20 to NH.

I just wish WI would issue now. My brother is up there and I'd really like to be able to carry there.

Wingman makes a good point. Since FL and SC are reciprocal, just get the FL one. Then also apply for the NH non-resident so you can carry through GA.

THANK YOU!

The map is where I got the idea of applying to FL. I didn't try to see what other states would help. Its crazy that NH will allow SC and GA will allow NH....but GA won't allow SC directly. Doesn't make much sence, but if its thats easy..I'll gladly send $20 to NH.

I just wish WI would issue now. My brother is up there and I'd really like to be able to carry there.

GA will honor any state that honor theirs. SC will not honor GA permits because GA does not require any training so the GA-SC reciprocity is a long ways off. This was beat into the ground last legislative session so don't expect it anytime soon without a big change in attitudes.

If you have a Florida Permit (non resident or resident) you can carry in GA.... You can only get a non resident N.H. permit if you already have a permit from your resident state, like S.C.

I still say if you have property and pay taxes on it in S.C. then you should get the S.C. permit. One of the more important reasons would be to take a CWP class and learn the laws in S.C. which are different than FL, GA, NH and every where else.

I still say if you have property and pay taxes on it in S.C. then you should get the S.C. permit.
Which begs a question... I have property in SC and pay taxes there . . . when I apply for a SC Permit (I'm hoping to get down to take the class in September), do I apply for the Res permit, or the Non-Res? Seems like I'd apply for the Non-Res, but the wording of the instructions makes it a little confusing.

I currently have two residences, one in Florida and one in
Myrtle Beach South Carolina. I know that FL and SC have reciprocity agreements
but I'd like to have a CWP from both States. My CWP from Florida is current so
my question is can I get a SC CWP without giving up my FL CWP and have both?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you pay taxes on the MB property, then you can get a SC permit. Go to the SLED
website and download the form. It has to be signed off by the tax office in MB, and
you have to take the SC class. Kind of a waste of money/time when we finally got
SLED to get reciprocity...

Howard

Question, In which state do you hold a valid DL? You can't hold both a SCDL and a FLDL. Since you already have a Fl cwp I'm assuming that that is where your DL is. Can you see the hassle you will get handing a LEO a SC resident permit and a FL. DL. Just a thought. However I'm with FL1910 why would you want to do that? Plus you can't get a resident permit without a SCDL.
---------------------------------------------

Actually - no problem. Reciprocity is recognized and accepted by the LE community. The new non-resident permit allows for anyone owning property & paying taxes on it in SC to get a SC permit. Again, not necessary since we have reciprocity, and I see no real benefit but that's not my call...

Howard

Which begs a question... I have property in SC and pay taxes there . . . when I apply for a SC Permit (I'm hoping to get down to take the class in September), do I apply for the Res permit, or the Non-Res? Seems like I'd apply for the Non-Res, but the wording of the instructions makes it a little confusing.
-------------------------------------------

The form is the same (new one on SLED website, fill it in on-line and print it).
If you have any other questions, PM me and I'll go over the process.

Howard
[email protected]

If you have a Florida Permit (non resident or resident) you can carry in GA.... You can only get a non resident N.H. permit if you already have a permit from your resident state, like S.C.

I still say if you have property and pay taxes on it in S.C. then you should get the S.C. permit. One of the more important reasons would be to take a CWP class and learn the laws in S.C. which are different than FL, GA, NH and every where else.
-------------------------------------------------
To meet the requirements of 23-31-210, the applicant must certify that he/she has taken a class which
includes
"... information on the statutory and case law of this State relating to handguns and to the use of deadly force; "

seems to me that about the only way to fill this requirement is to take the SC class... but that said, I'm working
w/ SLED on a determination of just what must entail.

Howard

----------------------------------------------
If you're primary concern is Ga, then a NH permit is the way to go - much cheaper and easier. Last time I checked, NH was $20 and Fl was $117. Might be higher now...

Howard

Thank you. I've printed the application and I'm just waiting on my SC CWP.

By the way, thank you for all of the detailed SC law information you've been posting up.

If you own property in SC you can get an SC non-resident permit and that would not cause any problems with your FL permit. Otherwise I don't know. I can't think of any advantage of having an SC permit in addition to a FL permit. Is there?
A FL. Permit carries almost 3 times as many states as S.C., including GA. GOOD Enough reason ?

----------------------------------------------
If you're primary concern is Ga, then a NH permit is the way to go - much cheaper and easier. Last time I checked, NH was $20 and Fl was $117. Might be higher now...

Howard

The NH is now $100. PA is much less and about the same process so look into PA. When mine comes up for renewal I will probably go PA rather then NH.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back