First Time Pulled Over While Carrying

Jeff S

JSGlock26
I was pulled over yesterday by a NY State Trooper for a brake light that was out. After the officer told me why he stopped me, I informed him (with hands at 10 and 2) that I was a licensed concealed carry permit holder and I was in fact carrying. He asked me where it was and I told him on my left side. I keep my wallet and my permit separate and when he asked if it was in my wallet, I told him it was in my left front pocket. When asked if he wanted to see it he replied no. That was it. No other gun conversation. I guess he felt that if I was forthright about it, there was no need to confirm I had a permit. All in all a boring scenerio, which I am not complaining about. Others might say I shouldn't have notified him, but I feel that if I was an officer, I would want to know ahead of time. Just my thoughts.

In Nc your required to disclose that info. if stopped by a law officer.That don't seem to like it if they find out themselves?

Here in TN, your "Handgun Carry Permit" number is the exact same number as your drivers license, so the cop kwow's just from your license plate wether or not your a permit holder before he/she pulls you over if your in your own vehicle, or he/she knows when they call in your drivers license number to NCIC during the standard process of issuing you a ticket, etc. There is no law here that says you have a duty to inform, etc. So, if they do not ask, you do not have to tell....LOL...sort of like the "Don't ask don't tell policy" in the military,,HaHa

Yeah NY being so crazy about gun laws still makes me shocked we don't have to notify the police. I have not been pulled over yet, but I would inform them out of respect. Why make a big deal over something minor. Good to hear the trooper was professional and didn't go all Ohio on you. We NYers know how uptight they can be, especially after that shooting last year with the cab.

Wow...hard to believe that in NY they wouldn't want to confirm you had a permit by at least looking at it. Of course I guess he hadn'seen your handgun either and may have figure out of sight out of mind.

Here in TN, your "Handgun Carry Permit" number is the exact same number as your drivers license, so the cop kwow's just from your license plate wether or not your a permit holder before he/she pulls you over if your in your own vehicle, or he/she knows when they call in your drivers license number to NCIC during the standard process of issuing you a ticket, etc. There is no law here that says you have a duty to inform, etc. So, if they do not ask, you do not have to tell....LOL...sort of like the "Don't ask don't tell policy" in the military,,HaHa

Just to clarify, in TN they can't tell if the driver has a HCP by running your license plate. No HCP info is attached to your license plate number. Now they can take the name from the license plate information, run that name and see if that person has a HCP. But nothing says the registered owner is the one driving the vehicle or like with my son's truck it is in his and my name. I have a HCP, he doesn't. When I used to dispatch we didn't routinely run the information we got of license plate for DL/HCP information because as said before, that doesn't mean it is who is driving. We usually waited for the officer to call in the DL number. Of course many times he may not do that, just issue a verbal warning and never know if the person had a HCP or not unless they brought it up.

Out of curiosity, what part of New York was this? Right outside NYC, upstate, etc... I would imagine that the more rural parts would get different reactions than right outside NYC.

Congratulations for getting out of it without any difficulty at all. Not many are as lucky as you...

I don't think this is an accurate statement. I've been stopped while carrying, without a problem. And I think that's true of most stops. No hassle or very little hassle, as long as you aren't breaking the law or making the officer feel threatened.

I was pulled over while carrying without a permit in Arkansas by a pair of troopers for driving a p.o.s. I had a bag on the seat of my truck. They wanted to look in it. I told them I had a handgun in there. No big deal. They looked through my bag. Told me to get a permit and gave me a warning about my tag lights or something.

Hate to shock anyone here but this is how most encounters are, hence the reason why people dont bother putting videos of peaceful encounters with cops all over the internet.

FL LEO can confirm it without your permit number. Not sure if they run it by SSN or what. I'm sure NY is the same way

FL LEO can confirm it without your permit number. Not sure if they run it by SSN or what. I'm sure NY is the same way

Could be like TN also.

In TN a LEO can get DL/HCP info by Name only, Name and DOB, SSN and I think 1 or 2 other ways, been a few years.

I'm just saying in TN (and no other state I know of for sure) it is not a one step process to know if someone has a permit from their license plate.

Yeah NY being so crazy about gun laws still makes me shocked we don't have to notify the police. I have not been pulled over yet, but I would inform them out of respect. Why make a big deal over something minor. Good to hear the trooper was professional and didn't go all Ohio on you. We NYers know how uptight they can be, especially after that shooting last year with the cab.
The crazy gun laws claims are unfounded. Other than requiring a permit, not allowoing reciprocity and not issueing non-res permits, NY has some very liberal practices. Once you get a permit you have more rights than in most "gun friendly" states. However, I would not volunteer this information unless asked to step out of the car or if the gun is in a pocketbook or glove box that must be opened.

At the present time NY can't verify by SS number or drivers license. Never give your SS number to anyone other than a NICS check or tax filing.

The crazy gun laws claims are unfounded. Other than requiring a permit, not allowoing reciprocity and not issueing non-res permits, NY has some very liberal practices. Once you get a permit you have more rights than in most "gun friendly" states. However, I would not volunteer this information unless asked to step out of the car or if the gun is in a pocketbook or glove box that must be opened.

Agree with all of it.

It's just that I thought it was near impossible to get a permit in NY....

Agree with all of it.

It's just that I thought it was near impossible to get a permit in NY....
I will agree that NYS treats permit applicants unfairly. As a discretionary state the level of carry they allow is based on the sole opinion of the licensing agent (judge or police official). Some counties such as Dutchess, Orange and Ulster (40 miles from NYC) regularly grant unrestricted permits while others place restrictions on carry. For those with restrictions we always recommend they take a concealed carry class or NRA PPOTH and then file for an amendment to the license, unrestricting the carry. Another tactic is to become an NRA certified instructor and then ask to have restrictions lifted. But there are still some judges who will interject their personal or politcal views and deny the request. As part of our permit services we often have an attorney appear with the applicant to argue the case for removing restrictions. It costs a little bit more but most applicants find it worth the extra effort.

Many USA Carry members have followed our advice and were issued a full CCW permit without any problem.

Sorry if I blew your cover Jeff! :secret: BTW, we're doing a free PP shooting clinic in Sept.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back